You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How would you play this?

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Was a Six-Max (Speed) tournament.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
P1ranha Small blind   50.00 50.00 4885.00
peter27 Big blind   100.00 150.00 1670.00
  Your hole cards

dcj392 Fold        
steel08 Call   100.00 250.00 1735.00
P1ranha Raise   150.00 400.00 4735.00
peter27 Call   100.00 500.00 1570.00
steel08 Call   100.00 600.00 1635.00
Flop

• Q

P1ranha Check        
peter27 Check        
steel08 Check        
Turn

P1ranha Check        
peter27 Check        
steel08 Bet   200.00 800.00 1435.00
P1ranha Fold        
peter27 Call   200.00 1000.00 1370.00
River

peter27 Check        
steel08 Bet   300.00 1300.00 1135.00
peter27 Call   300.00 1600.00 1070.00
steel08 Show

peter27 Show

peter27 Win Flush to the Queen 1600.00   2670.00
Probably could not have got more value considering what he raised with at the end, but do not think I played optimally either. I was worried about a higher flush to be honest. I'm expecting you guys to say my pre-flop call was pretty loose, and I agree completely. As played pre-flop though, what would you do?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to How would you play this?:
    Probably could not have got more value considering what he raised with at the end, but do not think I played optimally either. I was worried about a higher flush to be honest. I'm expecting you guys to say my pre-flop call was pretty loose, and I agree completely. As played pre-flop though, what would you do?
    Posted by peter27
    Loose call pf - absolutely!

post don't think you are getting any more value out of anyone with 4 card flush on board. With such a low flush you are practically playing a bluff catching hand.
  • edited November 2013
    I'd fold pre. Peeling junk like that OOP with these stack sizes is just so bad for us longterm.

As played don't think u can do much different. I'd consider folding the turn/river if he hadn't made it so cheap, our hand is really weak relative to the board. As Phantom says, we basically only have a bluff catcher cos not many people are going to be valuebetting the 3 or 6 of diamonds expecting to get calls from worse.
  • edited November 2013
    With just 17BB, T7o is a junk hand. Fold it pre-flop and save your few blinds for 3-bet shoving spots. We don't want to lose our 3-bet fold equity by calling off chunks of our short stack with hands that can't make the nuts... We don't want to be calling with this stack pre-flop at all, really. We want to be the aggressor unless we have a monster and think someone might continue bluffing into us.

As played...

I'd definitely fold the turn. We only beat a bluff but we're out of position and can expect to see another bet on the river a lot of the time. What we're going to end up doing if we call the turn is to then fold to a river bet anyway. We're basically hoping that he doesn't bet on the river in what is a great bluffing spot once we've checked. That means that a lot of the time when he checks back the river he'll also have a marginal flush. Most of those which bet the turn are flushes that have us beat.

On the river, I suppose it's very player dependent. This bet size looks very likely to be a better hand than ours. In a vacuum, that's what I would say. So, even getting 4.3:1 I think we should probably fold. We're calling off a considerable chunk of our remaining stack and we're not beating any value hand.

I think we need to know specifically that this villain can be doing this, with a small bet on the turn and river as a bluff, for us to call. If we do think it's plausible as a bluff, then it's an easy call because of those pot odds.

As it happens, we had the best hand and made a winning call down. In the long-run, without specific reads that you haven't told us you have, I think it's a bad call down.
  • edited November 2013
    Interesting comments. You guys seem to be valuing the flush (with the 7) much lower than I did at the time. I guess given that as steel08 bet on the turn I should be putting him on a flush - and I did actually. I guess my thought process was that play at this level is usually very loose so it was perfectly possible for him to have a lower flush.

Note: My pre-flop call was because I had no decent cards for ages and felt like playing a speculative hand. Don't make a habit out of this, but I do feel it is nessessary on occasion, just to mix up how you're viewed at the table if anything.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: How would you play this?:
    Interesting comments. You guys seem to be valuing the flush (with the 7) much lower than I did at the time. I guess given that as steel08 bet on the turn I should be putting him on a flush - and I did actually. I guess my thought process was that play at this level is usually very loose so it was perfectly possible for him to have a lower flush. Note: My pre-flop call was because I had no decent cards for ages and felt like playing a speculative hand. Don't make a habit out of this, but I do feel it is nessessary on occasion, just to mix up how you're viewed at the table if anything.
    Posted by peter27

Questions that will help you figure out how strong your hand is.....

1) Is the villain likely to be bluffing on this turn often, with this bet sizing, or always betting for value?

2) How many of the hands that he bets for value can we beat?

3) When the villain bets the river, this size, how likely is he to bluffing now he's bet 2 streets?

4) What hands does he bet small twice with on this board for value on turn and river?

5) Of those hands, how many can we beat?

Our hand here is nothing more than a bluff catcher particularly on the river.

We aren't ahead of many of his value hands at all unless we have reads that he bets really wide 'for thin value'.
    The fact we have a flush is irrelevant really, we are only ever ahead if our opponent is bluffing.

So that's what we need to work out, is he bluffing enough for us to call profitably?

With that bet sizing, he probably is.

Always think about what hands your opponent is representing, and also what hands you think that your opponents think you have.

Poker is tough, too much to think about all at the same time :(
  • edited November 2013
    very nice answer - wp
  • edited November 2013
    fold pre

fold more post

• edited November 2013
    Fold pre. I don't mind raising either but your stacksize is very awkward so prob fold

Fold turn, river fine

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: How would you play this?:
    The fact we have a flush is irrelevant really, we are only ever ahead if our opponent is bluffing.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'm not sure I agree with this TBH. At these levels, in this situation, you often seen players seeing the hand through to the end with the hole card of the flush being a 3 or 4. The play is very loose and 7 is a card in the middle area of the pack. Then again the 5, 4 and 2 are on the board anyway - that only leaves the 6 and 3 that I'm beating - didn't think about this before -.-