You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you play against big stack bullies...

...when you're being dealt garbage?

We've all had it - a big stack keeps raising big on you, you've got nothing so wait for a hand..but it doesn't come. You want to just shove with any 2, but the big stack keeps raising it up in front of you and every time you look down you see 73o.

How do you deal with this?

BB

Comments

• edited December 2009
    i think it depends on wether or not you feel you have any fold equity, say if they keep making a 5x raise then you are going to need at least 20 BB to avoid giving him the odds to call with any two.. especially if you have been folding to previous raises, when you eventually play back he is going to have to put you on a big hand. So short of waiting for a good hand you have to wait for a good spot.

and dont forget about the rest of the table, theres nothing worse than shoving back at the aggro player only for the table nit to pop up with queens behind you.
  • edited December 2009

Be patient, be decisive when you do make your move. Eventually you are going to have to take your shot. Make sure you don't leave it too late, ideally you need enough for a heave-ho re-raise all-in. It does not really matter what your cards are.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you play against big stack bullies...:
    It does not really matter what your cards are.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I see your point, but ideally you should have a shipping range for every position. ie, aggro biggish stack opens the CO, you're in the SB with 15BB's, your shipping range can be VERY wide, but if he opens from UTG+1, and you're in MP (talking 9max here) with the same stack, obv you're range tightens.
  • edited December 2009

I've been in this situation quite a lot recently on DYM's, the way I play I often run the risk of getting short. When the bigstack does keep doin this it really depends how many Big blinds you have, 5-10 plenty of time, <5 then pretty much any 2 but try to get small connectors as this is likely not to be in his range.

The worst situation I had recently was a game where it was 4 left, 3 Double up, and still the monster stack just pushed every hand, making me get extremely low. I know he can play how he wants but surely it's only right to blind the away player out first.

• edited December 2009

Pick your spot, no point shoving with an average hand when its a 6 or 5 way pot..... id rather get 1/2 way and any 2..... at some point you gotta fight back and when you do and hit keep up the momentum against bully ... he/she will soon go back in there shell and hopefully the roles will be reversed! ;-)