You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you play this spot?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Flip that argument around. If i haeve JJ+ and im sure he's got a PP and he wouldnt expect me to jam JJ+ then surely shoving is +ev if im going to get looked up by a loose villain who cant give me credit for anything.

So theortically if I can shove JJ+ with +ev then shoving AK isnt unbalanced.  Even though I dont think villain cares about whats balanced.

Just in this case... PPs dont make up most of his range.  So in this case a shove with AK will be +ev if im getting folds most of the time, and a shove with JJ+ won't be the most +ve line.

Its about what range he thinks i've assigned him... although im sure he doesnt care.

Its evident that he's not a thinking player.  He is thinking about what he has... not what I have.  The question is does he fold the flop a certain % of the time to make this play +ev.  IMO on a paired board where his range is still as wide as harrys waistline... probably.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: How do you play this spot?:
    indeed bl if our range consists of 80% value % 20% bluffs then it doesn't matter that we jam 100% because it's good only dependant on oppo perceived range and tendacies post as to if we check,bet or jam. in turn what we do on flop can change our range pre ie. can we hold 40% bluffs if oppo folds x amount on flop given reads I would opt to jam 100% of range
    Posted by rancid
    I'm not sure which reads you're talking about.

The only reads I could think of that could make this shove the most +EV play with our value range would be...

i) The villain is going to call any bet with any pair. 

ii) The villain will not bluff if we check to him and must improve to call any bet with his unpaired hole cards.

Those two reads could make shoving the flop the best option with our value hands.

However, we don't need to worry about balancing our range against someone that doesn't bluff or call light. So if we have those reads, we should shove our value hands and bet small with our unpaired hands. I don't think we have those reads, though.
  • edited November 2013

Flip that argument around. If i haeve JJ+ and im sure he's got a PP and he wouldnt expect me to jam JJ+ then surely shoving is +ev if im going to get looked up by a loose villain who cant give me credit for anything.

So theortically if I can shove JJ+ with +ev then shoving AK isnt unbalanced.  Even though I dont think villain cares about whats balanced.

Just in this case... PPs dont make up most of his range.  So in this case a shove with AK will be +ev if im getting folds most of the time, and a shove with JJ+ won't be the most +ve line.

Its about what range he thinks i've assigned him... although im sure he doesnt care.

Its evident that he's not a thinking player.  He is thinking about what he has... not what I have.  The question is does he fold the flop a certain % of the time to make this play +ev.  IMO on a paired board where his range is still as wide as harrys waistline... probably.
    Posted by gazza127
    The bolded portion: Now you're talking about levelling. You've given us no indication that this thought process is likely to be happening at the table. If you knew that he'd think you'd be shoving JJ+ here, then shoving AK wouldn't be unbalanced... but you don't know that, or at least you've not told us about it. Without that specific read, he's going to assume you wouldn't shove JJ+ because you shouldn't. If you shouldn't have JJ+ then shoving AK would be unbalanced.

It doesn't matter if the villain understands balancing. He understands which hands he can beat and which hands he thinks your betting looks like. Even if he doesn't know what a balanced range is, he knows how to beat an unbalanced one.

The non-bolded portions: As I said earlier the shove probably won't be +EV if we are only being called by hands that beat us. Even if it was +EV, it wouldn't be the most +EV as we have the option to bet smaller or check to induce bluffs.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: How do you play this spot? : I'm not sure which reads you're talking about. The only reads I could think of that could make this shove the most +EV play with our value range would be... i) The villain is going to call any bet with any pair.  ii) The villain will not bluff if we check to him and must improve to call any bet with his unpaired hole cards. Those two reads could make shoving the flop the best option with our value hands. However, we don't need to worry about balancing our range against someone that doesn't bluff or call light. So if we have those reads, we should shove our value hands and bet small with our unpaired hands. I don't think we have those reads, though.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    BL ok, so what is the most +ev play with our range ?

