You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how should i ave played this

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic

EARLY STAGES OF A 30P TURBO SHOULD I AVE CALLED RIVER. BET MORE ON FLOP AND BET TURN  OR GONE ALL IN AFTER HIS RE RAISE ON RIVER.REALISE I PLAYED THIS REALLY POORLY
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceTHEOWL576Small blind 15.0015.001045.00eddie1953Big blind 30.0045.00970.00 Your hole cardsJA   gregadamFold    BFC4EVER09Raise 60.00105.00940.00eegore17Fold    mickeydunFold    THEOWL576Call 45.00150.001000.00eddie1953Call 30.00180.00940.00Flop  9K10   THEOWL576Check    eddie1953Check    BFC4EVER09Bet 60.00240.00880.00THEOWL576Call 60.00300.00940.00eddie1953Call 60.00360.00880.00Turn  2   THEOWL576Check    eddie1953Check    BFC4EVER09Check    River  7   THEOWL576Check    eddie1953Check    BFC4EVER09Bet 120.00480.00760.00THEOWL576Fold    eddie1953Raise 600.001080.00280.00BFC4EVER09Fold    eddie1953Muck    eddie1953Win 600.00 880.00

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to how should i ave played this:
    EARLY STAGES OF A 30P TURBO SHOULD I AVE CALLED RIVER. BET MORE ON FLOP AND BET TURN  OR GONE ALL IN AFTER HIS RE RAISE ON RIVER.REALISE I PLAYED THIS REALLY POORLY Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance THEOWL576 Small blind   15.00 15.00 1045.00 eddie1953 Big blind   30.00 45.00 970.00   Your hole cards J A       gregadam Fold         BFC4EVER09 Raise   60.00 105.00 940.00 eegore17 Fold         mickeydun Fold         THEOWL576 Call   45.00 150.00 1000.00 eddie1953 Call   30.00 180.00 940.00 Flop     9 K 10       THEOWL576 Check         eddie1953 Check         BFC4EVER09 Bet   60.00 240.00 880.00 THEOWL576 Call   60.00 300.00 940.00 eddie1953 Call   60.00 360.00 880.00 Turn     2       THEOWL576 Check         eddie1953 Check         BFC4EVER09 Check         River     7       THEOWL576 Check         eddie1953 Check         BFC4EVER09 Bet   120.00 480.00 760.00 THEOWL576 Fold         eddie1953 Raise   600.00 1080.00 280.00 BFC4EVER09 Fold         eddie1953 Muck         eddie1953 Win   600.00   880.00
    Posted by BFC4EVER09
    Note: I'm still learning, so don't take my advice as gospel!

Interesting hand, I would be tempted to bet a bit more pre-flop. You're value betting with this hand and raising to 60 when the BB is 30 isn't really going to achieve anything, chances are they will call regardless of what they have (most people would).

As played, you could have really bet more on the flop too. You do have the straight draw, and a 60 chip bet to make the pot 240 gives them decent odds to call, even if they don't really have that much. I would suggest half pot, so 90 chips.

On the turn, I'm not particularly sure as played. If you had bet bigger on previous streets you could represent value with the flush draw (big bet) but at the moment your hand doesn't look overly strong to the other players. I probably would have checked as you did.

On the river I would again go half pot for the opening bet to represent greater strength. Then I would have called his re-raise. It smells like a bluff re-raise to me to be honest as he initially checked on the river - it is possible he could have been checking for deception and hoping someone else would make a bet (which you did), but that seems unlikely given that everyone checked on the turn not showing much strength.

Actually, I said call his re-raise, but he has so few chips left, you may as well just put him all in at that stage.

Would be interested to get feedback from others on this feedback haha
  • edited November 2013
    I don't think I've played a turbo DYM in my life but meh it's all poker so I'll give it a go.

Your raise preflop is fine because effective stacks are only in the region of 30xBB so think 3x'ing is too much if we're not just gonna be opening hands which are 100% pure value.

I'd probably cbet a tiny bit bigger but it's not a big deal, we could also checkback and take the free card cos that's the kinda flop people peeling are gonna hit and not want to fold to 1 bet.

