You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

chipstack in main events

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
of course to can give any reasons for why this is a stupid, or good suggestion in the comments. personally, I like more play, so i obviously think its a good suggestion :D

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Was thinking about this last night - there are lots of qualifiers in the main events, and for others it may be the one bigger buy in tournament they play in, who I'm assuming would want to get as much play as possible. Generally they have a starting stack of 2k chips, 100bb, and 3k for the Primo on Sunday. More chips = more play, so I would prefer to see something like a 3k starting stack in the mains and a 5k starting stack in the primo. 

so my question to sky players is: do you like the current 2k starting stacks, or would you prefer more chips? ...or maybe you want less??

**EDIT**
    just wanted to highlight that the question is referring to the current starting chip stacks of 2k
  • edited November 2013
    I think 3k is about right for a main. With a 2k stack one bad hand early on can really put you on the back foot - 3k stack would cushion this somewhat.

Value in terms of buy in and stack size between mains and minis might encourage more to play mains.
  • edited November 2013

I would like to see the Main Events start with 3000 chips 
  • edited November 2013
    Big +1 to starting with 3k chips, just becomes a shove fest way too early in most main events which is why i dont play many.
  • edited November 2013
    would also be interesting to hear from SKY at some point to see if something like this is likely to be considered? esp if the vote results are pretty conclusive...
  • edited November 2013
    It has to be 3k, I like quick structured tourneys as much as the next guy but nothing beats a tourney with a bit of play to it, as the mains are now 1 beat or a mistake can cost you your tourney within 10 mins.... this is probably just me of course !!!
  • edited November 2013
    I think alot of us may ideially like even more than 3k... but then we would be finishing a bit too late, thats why I went for 3k in case you are wondering.

EDIT

Also interested to hear from the people that voted for a smaller starting stack..what starting stack would you prefer and why?
  • edited November 2013
    You lose a decent pot early doors in a BH ME and it's basically game over unless you pick up AA/KK or get lucky.

The £55 BH is so much better with 12min blinds and a 4k starting stack.

I'd perhaps leave the turbo and rebuy at 100bb, have the others as 150bb starting.
  • edited November 2013
    3k or more for me seems to be the general feeling here certainly all the better players will always want more as it increases the edge for them over weaker players and allows them to play more speculative hands to crack big pairs before their stack drops too low
  • edited November 2013
    I'd like to play a little deeper but dont want to be up all hours so how about a 7.30 start, 12 minute blinds and 3000 chips?
  • edited November 2013
    It's the blind incrememnts that need looking at so it plays deeper during the mid/late stages.

Tuesdays structure is so lobsided it's almost farcical.
  • edited November 2013
    What do ya reckon sky? 
  • edited November 2013
    1 vote for this thread is pointless probably sky haha
  • edited November 2013
    I haven't voted as I rarely play the main event only when Im lucky enough to sat in. The point Dohhhhhhh makes is very valid tho its no good raising the starting stack if the blinds alter to get you to the same point after 2hrs play. You need to address the structure as well as the starting stack.
  • edited November 2013
    It doesnt seem broke to me, so why change? 
    More chips would just mean later finishes and then a thread may appear saying tourneys go on too long!
  • edited November 2013
    does anyone know how to find out the average finish time of the primo vs other main events that have similar numbers? 
  • edited November 2013
    Lets just structure the BHS like the open rebuy and the 2k rebuy, these tourneys have solid structures and I would say people like these events more than any other on the site...
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: chipstack in main events:
    You lose a decent pot early doors in a BH ME and it's basically game over unless you pick up AA/KK or get lucky. The £55 BH is so much better with 12min blinds and a 4k starting stack. I'd perhaps leave the turbo and rebuy at 100bb, have the others as 150bb starting.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Really? I think the opposite is true in BH's. In a normal tourney if you lose a pot early people will still play the same against you but you have a lot less room to bluff. So it just becomes hard to accumulate chips as you have to wait for hands - but even then, you might not get action.

In BH's you have no room to bluff but on the plus side you will get action incredibly wide. You can often jam up to 30BB's and expect to get called by one player on a lot of tables.
  • edited November 2013
    I posted this a few days ago but got timed out when I clicked post and couldn't be bothered repeating it at the time... but basically, JJ has covered what I said. 

Starting stack is irrelevant if the blind structure is rubbish in later stages. More blind levels needed in later stages to allow for more play rather than (like JJ always goes on about) things like jumping from 400/800 to 600/1200 which is a HUGE jump in 1 level.

Imo, something has gone wrong if a tournament average is ever 15xBB or less on a tournament which isn't advertised as a Turbo.
  • edited November 2013
    If all the tournies were deep stacks with loads of play, then only the good/very players will always cash/win/FT .

Having smaller stacks when the tournies do have little room for play massively benefits the game.
    It gives worse/rec players a chance to get lucky or just go on a massive heater.   They win big money and suddenly think they are awesome. They eventually lose or withdraw this money and go on to  become depositing players.

Summary.  Personally I think the tournies are fine as they are .
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah i think if you are always deepstacked then the edge the profitable players have becomes even greater and that will eventually scare off those playing for fun and trying to cash and still get an earlyish night... although i would like to see 1 of the weekly BH's take the same structure as the 9pm £55 i think that would be a good addition without disrupting things too much..
  • edited November 2013
    One of the main reasons the weekly DoubleStack (ie deepstack) Main Event died a slow death was because it finished so late, even though it always had the smallest ME field of the week.

I feel Sky won't be keen to introduce changes that may have a negative impact on the total number of entrants so that a small group of elite players who post on the forum can have a bigger edge.

I do not/cannot enter MEs, so I'm unaffected and on the fence, just saying.
  • edited November 2013

the main events I wouldn't say are that much of a problem.
    it's the cheapest MTTs that could do with a better blind structure. the number of times their will be a multi-way pot can make the AK AQ, hands that will have to hit or be given up.

the calling stations seem to have scrapped cash tables and now moved over to the MTT's.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: chipstack in main events:
    the main events I wouldn't say are that much of a problem. it's the cheapest MTTs that could do with a better blind structure. the number of times their will be a multi-way pot can make the AK AQ, hands that will have to hit or be given up. the calling stations seem to have scrapped cash tables and now moved over to the MTT's.
    Posted by craigcu12
    +1 to this.  I think quite a lot of them only have a 'call' button.