• edited November 2013
    Flip that argument around. If i haeve JJ+ and im sure he's got a PP and he wouldnt expect me to jam JJ+ then surely shoving is +ev if im going to get looked up by a loose villain who cant give me credit for anything. So theortically if I can shove JJ+ with +ev then shoving AK isnt unbalanced.  Even though I dont think villain cares about whats balanced. Just in this case... PPs dont make up most of his range.  So in this case a shove with AK will be +ev if im getting folds most of the time, and a shove with JJ+ won't be the most +ve line. Its about what range he thinks i've assigned him... although im sure he doesnt care. Its evident that he's not a thinking player.  He is thinking about what he has... not what I have.  The question is does he fold the flop a certain % of the time to make this play +ev.  IMO on a paired board where his range is still as wide as harrys waistline... probably.
    Posted by gazza127
    Sigh, don't drag me into this! You're all using big poker speak words that I don't understand :(
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: How do you play this spot? : Sigh, don't drag me into this! You're all using big poker speak words that I don't understand :(
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Totally talking about a different Harry....

maybe.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: How do you play this spot? : BL ok, so what is the most +ev play with our range ?
    Posted by rancid
    Well, it depends on our reads. We think the villain's range is very wide, so how do we gain value from it?

If we think he'll bluff his weaker hands if we check, we should check-call.

If we think he'll call a small bet with his junky hands, we should bet small.

If we think he could bluff raise when we bet small, we should bet-call.

If we think he will neither bluff when we check, nor call a bet unless he's caught something, then we should bet small to steal his equity and give up if he doesn't fold. Checking would just be giving him a free card to get there.

The same would be true whether we had AK or quads. We're not trying to get value from a narrow part of his range when we have the nuts, and we're not unbalancing our range by betting small or checking with AK.

You can go into a thousand different scenarios based on previous history. If we want to shove, though, it should be because he can call us with lots of worse hands - so thinks we'd be 3-betting big, then shoving the flop very, very wide - or he can fold all his hands weaker than AA or KK - so we've always had one of these hands when we've done it in the past.

If we were in a vacuum, we could give a fairly definitive answer on what's going to be best in general - probably be scared by the pre-flop flat and give him a range like AK, QQ, JJ, TT - but we're not in a vacuum here.
  • edited November 2013
    im not too sure what all the discussions are about ?? the hand isnt that interesting..?? and BL u tilt me so much with parragraphs of if's and but's which arent too relevant to the hand in question ..!! 

as the hand has played we have a pot sized bet left in a 3bet pot - im Jammin 100% of my range - i would do this with JJ , AA and most importantly all my bluffs i was squeezing with pre- i dont see any other play given the pot size and how we've got to the flop..?? 

i dont want to sound arrogant or arsey but i dont care tbh- most the ppl who do post on this forum are stuck in 2009 - noone seems to want to throw anything different out there or adapt to any kind of change- (this has no relevance to the hand in question) IM JUS SAYING..!!

i also saw BL state...

The only reasons to shove the flop are:
    i) We can be called by worse hands.
    ii) He can fold better hands.

there are two more big reasons that ppl never take into account, ofcourse we bet for value and bet to bluff- but we also have to take into account betting to protect and bet to stop us being bluffed off the best hand 

these two are just as important but ppl never think about them- 

to relate this to the hand in question then why chck what could be the best hand but is soo vunerable- say the Q comes on the turn and now villain jams?? he could have KQ or he could have 67os we just lost the pot by letting him catch up OR he's just bluffed us off the best hand- 

*tilted*

• edited November 2013

im not too sure what all the discussions are about ?? the hand isnt that interesting..?? and BL u tilt me so much with parragraphs of if's and but's which arent too relevant to the hand in question ..!! 

as the hand has played we have a pot sized bet left in a 3bet pot - im Jammin 100% of my range - i would do this with JJ , AA and most importantly all my bluffs i was squeezing with pre- i dont see any other play given the pot size and how we've to the flop..?? 

i dont want to sound arrogant or arsey but i dont care tbh- most the ppl who do post on this forum are stuck in 2009 - noone seems to want to throw anything different out there or adapt to any kind of change- (this has no relevance to the hand in question) IM JUS SAYING..!!

i also saw BL state...

The only reasons to shove the flop are:
    i) We can be called by worse hands.
    ii) He can fold better hands.

there are two more big reasons that ppl never take into account, ofcourse we bet for value and bet to bluff- but we also have to take into account betting to protect and bet to stop us being bluffed off the best hand 

these two are just as important but ppl never think about them- 

to relate this to the hand in question then why chck what could be the best hand but is soo vunerable- say the Q comes on the turn and now villain jams?? he could have KQ or he could have 67os we just lost the pot by letting him catch up OR he's just bluffed us off the best hand- 

*tilted*
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Don't worry about seeming arrogant. I never do. :)

Just on the bolded portion - No one wanting to "adapt to any kind of change" - surely that's what all the ifs and buts are about. We wouldn't want to say something silly like "Shove with 100% of my range" on the flop if it can be demonstrated that this would be bad because of our history with the villain. The ifs and buts are us adapting to our circumstances.