Checkback on turn is good

On river I just give up, don't think we're gonna get a fold from much on the river. And by give I mean, I wouldn't even bet... we still have a some hands beat that maybe missed straight/flush draws but we just aint getting people to fold most pairs as played.
  • edited November 2013
    There is no way I'm folding that river after oppo has checked before me. After the turn has been checked if the oppo has the Ah or Qh I think it unlikely they will check river they would be betting for value here.
    With the 3rd nut flush I'm calling this off at very least.
  • edited November 2013
    Jeeeezuz lol, I thought we had A-high!!!

Was wondering why Peter said it had to be a call on the river and then rock agreed lol.

Ok then yeh, everything I said above but betting river is fine, and we probably have to call the river
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: how should i ave played this:
    In Response to how should i ave played this : Note: I'm still learning, so don't take my advice as gospel! Interesting hand, I would be tempted to bet a bit more pre-flop. You're value betting with this hand and raising to 60 when the BB is 30 isn't really going to achieve anything, chances are they will call regardless of what they have (most people would). As played, you could have really bet more on the flop too. You do have the straight draw, and a 60 chip bet to make the pot 240 gives them decent odds to call, even if they don't really have that much. I would suggest half pot, so 90 chips. On the turn, I'm not particularly sure as played. If you had bet bigger on previous streets you could represent value with the flush draw (big bet) but at the moment your hand doesn't look overly strong to the other players. I probably would have checked as you did. On the river I would again go half pot for the opening bet to represent greater strength. Then I would have called his re-raise. It smells like a bluff re-raise to me to be honest as he initially checked on the river - it is possible he could have been checking for deception and hoping someone else would make a bet (which you did), but that seems unlikely given that everyone checked on the turn not showing much strength. Actually, I    said call his re-raise, but he has so few chips left, you may as well just put him all in at that stage. Would be interested to get feedback from others on this feedback haha
    Posted by peter27
    MUCH APRRECIATED PETER KEEP THE DIARY GOIN TOO
  • edited November 2013
    I don't think I've played a turbo DYM in my life but meh it's all poker so I'll give it a go. Your raise preflop is fine because effective stacks are only in the region of 30xBB so think 3x'ing is too much if we're not just gonna be opening hands which are 100% pure value. I'd probably cbet a tiny bit bigger but it's not a big deal, we could also checkback and take the free card cos that's the kinda flop people peeling are gonna hit and not want to fold to 1 bet. Checkback on turn is good On river I just give up, don't think we're gonna get a fold from much on the river. And by give I mean, I wouldn't even bet... we still have a some hands beat that maybe missed straight/flush draws but we just aint getting people to fold most pairs as played.
    Posted by Lambert180
    THANKS FOR TAKING TIME OUT TO REPLY LAMBERT VERY MUCH APPRECIATED WILL HELP ME IN MY GAME
  • edited November 2013
    There is no way I'm folding that river after oppo has checked before me. After the turn has been checked if the oppo has the Ah or Qh I think it unlikely they will check river they would be betting for value here. With the 3rd nut flush I'm calling this off at very least.
    Posted by a00rock
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY ROCK MUCH APPRECIATED
  • edited November 2013
    I don't think we should c-bet this flop at all, 3-handed. It's so hard for our opponents to have completely missed this board and we only have a gut-shot. So many of the villain's hands have us drawing thin or could check-raise semi-bluff on this flop, forcing us to fold the better hand having put in more money.

If we are going to bet this flop, we should bet the same as we would with all our value hands. If we had a set, I doubt we'd bet so small on a wet board, so we shouldn't bet small when we're on a bluff or semi-bluff. It's such a wet board that, if we're going to bet, I think we need to bet quite a bit bigger. Perhaps between 2/3 and 3/4 pot.

I definitely wouldn't bet the flop, though...
  • edited November 2013
    On the river, as played, I don't mind the small bet. We're trying to get called by hands from the 9-flush and lower, after all. We should be making this bet size if we held the nuts too, I'd say, given the weakness shown and the short stacks.

I think it needs to be a bet-fold, though. Without specific reads I really don't think we can expect the villain to be check-raising the river as a bluff and he's unlikely to do so with weaker flushes.
  • edited November 2013
    On the river, as played, I don't mind the small bet. We're trying to get called by hands from the 9-flush and lower, after all. We should be making this bet size if we held the nuts too, I'd say, given the weakness shown and the short stacks. I think it needs to be a bet-fold, though. Without specific reads I really don't think we can expect the villain to be check-raising the river as a bluff and he's unlikely to do so with weaker flushes.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    CHEERS BL IT ALL GOOD ADVICE TO ME WILL TAKE IT ALL ON BOARD