You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Extra curricular activities

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
Saw the title and thought it was going to be more interesting than Poker ! :-)

Comments

• edited November 2013

Just read thedon talking about reviewing hands after his sessions and I'm interested to hear what other people do after their sessions in terms of learning, improving or reviewing their play.

So things like:
    How many hands do you review?
    Which hands do you review?
    How many hands?
    Do you take notes?
    How long do you spend on it?
    Is there anything else you do?

Poll just to make it more interesting

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Extra curricular activities:
    Saw the title and thought it was going to be more interesting than Poker ! :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    lol have to lure people in somehow
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Extra curricular activities:
    Just read thedon talking about reviewing hands after his sessions and I'm interested to hear what other people do after their sessions in terms of learning, improving or reviewing their play. So things like: How many hands do you review? Which hands do you review? How many hands? Do you take notes? How long do you spend on it? Is there anything else you do? Poll just to make it more interesting
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I record a lot of sessions then watch back, often screaming for a call or fold that doesnt come. Surprising what you miss in game.

Ill also look at certain spots to see if a shove was +ev etc. Try to read through hh's too after a difficult game.
  • edited November 2013
    I tend to put my head in my hands and cry a lot
  • edited November 2013
    I tend to put my head in my hands and cry a lot
    Posted by Jac35
    you really are in a dark place lol!!

Come and take money off me at the £5 DYM's that might cheer you up!  
  • edited November 2013
    I voted nil poi.

Losing session : The last thing I want to see is loads of outdraws & bad beats (would do my head in lol) - Turn off computer sharpish & there quickly forgotten..

Winning session : Can tell if im winning on the night or not, so always have my balance hidden - when I click 'show balance' im to busy dancing round the room, to do hand reviews lol
  • edited November 2013
    I review hands after the hand has been played, sometimes it takes me a while to act in next hand, but at least i know there and then, what i did right/wrong.

Gl all at the tables
  • edited November 2013
    An in depth review is 30+ mins?

Come to me when you get past four hours, sonny Jim.
  • edited November 2013
    took me an hour to review one hand the other night! 30mins + is a minimum for proper analysis. I dont normally have time after my sessions though (i'm normally overdue some sleep). I try to pick 1 or 2 hands still though.

if I'm on a downswing... like now... I like to go through all the big pots I played in a recent session and look for mistakes. should probably do it when not in a downswing too.

• edited November 2013
    An in depth review is 30+ mins? Come to me when you get past four hours, sonny Jim.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    lol 4 hours! there literally isn't enough hours in the day!

ps 4hours = 30mins+
  • edited November 2013
    teddy what software do you use to record games?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Extra curricular activities : I record a lot of sessions then watch back, often screaming for a call or fold that doesnt come. Surprising what you miss in game. Ill also look at certain spots to see if a shove was +ev etc. Try to read through hh's too after a difficult game.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

hmm, didnt think of recording a session and just watching it back again...would like to know what you use for sky too!
  • edited November 2013
    For me a decent session of reviewing as BL says is easily 4 hours. As i said in my diary though im lucky to have the time to do that. Even then id like to cover more but its just not possible. 

However this only happens about once per week 
  • edited November 2013
    Im away from my laptop but it is a free and basic recorder that allows you to record either your whole screen or just a particular window. More Importantly for mtt players you can view back on 2x,  4x speed etc.

Ill post it up later.

• edited November 2013
    Can't see the point really, every hand plays different, if you say next time im in that position i'm going to do xyz.
    Your opo will not play it the same as they will have different cards. Now getting reads on players at your table in a session is a different thing. But even then if they are like me they will change there game as they go along, stack size also makes a difference.....JMO..
  • edited November 2013
    Can't see the point really, every hand plays different, if you say next time im in that position i'm going to do xyz. Your opo will not play it the same as they will have different cards. Now getting reads on players at your table in a session is a different thing. But even then if they are like me they will change there game as they go along, stack size also makes a difference.....JMO..
    Posted by tomo_efc
    not entirely true... if you know the correct move in a prticular spot, you can apply that knowledge to different but similar spots

this kind of in depth anaysis is exaclty why "internet kids" took over the poker world - they started to crush live games too and resulted in even big stars like Daniel Negreanu admitting that he was no longer competitive and recieving coaching from some of them!
  • edited November 2013
    But you can put an opponent on a range.

