You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The term "villain"

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
Curious to know if I am the only person who thinks the term villain sounds too serious/harsh? I mean, we're playing poker, a game - it's not a war! :p That's why I always say opponent rather than villain.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Without a villain, you can't have a hero.
  • edited November 2013
    Yep, I've always found it a curious term.
    Same when people decribe players as fish. Can't we find a better description?

Are you the hero Borin? :)
  • edited November 2013

I tend to describe my opponent as "Matey Boy". If there are two, Matey Boy 1 & Matey Boy 2.

There are some terms ("fish" is a great example) which don't come across as intended in writing. We'd rarely call anyoine a "fish" in Live Poker, to their face, we'd be deemed rude if we did, & we'd probably get a smack in the chops, too.

• edited November 2013
    I prefer the term "opponent". Villain makes it sound as they have dome something against the rules.
  • edited November 2013
    If anybody is really offended by being called a villain then they need to have a long hard look at themselves.
    Its as if people in the 21st century have totally forgotton the meaning of context.
    A great example of this is the monkey joke reference by Roy Hodgsen if anybody found that offensive then they obviously are not very smart and do not understand context.

• edited November 2013
    I never used to use the term "villian" going for opposition instead.

Today i use oppo and villian, not to be derogatory, really just poker speak for our opposition. Nothing ill willed/ mean/ nasty implied by the term, imo
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The term "villain":
    If anybody is really offended by being called a villain then they need to have a long hard look at themselves. Its as if people in the 21st century have totally forgotton the meaning of context. A great example of this is the monkey joke reference by Roy Hodgsen if anybody found that offensive then they obviously are not very smart and do not understand context.
    Posted by jonjo75
    So in what context does someone who you happen to be playing a hand of poker againt do something that enables you to call them a villain?

I'm not offended by it, it's just a stupid and inaccurate term that seems to have somehow got widespread use.
  • edited November 2013
    I always find it curious that people get upset about being called fish. Jac35 asks if we can find another term for weak players, but surely fish is the alternative that poker has come up with. It doesn't mean 'idiot' or 'moron' or any of the other terms that question a person's actual intelligence, it simply questions their understanding of poker.

If we started calling weaker players squirrels, are we going to start seeing that as offensive and start looking for yet another term?

If I called my mother a fish, do you think she'd be insulted? No, because a) she wouldn't know what it means and b) after I tell her that it means she's a bad poker player, she would probably acknowledge that it's a fair point, having never played the game.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to be called a fish. It happens frequently, lol. even if it's true, it's only a suggestion that I'm not very good at a game of cards, not a comment on my intelligence.

If you get upset when you're called a fish, it's actually something you need to look at in yourself. Getting upset about it means you're putting your ego into your game. You view an insult of your poker game as an insult of you. That's going to get in the way of you improving.

As for the term "villain" it really is completely different. It's not intended as any sort of slight or insult. Jonjo is right, if you can't put these things in their proper context it's an issue for you to look at in yourself.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The term "villain" : So in what context does someone who you happen to be playing a hand of poker againt do something that enables you to call them a villain? I'm not offended by it, it's just a stupid and inaccurate term that seems to have somehow got widespread use.
    Posted by FCHD

If im playing a hand, I see the pot as mine and my opponent the villain is trying to steal what is mine.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The term "villain" : So in what context does someone who you happen to be playing a hand of poker againt do something that enables you to call them a villain? I'm not offended by it, it's just a stupid and inaccurate term that seems to have somehow got widespread use.
    Posted by FCHD
    As I said earlier: you can't have a hero without a villain.

The reason "villain" is used is that it's the natural counterpart when describing the opponent of the player we're referring to as the hero. It's neither stupid nor inaccurate.

If we were to refer to the hero of a particular hand as "Superman" then naturally we'd refer to his opponent as "Lex Luthor".

