You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Draw Poker Riddle

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
I just posted then realised, that you said "all suits are equal", and "win"...so I deleted it :D

AAAAx, then the next hand throw 3 Aces and pick up the rest of a royal flush :)

Comments

• edited November 2013
    A riddle for you fine folk on this Friday afternoon... something to procrastinate over in your last hour of work. :)

Took me a while to get this to be honest, so either im pretty thick or its not that easy.  I'll let you guys decide.

Riddle:

Two men are playing draw poker with a standard 52-card deck. They spread the deck face up on the table so that both players can see all the cards. Player 1 draws a hand by choosing any five cards he wants. Player 2 does the same. Now, Player 1 can either keep the hand he has or draw up to 5 cards. Player 2 can do the same. The player with the better hand wins.

Rules:
    - Cards that are discarded by a player are no longer part of the game.
    - All the suits are equal in value, so a flush will tie with another flush unless one has higher cards.

After a few rounds, the players realize that Player 1 can always win if he draws a certain hand on his first turn. What hand should this be?

*Edit*

Technically there are 11 different answers.

*Answers*

1) 10101010x

2-11)

TTT  9Js
     TTT  9Qs
     TTT  9Ks
     TTT  9As
     TTT  J8s
     TTT  Q8s
     TTT  K8s
     TTT  J7s
     TTT  Q7s
     TTT  J6s

Where the suited are of the suit you havent got the T
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Draw Poker Riddle:
    I just posted then realised, that you said "all suits are equal", and "win"...so I deleted it :D  AAAAx, then the next hand throw 3 Aces and pick up the rest of a royal flush :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Nope.

Player two can pick up KKKKx to block this.

Not that easy ChicknMelt!
  • edited November 2013
    AAAAK

he can the discard 3 aces and make a royal????

cant be that too simple in my eyes I must have misunderstood it lol
  • edited November 2013
    AAAAK he can the discard 3 aces and make a royal???? cant be that too simple in my eyes I must have misunderstood it lol
    Posted by shuv
    see i was being thick :)
  • edited November 2013
    AAAAK he can the discard 3 aces and make a royal???? cant be that too simple in my eyes I must have misunderstood it lol
    Posted by shuv

You've followed ChicknMelts example... but no, cause player two can block this from happening.  Player one can guarentee he will win by picking up a specific starting hand regardless of what player 2 does.
  • edited November 2013
    damn you... thought I had it.

TTTTx   then whatever direction player 2 blocks, you go the other way and get a traight flush.
  • edited November 2013
    id guess it would be 4*10 plus 1 other as no matter what your oppo draws you can make the higher straight flush?

just a guess tho.

Ha beaten to it lol
  • edited November 2013
    Correct!

But for an added bonus... what other hand/s can player one pick up to guarentee the win that isn't 10101010x?

There are 10 other hands...
  • edited November 2013
    Correct! But for an added bonus... what other hand/s can player one pick up to guarentee the win that isn't 10101010x? There are 10 other hands...
    Posted by gazza127

I'm guessing 5555x on the same proviso?

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Draw Poker Riddle : I'm guessing 5555x on the same proviso?
    Posted by Sky_Dave

Wouldnt work because they would counter with TTTTx
  • edited November 2013
    Yep 5555x doesnt work, because as Talon says player 2 could counter with TTTTx

....or just go straight for the royal flush which means youve at best tied the hand.

Hint - When you get 1 of the remaining hands, then the other 9 should just rattle off.
  • edited November 2013
     Just using pure logic here.

Right the standard of the TTTTx hand is definitive. This means that you have to have at least 1 T in your starting hand. Then it follows that you must also put blockers to the royals in all the other suits as well. But you cant go for  4 A or K or Q because thay can counter with the 4 of a kind directly below.

By this am getting a combination paint hand covering the suits and a T.
     Also JJJJT
  • edited November 2013
    Is it TTJQK  4 suited  etc
  • edited November 2013

Edit that one. The rest is right but just worked out that JJJJT doesnt get the job done.
  • edited November 2013
     Just using pure logic here.   Right the standard of the TTTTx hand is definitive. This means that you have to have at least 1 T in your starting hand. Then it follows that you must also put blockers to the royals in all the other suits as well. But you cant go for  4 A or K or Q because thay can counter with the 4 of a kind directly below.  By this am getting a combination paint hand covering the suits and a T.  Also JJJJT
    Posted by Talon
    And if they counter with 10101010J?