When we bet to protect, that's a value bet. As discussed, we're either looking to be called by worse hands (generally draws) or we're trying to fold out our opponent's equity. That discussion is pretty much what this thread has been about.

When we bet to prevent ourselves being bluffed off the best hand, we've got to ask why we're doing that. Why are we trying to stop our opponent putting more money into the pot with a worse hand?

Sometimes the villain gets there. If we check the flop to allow the villain to bluff but the villain checks back, we have to judge how well the turn hits the villain's range. You say our hand is vulnerable but, as discussed, it isn't.

We're either already behind on the flop or we're at worst a 75% (ish) favourite. On the turn, we go behind around 12.5% of the time to that range.
  • edited November 2013
    that part wasn't directed at anything to do with this thread, just at the general thought process of the forum in general- i read an inspiring blog for vanessa selbst which ill try to find and post about changes in poker..

the if's and but's were in regards to the previous post where u was asked a simple question and responded with too many if's this and if's that- thats jus sooo tilting ..!!! 

and when ever im betting - i dunno bout u guys but im thinking of more than the two u mentioned - betting to protect is not jus a pure value bet - it may be  a hand which shouldnt be good enough to bet for value but i would still bet to protect against a certain range (hint- overs) 

and i also bet to stop myself being bluffed - (cant belive you have never heard of these before) 

an extreme example would be why id cbet KK on Axx - i dont wanna give my opponent the oppoutunity to bluff me off the best hand even if theres not many worse hands that could call a value bet-

in the hand as played i see no point point trying to get cute with AK my whole range would be jamming and expect that i have enoughs value hands ahead of villians calling range for it to be +EV - 

yes this time we have AK and may not improve but this defo isnt the top of our range- id expect to get called a decent amount but aslong as my range is correct, then the whole play will be +EV.. i dont want to bother confusing things with check some hands and betting small with other- jus JAM 100%
  • edited November 2013
    Of course I've heard of betting to avoid being bluffed... I just think it's a massive leak.

If we bet to stop people bluffing, we put ourselves in spots like the one you mention - betting KK on an Ace-high flop. As you say, we're not going to be called by many worse hands, so the value of our bet is likely to be negative. If we check, it's up to us to know whether we're going to be bluffed enough of the time to make the call down.

Betting, though, gives us a situation where we can never make more money, only lose the value of our bet. We also lose the value of bluff-catching and we may still be bluffed on later streets if the villain can float us. Albeit, it may be tough to catch bluffs when we're out of position like this with an underpair. That's just the disadvantage of being OOP. As long as we have some idea of the villain's range we should be able to make better decisions.

In the hand in question, I can only commit to a particular action based upon reads on the villain. In the absence of reads, I could give a specific suggestion based on what I think is most likely in a vacuum, which I did.

We shouldn't be giving advice to do XYZ regardless of reads, though.

As for shoving 100% of your range here, well I've said repeatedly why I think that's bad.

You may well balance your range if you always do this, but you're missing a ton of value every time you get the villain to fold when you have a big hand. You also stack off unnecessarily when you don't have a massive hand.

A much better way to balance your range is to make the most exploitative action in this hand, then remember the line you took the next time you're in a similar situation with this villain. So if you check-fold here with the AK, check next time you're in a similar situation with AA.
  • edited November 2013
    Of course I've heard of betting to avoid being bluffed... I just think it's a massive leak. --- LOL

its not were trying to stop ppl bluffing us its all situational-- 

and yes we shouldnt be giving advise to do XYZ regardless of reads says the person who write 100 line essays in responce to the hand- :)

my analysis is directly based on the information provided and to the situation ive seen- in this hand we have 3bet (given SS behind, i wouldn't have done this) and only have a PSB behind- this definalty isnt bad- ???!!!?? 

i dont understand your last paragraph - 

*edit* i dont understand most of your paragraphs 
  • edited November 2013