You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Blank cards?

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
 Having watched the comings and goings on the omaha tables over the last few days i have constantly seen one thing and that is people hanging on to holdem thinking and not realising what constitutes a blank card on the river.

I will give you a couple of examples.These are as close as i can remember exact hands that i have seen.

Hand 1)   Flop  2c 7c 9c    Turn 6d   River Ac

Wheni watched this hand i saw betting on the flop and the turn and it slowed down on the river. It struck me as strange because that is as blank a river card as you can get. It has not completed any draws because you can not 4 flush in omaha.

Hand 2)  Flop 4 5 5   Turn 5   River K

This hand was won by someone holding 99 but they totally failed to realise that the rivered K was a blank card. This hand was always going to be won by a 5 or pp, the K would only come into play if someone had KK in their hand and if they did they were probably winning beforehand.

These are just 2 examples of the holdem to omaha crossover problem. People are forgetting the MUST play 2 cards from hand rule and seeing dangers on boards that do not exist. Board reading skills are different in omaha and need to be worked upon

At the moment there is a lot of dead money floating around on the omaha cash tables as people learn the ropes. Learn quickly guys before the sharks bite into your rolls.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    excellent thread once again,

i am learning so much from you,

ty talon
  • edited December 2009
    totally agree with what you have pointed out,but please dont warn these people mate i want their money lol dav
  • edited December 2009

Me too he shud charge for omaha lessons. I still dnt see why its not permitted for me to dump chips off at a heads up cash table - Providing the same 2 players never go and sit at the same table afterwards. Rekon he deserves sum of my lucky winnings from the other night. lol

Dun it on other sites for mi mates but aint guna risk it here as its so frowned upon, for sum reason! - Shud be allowed tho - NUDGE

DOHH
  • FBSFBS
    edited December 2009
    Thanks once more to TALON for more Omaha tips, they are much appreciated ...

But just a thought ...

Case 1/ above,.... Is the Ac such a blank card really ?

Might I suggest that it is actually not quite as blank as it first appears ....

True any one holding any 2 clubs already had a flush

BUT...

The Ac on the river now tells the player holding K, * c they now have the Nut flush, this still does not explain why the betting slowed down though , if anything I would have thought it would speed up as it would be 1 less flush to worry about ... but I am still learning....

keep the tips coming...
  • edited December 2009

In Response to Re: Blank cards?:

Me too he shud charge for omaha lessons. I still dnt see why its not permitted for me to dump chips off at a heads up cash table - Providing the same 2 players never go and sit at the same table afterwards. Rekon he deserves sum of my lucky winnings from the other night. lol Dun it on other sites for mi mates but aint guna risk it here as its so frowned upon, for sum reason! - Shud be allowed tho - NUDGE DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    funny you mention this dohhh,

when i did this about 2 years ago,

i passed funds in to my wife's account through this hu process,

didn't know i was doing wrong ,

i got suspended for a short period ,

but now i am aware they have to have this policy in place ,

because of fraudsters,

transferring money,

you know skypoker has to be extra clean ,

because of the sky house of cards company.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Blank cards?:
    Thanks once more to TALON for more Omaha tips, they are much appreciated ... But just a thought ... Case 1/ above,.... Is the Ac such a blank card really ? Might I suggest that it is actually not quite as blank as it first appears .... True any one holding any 2 clubs already had a flush BUT... The Ac on the river now tells the player holding K, * c they now have the Nut flush, this still does not explain why the betting slowed down though , if anything I would have thought it would speed up as it would be 1 less flush to worry about ... but I am still learning.... keep the tips coming...
    Posted by FBS
      If you have nailed the flush on the flop then by playing down the 2 streets with it you have already decided to go all the way and the ace makes your hand a little bit stronger.Whereas if you dont have the flush then you know that has not helped anyone make the flush.This was more down to a case of holdem thinking prevailing over omaha knowledge. In the 2 examples given the river was a very scary holdem card and a blank omaha card.
  • edited December 2009

Im looking for cards that work together....

ACE 3 4 5, 45 are the same suit.....

the ace is completely useless right? Other than representing the nut flush on the river but forget that....

With the ace I can only have the low end of the straight....

So unless 3 aces come, its rubbish....

Therefore, how does this hand rank as a starting hand? - Seem to be losing alot trying to hit with it...just calling pre folding flop.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
      With a hand like that you are looking very weak against virtually any flop and 45 suited only works for a str8 flush not the flush. 
    AAK3  ds
    JJ1010 ds
    10JQK ds
    6789 ds
    6788 ds

These are just a few examples of hands that work well and have more possibilities covered. Double suited hands work very well as do straightening holdings. But it is important to be drawing near to the nuts on any of these hands. Try to have as many of the 6 holdings live preflop as this give you the most chance of hitting the flop.