You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

;

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
call flop

shoving is prob the worst

Comments

• edited November 2013

• edited November 2013
    You will never get him to fold aces or kings on that board, mate.
  • edited November 2013
    Tight players love folding.

If i'm called i'm still not far behind. And if i imrpove eg a queen comes, im never getting paid off.

It's a scarey board.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: I quite like shoving here, was trying to make oppo fold Aces or Kings:
    Tight players love folding. If i'm called i'm still not far behind. And if i imrpove eg a queen comes, im never getting paid off. It's a scarey board.
    Posted by LARSON7
    ya they love folding when they have nothing..

they ain't ever folding AA or KK or QQ here, and really with that sizing you don't rep very strong.. since most likely its just a flat with a set
  • edited November 2013
    Everyone think this is a call?

To keep in their "bluffs"?

But we know it's not a bluff.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: I quite like shoving here, was trying to make oppo fold Aces or Kings:
    Everyone think this is a call? To keep in their "bluffs"? But we know it's not a bluff.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Well, on this flop the best hand we beat is AT. Do we think he 3-bets AT pre-flop?

If not, then every hand in a nitty villain's 3-betting range either beats us and calls our raise on this flop, or it's an AK or AQ that's missed and just folds. So we get called when we're behind and get folds when we're ahead.

Against AA and KK, we have ten outs. Against QQ, we have six outs. We have a decent chance of winning the hand but we're still an underdog. We're just putting more money into the pot in a bad situation at this point.

Whether we should call the flop is another question. If we don't think villain is bluffing - i.e. he doesn't c-bet AK here - then we are looking to call to hit our draw. However, as you say, it's unlikely that we get paid any more if we do hit that draw... and there may be some reverse implied odds to consider for our two Jack outs.

If we're sure that we can't get any more when we hit our straight, then we should fold. We're getting 28% pot odds with eight outs to a turn. The only implied odds we have are the reverse implied odds on the JJ. The eight straightening outs leave us with 17% (less against QQ) or so chance of hitting on the turn, so it's a fold.

That's all assuming that we can't get paid when our draw hits. How much do we trust that read?

The alternative to folding is to flat, if we think we can get more on later streets or if we believe our JJ might be best some of the time.
  • edited November 2013
    N colley that is true, it's most likely not a set. I was just gambling if called. I serioussly thought opponent would fold their big pair.

While it's hard for opponent not to put me on a set, or a straight. My line doesn't make sense to him, i thought he'd think he was beat.

If i was called i wasn't that far behind.

Maybe a better line would have been to put in a raise, and shove the turn, then it's really difficult for him 2 call.But then i lose equity and am just turning my hand into a total bluff on the turn.
  • edited November 2013
    BL I think you made a small mistake.
    if JJ was against QQ then he would actually have 6 outs because 2 queens have already been taken and the J would give the Q a straight.
  • edited November 2013

with the hand itself one thing I think should be thought about before doing the jam is what sort of hand strength will he be thinking you have when you doing a raise UTG.
    had it been when you were on the button suited connectors will be in your range most days. but open bets UTG which when raised is then called shows the signs of a strong hand. think of how you would play sets because most times that's the only hand that you could be holding that scares him QJs maybe but then again the hero could himself be holding QQ so would rule that out.

• edited November 2013
    I agree with ev eryone, shoving is pretty bad!

Some one done it to me tonoight
    ZOED Small blind   600.00 600.00 20863.75
    Moon_River Big blind   1200.00 1800.00 26035.00
      Your hole cards

jawzindawz Fold        
    pomfrittes Fold        
    LARSON7 Raise   2400.00 4200.00 22435.00
    archer0970 Fold        
    ZOED Fold        
    Moon_River Call   1200.00 5400.00 24835.00
    Flop

Moon_River Check        
    LARSON7 Bet   2700.00 8100.00 19735.00
    Moon_River All-in   24835.00 32935.00 0.00
    LARSON7 All-in   19735.00 52670.00 0.00
    Moon_River Unmatched bet   2400.00 50270.00 2400.00
    Moon_River Show
    • A

LARSON7 Show

Turn

• A

River

• A

Moon_River Win Three Aces 50270.00   526
  • edited November 2013
    BL I think you made a small mistake. if JJ was against QQ then he would actually have 6 outs because 2 queens have already been taken and the J would give the Q a straight.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Quite right. I've edited my first post. Ta.