You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"How do you "GET" Discipline?

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat

Bankroll management is what all the pros rave about,Basically without it you don't stand much of a chance.

So how do people manage?

I play when I feel like a game,Not as a money making plan,That comes as a bonus should I win any,I just simply enjoy a game of poker every now and then.

So I 100% do not have bankroll management,I deposit £50-£100 and play what games are on offer for the amount I deposit on that evening.

I cant play games below £10 with any seriousness,I do play them as poker should be played,But alot looser than if it was a £20 + game,If that makes sense.

Anyway,How do I get this im not bothered attitude out of my mind? How do I adopt bankroll management?

Im sure alot of other players are similar to me,Are we a lost cause?

I use betfair daily,I have perfect bankroll management on there as a Layer and have done for the past 5 years,I would like it to be the case in poker,I think the only way I can do this is deposit a large amount and stick to games of £20 and above,Knowing they get my full attention.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has made the transition from recreational player to being a more serious player respecting their bankroll,Any feedback much appreciated.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Bankroll Management is only needed if you play regularly/play full time or can't afford to re-deposit on the site.

If the £50 - £100 you're depositing doesn't affect your personal life then there is no harm in putting all that on in 1 or 2 nights. Think of it as a budget not a bankroll, if you lose it, meh doesn't matter you had some fun and it doesn't affect you. If you win then great!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to "How do you "GET" Discipline?:
    I would be interested to hear if anyone has made the transition from recreational player to being a more serious player respecting their bankroll,Any feedback much appreciated.
    Posted by Peter_Kay
    I have done just that on my poker diary here.

I used to attempt to make money with poker, but never had the self-control to limit how much money I enter a tournament for - sometimes I would use my whole bankroll on one tournament and then have to re-deposit! The diary helped because I knew other members of the community would be judging my play, it enabled me to be disiplined.

Your situation is interesting. Given that you use BRM for betting, it's clear you know how to do it. I would suggest setting yourself some sort of challenge like turning £100 into £1000 without entering a tournaments that cost more than £5.50. Just basing those figures on the deposit habit you mentioned, obviously tweak the figures as required.
  • edited November 2013
    In honesty a standard Bank roll management for me on £50-£100 

It would depend on what you play really but  get the picture your talking about mtts. 

For me on this roll i wouldn't go above a fiver. I know you say you struggle to focus on games below 10, but really the 5quid and 10 games play very similar. 
  • edited November 2013
    How about setting yourself goals? Deposit £100 and then aim not to redeposit and set a target of say £1000. 
  • edited November 2013
    If you're not disciplined you'll become a deposting player, depositing players are needed on all sites but you don't want to be one.

For example GaryQQQ turning 1000 points into £1000, where does that £1000 come from? A nice donation from Skypoker? NO! It comes from deposting players who fund the winning players. Think of it like this, do you want to fund winning players with your hard earned (or benefit given) money? If not then don't be a deposting player, use very strict BR management to play tight.