Then theyve blocked all the high straight flushes.

Afraid thats not the correct answer.... but you are right.  You need at least 1 10 in every hand.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Draw Poker Riddle : And if they counter with 10101010J? Then theyve blocked all the high straight flushes. Afraid thats not the correct answer.... but you are right.  You need at least 1 10 in every hand.
    Posted by gazza127

That would put 5 T's and 5 J's in the deck. But worked out they could counter with TTT and Q9s of the TJs. Leaving then nut  straight flushes available in all suits.
  • edited November 2013
    Is it TTJQK  4 suited  etc
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Afraid not.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Draw Poker Riddle :   That would put 5 T's and 5 J's in the deck. But worked out they could counter with TTT and Q9s of the TJs. Leaving then nut  straight flushes available in all suits.
    Posted by Talon
    Ah. God. Misread what you put.  Lol.

But yes... it doesnt work.

Hint - reread what you've put.
  • edited November 2013
    Must be being stupid here, Player 1 selects 5 cards, then does Player 2. Player 1 can then change their entire hand (except cannot take in cards that Player 2 has taken), but then Player 2 can change again??

Don't see how Player 2 fails to win or at least draw!?
  • edited November 2013
    Must be being stupid here, Player 1 selects 5 cards, then does Player 2. Player 1 can then change their entire hand (except cannot take in cards that Player 2 has taken), but then Player 2 can change again?? Don't see how Player 2 fails to win or at least draw!?
    Posted by bbMike
    Ok I'll explain using the one correct answer we've picked.

If player 1 takes 10101010x  then he covers all of the royal flushes on the board, and all the straight flushes to the 10.  No matter what player 2 picks up, player 1 can make a better straight flush than player 2.

Player two can only pick up 5 cards, and has to block 8 (JJJJ,9999) cards... which obviously he can't do.

So if player 2 picks JJJJx then player 1 can get the 10 high straight flush... a hand which player 2 is unable to beat.... and vise versa with 9999x, as player 1 can now pick the royal flush.
  • edited November 2013
    Is it 10, j, q,k,a mixed suits so that all 4 royal flushes are ruined for the 2nd player?

Edit: scrap that player 2 just counters by doing the same thing
  • edited November 2013
    Is it 2 red 10s and 2 black jacks:

Therefore player 2 can only get low straight flushes on black side and can only block royal flushes on red side.

Remaining answers just mixture of 2 j's and 2 10's
  • edited November 2013
    Is it 2 red 10s and 2 black jacks: Therefore player 2 can only get low straight flushes on black side and can only block royal flushes on red side. Remaining answers just mixture of 2 j's and 2 10's
    Posted by jdsallstar

So play one picks:

10h 10d  Jc Js x

Yes this blocks the straight flush on both sides for player two, but if player two picks:

Jh   Jd  10c  10s  x

He then stops player one from picking a royal flush themselves.  Then its just a split pot as both players pick the straight flush to the 10.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Draw Poker Riddle : So play one picks: 10h 10d  Jc Js x Yes this blocks the straight flush on both sides for player two, but if player two picks: Jh   Jd  10c  10s  x He then stops player one from picking a royal flush themselves.  Then its just a split pot as both players pick the straight flush to the 10.
    Posted by gazza127
    FFS!
  • edited November 2013
    By the looks of it

TTT  9Js
     TTT  9Qs
     TTT  9Ks
     TTT  9As

Where the suited are of the suit you havent got the T of seem to work
  • edited November 2013
    By the looks of it  TTT  9Js  TTT  9Qs  TTT  9Ks  TTT  9As  Where the suited are of the suit you havent got the T of seem to work
    Posted by Talon
    Correct! Nice one. But there are 6 other hands player one can also pick.
  • edited November 2013

OK last go at this. Smae as before but the last 2 cards being

J8
     Q8
     K8
     J7
     Q7
     J6
  • edited November 2013
     OK last go at this. Smae as before but the last 2 cards being  J8  Q8  K8  J7  Q7  J6
    Posted by Talon
    Spot on!

Nice one.