You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good bluff or dumb play?

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This hand was from a while ago, but I suspect I may have had some sort of read on my opponent to even attempt a bluff like this. Just wanted to know if you guys would EVER attempt a bluff with cards like this - or is this play idiotic?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
OC1337 Small blind   75.00 75.00 4455.00
peter27 Big blind   150.00 225.00 1080.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

Danpower Fold        
OC1337 Call   75.00 300.00 4380.00
peter27 Check        
Flop

OC1337 Check        
peter27 Bet   150.00 450.00 930.00
OC1337 Call   150.00 600.00 4230.00
Turn

OC1337 Check        
peter27 Bet   300.00 900.00 630.00
OC1337 Call   300.00 1200.00 3930.00
River

OC1337 Check        
peter27 All-in   630.00 1830.00 0.00
OC1337 Fold        
peter27 Muck        
peter27 Win   1200.00   1200.00
peter27 Return   630.00 0.00 1830.00

Comments

• edited November 2013
    I'm wondering why he got all the way to the river. At the flop, I'm thinking he's going for the flush or has hit with something like ace seven. If it is the flush, he's got something like a 36% chance of hitting it from the flop, so given the bet you make (which makes it 3/1 on his money -> 25% chance of winning) is callable. By the turn, your bet is good given the story you present and I would be worried if I was him (he has no info on your hand really, since it's 'hidden' in the BB). The fact that he calls it stinks of a hopeful flush draw for me - though now his odds are only about 18% so he should throw it. Then the river misses and it's yours for the taking :)

I think you played the bluff well enough but it took some balls. In conclusion, I wouldn't say I'd never play something like this, but it wouldn't be something I'd make a habit of! Though it looks like this guy was just gonna call everything all the way trying to hit the flush so I'm not sure you could have even pushed him off it earlier.

So not a dumb play from you but the odds fell on your side this time. If it were me playing this hand, I'm just looking to fold it at the first oppurtunity and wait for something better to come along, even if your remaining BBs are a bit low.
  • edited November 2013
    Shove pre-flop.

We're playing fewer than ten big blinds and the small blind has limped. K5 will have decent equity against most of the hands he'll call with but a lot of the time he'll just fold.

Post-flop... Half-pot, half-pot, half-pot.

On the flop, alright, we're taking a stab. Once we're called here we've just got to give up. Continuing the bluff is just going to cost us a huge proportion of our already tiny stack. After he calls us on the flop, we have to assume he has some sort of hand and we're not going to get him to fold for the stack we have remaining.

Your half-pot on the river should only really get him to fold his missed flush draws. We beat all of those apart from Ax, which you'd expect him to have shoved pre-flop anyway... If he has a made hand, he should now call us. This time he folded but I think we're better off not putting the rest of our stack in. Just hand on to your 4BB and shove any Ace, King, decent Queen or pair before you hit the big blind again.

All of the post-flop stuff is irrelevant, though. We should be shoving pre-flop unless we have specific reason to think that the villain's limp must mean a strong hand.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Good bluff or dumb play?:
    Shove pre-flop. We're playing fewer than ten big blinds and the small blind has limped. K5 will have decent equity against most of the hands he'll call with but a lot of the time he'll just fold. Post-flop... Half-pot, half-pot, half-pot. On the flop, alright, we're taking a stab. Once we're called here we've just got to give up. Continuing the bluff is just going to cost us a huge proportion of our already tiny stack. After he calls us on the flop, we have to assume he has some sort of hand and we're not going to get him to fold for the stack we have remaining. Your half-pot on the river should only really get him to fold his missed flush draws. We beat all of those apart from Ax, which you'd expect him to have shoved pre-flop anyway... If he has a made hand, he should now call us. This time he folded but I think we're better off not putting the rest of our stack in. Just hand on to your 4BB and shove any Ace, King, decent Queen or pair before you hit the big blind again. All of the post-flop stuff is irrelevant, though. We should be shoving pre-flop unless we have specific reason to think that the villain's limp must mean a strong hand.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Didn't need to read past the first 3 words.

Just shove pre flop.

You have a really strong hand here.
  • edited November 2013
    As BL said, just shove pre, you dont have the stack to be doing anything but shoving or folding pre
  • edited November 2013
    Alright, took me a while to get round to analysing this but thanks for the replies :-)