You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what would you do in this hand?...

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This was from tonights mini with around 18 left.  The player had only just joined the table so don't have any info on them...

To be honest, I feel I played it pretty cautiously and don't really love the limping in pre-flop so kind of wished I had either folded or raised but now I've called pre-flop my question is...

In the long term is my call on the river correct or should I be folding?...

OR

does this hand come down to me playing it badly pre-flop?...
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
FACETHEACE Small blind  6000.00 6000.00 287567.23
88MickyC Big blind  12000.00 18000.00 185526.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

MrEatsLar Fold     
pne4me Fold     
xxxxxxx Raise  24000.00 42000.00 255072.96
FACETHEACE Fold     
88MickyC Call  12000.00 54000.00 173526.00
Flop

88MickyC Check     
xxxxxxx Check     
Turn

• J

88MickyC Check     
xxxxxxx Bet  27000.00 81000.00 228072.96
88MickyC Call  27000.00 108000.00 146526.00
River

• J

88MickyC Check     
xxxxxxx Bet  36000.00 144000.00 192072.96
88MickyC Call  36000.00 180000.00 110526.00
xxxxxxx Show
  • J

88MickyC Show
  • A

xxxxxxx Win Three Jacks 180000.00  372072.96

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Don't like calling OOP with raggy aces from this stack size. I'd prefer to either just jam or fold preflop... which you choose is just down to what you think of the opponent, how often are they just stealing very wide and will raise/fold the BTN etc.

As played, it's hard not to wanna call turn which makes me wanna call river too.
  • edited November 2013
    Jam or fold pre.
  • edited November 2013
    I think call is ok there with those cards, you could make nut flush or straight ... then look to take all his stack

I think you should of bet the flop you had top pair with best kicker and straight draw. .. I bet 3/4 pot ... find out if its good ... I bet no more if he calls and I dont improve...

Im by far not a great player .. I know everyone says shove or fold but if you do he could have AA KK AK QQ ... calling then gives you the opportunity of making a great hand ... you hit flush everyone will say perfectly played because of how many outs you had and implied odds lol

Well done for going so deep :)

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: what would you do in this hand?...:
    I think call is ok there with those cards, you could make nut flush or straight ... then look to take all his stack I think you should of bet the flop you had top pair with best kicker and straight draw. .. I bet 3/4 pot ... find out if its good ... I bet no more if he calls and I dont improve... Im by far not a great player .. I know everyone says shove or fold but if you do he could have AA KK AK QQ ... calling then gives you the opportunity of making a great hand ... you hit flush everyone will say perfectly played because of how many outs you had and implied odds lol Well done for going so deep :)
    Posted by EasyHoney
    This won't happen very often. More likely, we will totally brick the flop and have to check fold to any c/bet, maybe even folding the best hand in the process.

As Lambo says, the decision to jam on him will depend on his button opening frequency. Had they folded every button for the last 15 orbits, then perhaps we can credit them with a hand and pass A5s. If they are opening most/all buttons, then we should be defending our BB by shipping on them. A5s is likely to be the best hand, but probably only in a 40/60 type scenario. We shouldn't be giving them a chance to flop a piece by just calling. If you walk into AA,AK,KK,QQ etc then so be it (happened to me in a Ukops event the other night, 3bet shoved A6 from BB into buttons AA, but this is poker), but that doesn't make the play wrong. Just like calling and flopping a flush or straight doesn't make the play right.

Another important factor here is the stack sizes. We will be shipping for most of their stack, so they can't call us too light. We can get them to fold super small pairs so we avoid the race. We could even get them to fold slightly better aces as well; It would be very hard to call here with A8o for example (table image dependent of course). With the raise and the blinds, this pot is worth stealing in a not too risky manner by just GII pre.
  • edited November 2013
    pretty easy jam against a button open, calling is really bad by the way and you should have your backside tanned for it :-)
  • edited November 2013

I know how bad it is to limp in and I still don't really know why I did. Maybe if this player hadn't just joined the table and I had reads on how they play, I might have acted differently but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'll know next time in this type of situation to pick between shove or fold... partly because its the right thing to do, but mainly because I don't want that tanned backside lol

cheers for the comments people.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: what would you do in this hand?...:
    I know how bad it is to limp in and I still don't really know why I did. Maybe if this player hadn't just joined the table and I had reads on how they play, I might have acted differently but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'll know next time in this type of situation to pick between shove or fold... partly because its the right thing to do, but mainly because I don't want that tanned backside lol cheers for the comments people.
    Posted by 88MickyC
    just joking mate, by the way you didnt limp, you flatted.