You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

'Just call' river?

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
*Small blind 250.00250.0046575.00
NooGoooodBig blind 500.00750.0013737.50
 Your hole cards

rats107Fold    
gazzaluf05Raise 1000.001750.0015100.00
hhyftrftdrCall 1000.002750.0018655.00
kcxyzFold    
*Call 750.003500.0045825.00
NooGoooodFold    
Flop

• K

*Check    
gazzaluf05Check    
hhyftrftdrBet 2100.005600.0016555.00
*Call 2100.007700.0043725.00
gazzaluf05Fold    
Turn

*Check    
hhyftrftdrBet 3900.0011600.0012655.00
*Call 3900.0015500.0039825.00
River

• A

*Bet 4000.0019500.0035825.00
Ok. Main event tonight. Not been on the table too long. Villain seemed quite eratic and possibly inexperienced (didn't recognise his name). 'Doesn't seem to like folding an A pre' kinda guy. Only really tangled with him once to showdown (he paid me off with A3 on an A7794 or something board when I had A9). 

Dilemma is the river, but feel free to go to town on any street of the hand! Stems around that 'weak' river lead. Should I just call bearing in mind I'm pretty strong but far from nutted, or is this a good spot to jam for value? There are numerous 2 pair and straight hands that might pay me off, but is it worth risking my tournament life? And do I only ever get called by better?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    readless, 4th nuts, i shove them in and dont even consider other options. if we bust we bust, but really i think we miss vale from QJ/two pairs/sets the times we dont. even with your inexperianced read he might call with AsXx
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 'Just call' river?:
    readless, 4th nuts, i shove them in and dont even consider other options. if we bust we bust, but really i think we miss vale from QJ/two pairs/sets the times we dont. even with your inexperianced read he might call with AsXx
    Posted by The_Don90
    +1

if he has a better flush good luck to him
    it's like having KQ on a Kxy flop - get it in (oops he had AA - that was the hand that crippled my main attempt tonight)
  • edited November 2013
    All my chips go into the middle.

If its a higher flush... its a weirdly played higher flush.

Definitely not flatting river.
  • edited November 2013
    Yup, definitely doing a ship
  • edited November 2013

Surely he would raise the turn if he had a flush given your reads, easy ship !!

• edited November 2013
     Hi HH, I read a lot in the clinic to try & improve but don't reply much as there is always more experienced players replying HOWEVER, to me  the "weak" bet on river smacks to me that this player is worried you will check the river and is inducing a shove/tempting you?  Def an As imo.    Hard not to shove tho!
  • edited November 2013
    Ship river.  Will get called by 2 pairs and weaker flushes far often than he ever shows up with Q or J flush.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to 'Just call' river?:
    *  Dilemma is the river

There are numerous 2 pair and straight hands that might pay me off, but is it worth risking my tournament life? And do I only ever get called by better?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    i take it harry is out of town and you are filling in for him (would explain why he was late in replying to a "it's rigged" post as well)
    i'm sure harry knows this is a shove
    or maybe he has had a few knocks recently and is questioning some fundamentals

ps not a rubz, but on reflection it's not a question i'd have thought harry would ask. that being said some of my posts must seem naive (at best) at times but i still would rather ask them if confused. #justchecking
  • edited November 2013
    Geldy, one look at SS will show you my MTT game has gone down the toilet. Or that my 'fish on a heater' period is well and truly over. So yeah, whereas I might have overlooked this a few months ago, at the moment I'm dubious if I'm making the correct plays. Questioning some fundamentals, as you put it!

Of course I shoved! I didn't even consider flatting. I looked at the board, villains stack and decided I'd be leaving value behind if I just called. He rolled over A4s for the nuts and it was goodnight Vienna for me.

It wasn't until I went through the hand (after exiting mini a short while later) that I actually thought that perhaps I was too hasty to ship it; the pot was already quite sizeable, I was very strong but not nutted, and had I been behind and called then I'd still have an 8k+ stack at 250/500 to splash about with. 

Having said all that, I still think I'd play it exactly the same as I'm a clown, so its refreshing to see that others also go broke here.

Maybe we're all bad players ;)
  • edited November 2013
    I played a not too dis-similar hand a while back where I decided to just flat on the end and was thankfully(?) shown a higher flush. However in my hand (iirc) my flush wasn't quite as good - may have been 5 high or so and so no worse flushes were possible. Also I didn't have any read on my opponent that would indicate he was loose and would pay me off with worse.

Here there is so much worse that can call and even more so given your read that it would be criminal to leave all that value on the table.

Oh yeah in regards to your downswing, maybe you need to limp more often with 13BB's OTB ;)