You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM call/fold

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
XSmall blind 200.00200.001300.00
F_IvanovicBig blind 400.00600.005270.00
 Your hole cards
  • J

NordenSoulFold    
JohnnyhFold    
XAll-in 1300.001900.000.00
F_IvanovicCall 1100.003000.004170.00
XShow

F_IvanovicShow
  • J

Flop

Turn

River

• J

F_IvanovicWinTwo Pairs, Jacks and 7s3000.00 7170.00
Annoyingly can't see the other stack sizes on HH but they must have had 4830 between them and pretty sure they were both similar so around 2400 each. So I'm a clear chip leader and don't really need to take a gamble. I knew villain would have a wide shoving range tho and getting such good odds am I obliged to call here?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    I fold

Good odds aren't really a consideration in Dyms.
    With the blinds this high, it's quite likely that the other players will go to war before it even comes round to your blinds next time.
    Lose and we're back in the pack. Fold and we're still in a really comfortable position.
  • edited November 2013
    Fold for me too.

Cardinal sin in a DYM is to double up the short stack

At some point if they are shoving every hand you may need to take a stand but I'm not doing it there especially with J high no matter how connected it is.

Pot odds don't matter when coming 3rd with 1 chip is the same reward as coming 1st with all the chips on the table.

It's all about surviving to the cash.

Fold and leave shorty on 4 BB against x2 6BB players.

If you want to have a bit of play with the bigstack minraise the middle stacks and watch their stacks dwindle.
  • edited November 2013
    I know they're of less importance but still should matter somewhat? I mean I need 36% equity vs his range which I should easily have with JTs. He's probably shoving somewhere around 40% of his hands and I have 45% vs that. So 45% of the time we'll win right then. The other 55% I'll be down to 4170 which is still plenty enough to cash. A couple orbits could go round where one player shoves, rest fold and I could be down to that amount anyway and a few more orbits and I'm back in the pack.

FWIW I timed all the way down before calling cause I did think it was really close. Thing is in DYM's when it gets to the bubble is that even though it seems one player should go out soon it can often last a while with nobody wanting to call an all in shove. So when you get a chance to knock someone out for not many chips to risk for you, it must be worth a gamble some of the time? 

You obviously know DYM's better than me though so maybe you are right!! ICM calculator might be useful here but I'm too lazy to google one right now! At what point do you think it becomes a call? 800 chips more? 600?
  • edited November 2013
    Basically by calling, even though its +cEV, you're giving all the other players a freeroll while you're in a commanding position.
  • edited November 2013
    I suspect ICM will say its +EV given the committed blind but that's not the point more about specific dym strategy.

Teddy recommended ICMIZER on another thread - you get some free use each day - haven't had the chance to try it yet.

You are not just chip lead there ia a shorty and you are /> x2 the other players - the chances of you blinding down to their levels are pretty slim by folding here. Call and double up shorty though (which will happen >55% of the time) and other 3 suddenly have less of a need to go to war as they are on similar stacks. Could be in for an unnecessarily lengthy sweat.

Without a shorty at the table you cant even rely on topping your stack up by min raising the middle stacks either.

If there is a shorty there keep them there - fair enough if you have a big enough hand to be a good favourite - or if their stack is so small they are still shorty and you are not damaged much if they win. Or fair enough if there are 2 shorties.

It's not so much about how many more chips you would need I would say its about how many fewer shorty would need (400-500) to make it an easy call.