If we were to refer to the hero as "dog" we'd naturally refer to his opponent as "cat".
  • edited November 2013
    If anybody is really offended by being called a villain then they need to have a long hard look at themselves. Its as if people in the 21st century have totally forgotton the meaning of context. A great example of this is the monkey joke reference by Roy Hodgsen if anybody found that offensive then they obviously are not very smart and do not understand context.
    Posted by jonjo75
    +1
  • edited November 2013
    I always find it curious that people get upset about being called fish. Jac35 asks if we can find another term for weak players, but surely fish is the alternative that poker has come up with. It doesn't mean 'idiot' or 'moron' or any of the other terms that question a person's actual intelligence, it simply questions their understanding of poker. If we started calling weaker players squirrels, are we going to start seeing that as offensive and start looking for yet another term? If I called my mother a fish, do you think she'd be insulted? No, because a) she wouldn't know what it means and b) after I tell her that it means she's a bad poker player, she would probably acknowledge that it's a fair point, having never played the game. Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to be called a fish. It happens frequently, lol. even if it's true, it's only a suggestion that I'm not very good at a game of cards, not a comment on my intelligence. If you get upset when you're called a fish, it's actually something you need to look at in yourself. Getting upset about it means you're putting your ego into your game. You view an insult of your poker game as an insult of you. That's going to get in the way of you improving. As for the term "villain" it really is completely different. It's not intended as any sort of slight or insult. Jonjo is right, if you can't put these things in their proper context it's an issue for you to look at in yourself.
    Posted by BorinLoner

Disagree with pretty much all of that.
    Why should we feel the need to come up with any terms at all to describe weaker players?
    To a most players thinking, it does actually mean "idiot" or "moron"

It's not a case of bringing egos into the game. It's just a question of manners. I don't see much need to decribe other players games in any way at all really. Just play the game, enjoy it and hopefully make a bob or two.

• edited November 2013
    To get back to the original post.
    Yeah, I suppose "villain" "opponent" whichever really doesn't matter one bit.
    Certainly not offensive in any way.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The term "villain" : Disagree with pretty much all of that. Why should we feel the need to come up with any terms at all to describe weaker players? To a most players thinking, it does actually mean "idiot" or "moron" It's not a case of bringing egos into the game. It's just a question of manners. I don't see much need to decribe other players games in any way at all really. Just play the game, enjoy it and hopefully make a bob or two.
    Posted by Jac35
    Well, those people are wrong. It doesn't mean that. "Fish" means "idiot" no more than "weak poker player" means "idiot". We just use "fish" because it's much easier to write in short-form than "weak poker player".

Now, obviously you can use the term to try to abuse someone but again it's no more of an insult than calling them a weak poker player. I'd no more try to upset someone by calling them a weak poker player than I would by calling them a bad public speaker. Some people would have no problem with trying to upset someone for either reason, and we call those people "jerks". :)

We need to describe players if we want to discuss the game. "Fish" is shorthand in the same way initialisms are.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The term "villain" : Disagree with pretty much all of that. Why should we feel the need to come up with any terms at all to describe weaker players? To a most players thinking, it does actually mean "idiot" or "moron" It's not a case of bringing egos into the game. It's just a question of manners. I don't see much need to decribe other players games in any way at all really. Just play the game, enjoy it and hopefully make a bob or two.
    Posted by Jac35
    Ha!

Not a word we see too often on a poker Forum, Paul!

Generation thing I guess, we were bought up to the maxim that manners maketh man

Think life has moved in a bit...... 
  • edited November 2013
    Agree with jac. Bl, IMO fish is just rude and insulting. I understand what you are saying that it just means a bad player. However most people use it as an insult, and wouldn't say it 2 some1s face. A far better term would be inexperienced player. Is it fair to call a new player or a gambler a fish ? I really don't think it is. We want to play against these types of players and insulting them achieves nothing. Ps I've been called a fish in the chat box twice in the last 2 weeks which is pretty fun cause I had taken all their chips. In these cases it's pretty funny cause I have won and I'm a fish lol please reload with your tilt
  • edited November 2013
    Posted by FCHD

The context is a written analyses of a poker hand to easily explain which players we are looking at and from what perspective.
    Our decision is based on what the hero (yay) would do against the villain (boo).
    For me it is perfect and quite lighthearted.

edit: I am only talking about the use of the word villain here. I agree that calling someone a fish at the table is just rude and not needed.
  • edited November 2013
    Let's be clear about this: Calling someone a fish with the intention of trying to upset them is rude and unnecessary. The only things being insulted is the player's ability to play poker, but still it is rude.

However, the reason it is rude is that it's the person's intention to try to upset someone. The term itself is not responsible, the person using it in this context is.

As for whether you'd call someone a fish to their face, I think we all have and do. I'm pretty sure that if we looked back through the 861 archives, we could find Tikay, James, Anna, and all the other presenters and analysts referring to someone as a fish - That someone would obviously be Orford.