For example if we estimate that an opponent has a min raising range of 30% but will call only with 66+, AT+, KJs+QJs if we jam. Then we can work out if jamming is better than folding when wr have J5s at 19bbs.

There will be lots of actions you take where you can work through wether you made a good decision against a player's range and tendencies. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Extra curricular activities : not entirely true... if you know the correct move in a prticular spot, you can apply that knowledge to different but similar spots this kind of in depth anaysis is exaclty why "internet kids" took over the poker world - they started to crush live games too and resulted in even big stars like Daniel Negreanu admitting that he was no longer competitive and recieving coaching from some of them!
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Times change and the internet changed poker, every day you hear players saying "i've been away from poker for a while
    it's so much harder now".So in 5/10 years these "internet kids" will be gettin beat by the new, whatever the new will be.
    For me "being old school" i will just play cards...
  • edited November 2013
    I wnt go anywere near my HH after a bad session, I know what I am doing is wrong at the time but I still do it because Im tilting so I dont feel the need to check my mistakes because they are in my head and I cant get them out !!!!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Extra curricular activities : hmm, didnt think of recording a session and just watching it back again...would like to know what you use for sky too!
    Posted by chicknMelt

hi the recorder is called 
    BBFlashBack Express

i got the link to it from a smitalos post on here a while back.

it's free but you need to register after 30 days, registration is free also.

note you cant export to youtube as it records in some weird format. you have to convert if you want to upload it there.
  • edited November 2013
    None -

After each meaningful pot I do a quick review in my head of what I could of done better if anything, and looked at how they played the hand from their point of view. That way any 'history' with that player is fresh in my mind and I can remember why I did certain things.

After a session though I do zero reviewing. I have more important things to do, like sleeping.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Extra curricular activities : not entirely true... if you know the correct move in a prticular spot, you can apply that knowledge to different but similar spots this kind of in depth anaysis is exaclty why "internet kids" took over the poker world - they started to crush live games too and resulted in even big stars like Daniel Negreanu admitting that he was no longer competitive and recieving coaching from some of them!
    Posted by chicknMelt
    This is only relevant on nosebleed stakes IMO. I strongly believe for a site like Sky and the standard £11 bounty hunter, playing is the best form of learning. It doesn't matter how many hours you study, how many triple range oobery dooberies you do when Mr gamble is just randomly betting with no thought just to have some fun.

Studying is to get that edge, when you're at a level that 'an edge' can mean the difference between winning and losing thousands of pounds. On here ABC will make you a decent profit. 

By no means do I think I'm one of the best players on here, but I put hardly any studying in, I have learnt pretty much all my knowledge from simply playing over the last 6 or 7 years and I've made a few quid that way.

Saying that though, everyone learns differently, I suppose that's the key. What works for one may not work for another.
  • edited November 2013
    I just use the search engine in hand history and review hands in which I won more than 10xbb and lost 10xbb or more. Most are pretty standard but there are always one or two where you could have done better.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Extra curricular activities : This is only relevant on nosebleed stakes IMO. I strongly believe for a site like Sky and the standard £11 bounty hunter, playing is the best form of learning. It doesn't matter how many hours you study, how many triple range oobery dooberies you do when Mr gamble is just randomly betting with no thought just to have some fun. Studying is to get that edge, when you're at a level that 'an edge' can mean the difference between winning and losing thousands of pounds. On here ABC will make you a decent profit.  By no means do I think I'm one of the best players on here, but I put hardly any studying in, I have learnt pretty much all my knowledge from simply playing over the last 6 or 7 years and I've made a few quid that way. Saying that though, everyone learns differently, I suppose that's the key. What works for one may not work for another.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    its not all about complex lines etc - you can do analysis vs mr gamble too - for example, if villain is calling with 80%, what is a profitable shoving range. 

yep, people learn in different ways. some learn better just by playing... I dont think Viktor Blom does any analysis, he just plays the best and picks up stuff that way. expensive way of learning imo lol.
  • edited November 2013
    i wouldn't ignore the effect of small mistakes that you get to make over and over. ed millar wrote a great article on it.

you might agonise whether you should c/raise or c/call with AA on a montone, straightening board v a reckless opponent - maybe that was the biggest pot you won / lost all week.  but it's a situation that you will face only once a month maybe.

opening JTo from early position or defending your blind by calling with 89o might only cost you a few BB's each time you do it, but you get to do it hundred of times a month. if you only look at your big pots you might miss these loose peels you make dozens of times a session, bleeding chips without realising.

it's definately worth considering.