You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Brainteaser

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
Is anyone giving this a go?

Took me about 10 minutes to get to the answer.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    For some reason the previous post didnt work... so lets see if this does.

Here is a brain teaser to go alongside the poker trivia quiz I posted earlier on.  Not much to do with poker (i've edited it somewhat to make it more relevant).

There are five houses in a row in different colors. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a different drink, smoke a different brand of cigar and hold a different suit of card.  One guy has the joker instead.

The question is-- who owns the joker?

Hints:
    1. The Brit lives in the red house.
    2. The Swede holds the spades.
    3. The Dane drinks tea.
    4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
    5. The green house owner drinks coffee.
    6. The person who smokes Pall Malls holds the hearts.
    7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
    8. The man living in the house right in the center drinks milk.
    9. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps the clubs.
    10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    11. The man who keeps the diamonds lives next to the one who smokes Dunhills.
    12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
    13. The German smokes Princes.
    14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

There are no tricks, pure logic will get you the correct answer. And yes, there is enough information to arrive at the one and only correct answer.

Good luck :)

*SPOILER ALERTS BELOW*
  • edited November 2013
    I love these logic puzzles.  Will defo give it a go when I wake up (wake up occurs half way during cup of tea number three, currently on number two.  It's a Monday, takes some time).
  • edited November 2013
    I think I've worked it out but did'nt want to post the answer? 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Brainteaser:
    I love these logic puzzles.  Will defo give it a go when I wake up (wake up occurs half way during cup of tea number three, currently on number two.  It's a Monday, takes some time).
    Posted by TommyD
    Sabbaticals are just hell Tommy!  ;-)
  • edited November 2013
    sorre to spoil this but the answer is the german and the below link is how I know

If this is something you actually understand then I wouldn't mind a plain english way of working it out

I did try for 30 mins before I used google.

• edited November 2013
    sorre to spoil this but the answer is the german and the below link is how I know If this is something you actually understand then I wouldn't mind a plain english way of working it out I did try for 30 mins before I used google. http://www.stanford.edu/~laurik/fsmbook/examples/Einstein'sPuzzle.html
    Posted by mrpoker919

Googled it?  Meh.  Well at least you admit it.  I've posted a spoiler alert up top so hopefully you havent spoiled the teaser for anyone.
  • edited November 2013
    Interested to know if anyone got this without looking it up.

Extra kudos for getting all of the nationalities in the right houses, with the right drinks, the right cigars and the rights suits.

Although I imagine if you got the answer you've gotten all of those anyway.  The way I did it I made sure I had every field filled in.
  • edited November 2013
    Got it (I think) although was just by trial and error! used excel and just put the statements together that were right then moved them around until they all fit.

Took me about 30mins though lol if my boss only knew what I do during my day......

Good work gaz!
    edit: checked my answer vs link above - I was right
  • edited November 2013

Just under 10 minutes to attain maximum kudos. The route I took meant the "joker" was the last thing to be placed.

@mrpoker, draw yourself a grid with house # across the top (numbers not critical but obv house position is important), and category down the side.

You'll find there are 3 boxes you can fill in immediately based on house position and a bit of deduction, and from there it's all about logical progression, this thing must go there to satisfy that condition, or that can't go there because then that Danish chap won't get his cuppa.

Hope that explanation doesn't spoil it fir anyone else, tried to remain partially vague.

Solved one of these on a graduate recruitment day many moons ago, the 'judges' were looking at your logical processes as well as how you could shout over/convince the other 5 less helpful team members. Good fun, cheers Gazza.

• edited November 2013
    Got it (I think) although was just by trial and error! used excel and just put the statements together that were right then moved them around until they all fit. Took me about 30mins though lol if my boss only knew what I do during my day...... Good work gaz! edit: checked my answer vs link above - I was right ☺
    Posted by jdsallstar

I know how you feel.  I spent 10-15 minutes doodling houses and cups of tea at work to get the answer.  Shhh dont tell anyone.

Nice work on getting the right answer. :)
  • edited November 2013
    Just under 10 minutes to attain maximum kudos. The route I took meant the "joker" was the last thing to be placed. @mrpoker, draw yourself a grid with house # across the top (numbers not critical but obv house position is important), and category down the side. You'll find there are 3 boxes you can fill in immediately based on house position and a bit of deduction, and from there it's all about logical progression, this thing must go there to satisfy that condition, or that can't go there because then that Danish chap won't get his cuppa. Hope that explanation doesn't spoil it fir anyone else, tried to remain partially vague. Solved one of these on a graduate recruitment day many moons ago, the 'judges' were looking at your logical processes as well as how you could shout over/convince the other 5 less helpful team members. Good fun, cheers Gazza.
    Posted by bbMike

Sounds a bit more sophisticated than the way I did it.  Nice work!

Ahhh graduate recruitment days.  Theres always one who wants to do it a different (WRONG) way and spoils your chances of getting noticed.

Not bitter at all.