The point is Orford doesn't get upset about it because he sees the context is as a bit of friendly banter. The insult of his poker game is not an insult of himself. If some random person said it aggressively to him at a poker table, that would be completely different. The reason it would be different is the different context; that someone is clearly trying to upset him.
  • edited November 2013
    Pretty sure you would not hear the term fish on 861. 
  • edited November 2013
    Pretty sure you would not hear the term fish on 861. 
    Posted by LARSON7
    You are not wrong, I'd be shown the door if I did. Because it is deemed to be rude, & being rude to Clients is unacceptable. Any 861 representative who ever said such a thing would be in a world of hurt, pdq.

Think the point being missed is the difference between the spoken & written, word. It does not overly trouble me Online, though obviously I dislike it, but it is almost never said "face to face" in the real world. And with good reason, they would not dare, because it may well provoke a very unpleasant reaction.

The difference between spoken & written, real world & Online, is an extraordinarily interesting thing for students of psychology.

Interesting debate.  

• edited November 2013
    I would guess that the terms hero,villain, fish and donk etc. were defined quite a few years ago before the days of political correctness. As far as I know no one has yet tried to get these terms banned in the present climate so I  think it's fair to assume that most poker players find them acceptable if used in their correct context. I can see nothing wrong with the term hero or villain but to call or be called a fish or a donk in the chatbox is rude though but to be honest I've had far worse things said to me and in this day and age there are far greater things to be bothered about.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The term "villain" : You are not wrong, I'd be shown the door if I did. Because it is deemed to be rude, & being rude to Clients is unacceptable. Any 861 representative who ever said such a thing would be in a world of hurt, pdq. Think the point being missed is the difference between the spoken & written, word. It does not overly trouble me Online, though obviously I dislike it, but it is almost never said "face to face" in the real world. And with good reason, they would not dare, because it may well provoke a very unpleasant reaction.   The difference between spoken & written, real world & Online, is an extraordinarily interesting thing for students of psychology.   Interesting debate.    
    Posted by tikay1
    Having watched 861 for some time i can imagine how hard it must be to sugar coat things on some occassions. Can just imagine many of the experts of camera sitting there commentating on a hand thinking in their head thinking far worse things than they actually say. 

As for the term villian. I've used it in live poker when discussing a hand afterwards with someone on the rail. Vllian is easier than pointing and saying "that guy there". 

I think in terms of hand discussion the use of Villian is ideal. I just think the context in which others understand it is misunderstood. 

Take it like a movie, we have our hero, the good guy. In that case its the person playing the hand. So us. Every hero has to have a villian right? The villian might have the best of intentions, but hes our little villian at present. 
  • edited November 2013
    Some words in poker need changing IMO but dont think villain is one of them.

Can we all just not have our skin a tad thicker. Villain doesnt even sound bad, kinda cool if anything.
  • edited November 2013

All i will say on this is that after many years treading the boards that the villain is so much more fun to be than the hero.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: The term "villain" : Having watched 861 for some time i can imagine how hard it must be to sugar coat things on some occassions. Can just imagine many of the experts of camera sitting there commentating on a hand thinking in their head thinking far worse things than they actually say.  As for the term villian. I've used it in live poker when discussing a hand afterwards with someone on the rail. Vllian is easier than pointing and saying "that guy there".  I think in terms of hand discussion the use of Villian is ideal. I just think the context in which others understand it is misunderstood.  Take it like a movie, we have our hero, the good guy. In that case its the person playing the hand. So us. Every hero has to have a villian right? The villian might have the best of intentions, but hes our little villian at present. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yes, "villain" is absolutely fine, & we'd use it on 861, though I tend to use "Matey Boy" or "2-3 man" or whatever because I prefer to try & be more creative & a little different/better if possible, rather than just be fashionable.

"fish", "donk" & the like, of course, never.

• edited November 2013
    I prefer the term "opponent". Villain makes it sound as they have dome something against the rules.
    Posted by FCHD
    Agreed!

If anybody is really offended by being called a villain then they need to have a long hard look at themselves.
    To get back to the original post. Yeah, I suppose "villain" "opponent" whichever really doesn't matter one bit. Certainly not offensive in any way.
    Posted by Jac35
    As the original poster I feel like I need to clarify that I wasn't stating the term is offensive or derogatory in any way. The depends on the context of the statement and the sensitivity of the player being called the villain. My point was purely that it sounds quite a harsh term for what at the end of the day is just a game. I guess I'm curious where this term came from - what was wrong with the word opponent and why did someone suddenly decide to call them a villain? Villain is definitely a more powerful and emotive word than opponent.
  • edited November 2013
    As most instances where villain is mentioned, result in the opponent rivering a miracle card,
    Perhaps you could change villain to:- mind reader/Superior player/YoYo lol