You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Ettiqutte Required?

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all, fairly new to poker and certainly new to the forums. Have noticed that players who dont play exactly as expected are often slated on the forum and chat boxes for being "weak" "donks" and sometimes worse. Surely if we all played exactly as we should, or as the experts say all games would be won by the fall of the cards only.

Im a believer in the skill involved in poker (not that I have any), find it interesting and challenging to learn but think its beauty can be lost lost in the belief that theres a hidden ettiquette involved that has to be followed.

Im only writing this as alot of what I read on the forums tonight waiting for the main event tonight was quite harsh on those who aren't playing perfect poker.

Its not a rant only an observation, let them play bad, let me play bad, its my entry fee :)

See you on the tables, only once or twice a week though as the missus gets the hump!!!

p.s love the channel, the site, forum and the banter just interested peoples views on the matter

MSD1982

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Very good post and very good attitude mate

Good luck to you at the tables
  • edited November 2013
    Poker does seem to bring out the worst in some people. If they can't handle the vagaries of the game I don't know why they bother playing. And it does seem to getting worse.

Of course, you don't even have to have made a bad play to encourage their ire. Beating some of them, even if you have pocket Aces is enough for some chunterers (Tikay's word) to suggest either you played it wrong or got so lucky you'd have thought you'd won the National Lottery not a simple hand of cards.

The best advice comes courtesy of Baz Luhrman's "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)"

"Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults;
    if you succeed in doing this, tell me how"

• edited November 2013
    if i took notice of some peole on here i would never play a hand but i donot and just enjoy taking there money hehehe thank you brian
  • edited November 2013
    I think the thing is sometimes people just lose their emotions. They say things they don't mean. 

Ive seen some of the nicest people i know have a go at myself and others on the table. Ive often had a pm the next day saying sorry and they didnt mean it. 

Its a funny game 
  • edited November 2013
    It gets a bit over the top when someone wants you dead and its only a freeroll
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Poker Ettiqutte Required?:
    Hi all, fairly new to poker and certainly new to the forums. Have noticed that players who dont play exactly as expected are often slated on the forum and chat boxes for being "weak" "donks" and sometimes worse. Surely if we all played exactly as we should, or as the experts say all games would be won by the fall of the cards only. Im a believer in the skill involved in poker (not that I have any), find it interesting and challenging to learn but think its beauty can be lost lost in the belief that theres a hidden ettiquette involved that has to be followed. Im only writing this as alot of what I read on the forums tonight waiting for the main event tonight was quite harsh on those who aren't playing perfect poker. Its not a rant only an observation, let them play bad, let me play bad, its my entry fee :) See you on the tables, only once or twice a week though as the missus gets the hump!!! p.s love the channel, the site, forum and the banter just interested peoples views on the matter MSD1982
    Posted by MSD1982
    Very interesting post as I am a big believer in poker etiquette.

In my opinion, there is a very fine line between what is acceptable behaviour and not. I don't think you should ever call a player weak full stop, it is quite frankly rude. Sure, there are players I have come across on Sky Poker who are weak, that is my opinion and I am entitled to it - but I would never "name and shame" them. It is their money, they can play how they like! For all I know they are multi-millionaires and really don't care about losing; perhaps they just want a bit of a gamble - perfectly fine!

The only time I would feel comfortable giving criticism is if I was specifically asked to give my opinion on their play - such as in the poker clinic section of the forum. Even that criticism would not be saying the player is weak though. I would state however that play is "sub-optimal in order to make profit" or words of a similar elk.

As I said, it is a fine line ... the phrase "treat others as you want to be treated" springs to mind, but even then some people don't mind being treated harsher than others so that can fail too - you may offend someone by accident. It can be a bit of a minefield actually. In my book though, the big no-no is criticising a player or specific thing at the table itself - that's just not on. It angers me very much when a player is out-drawn, gets knocked out and says something like "you're a s*** player going all-in on that, go play bingo" to their opponent - happens far too often. It is a terrible attitude and is quite frankly, undignified.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Poker Ettiqutte Required?:
    Hi all, fairly new to poker and certainly new to the forums. Have noticed that players who dont play exactly as expected are often slated on the forum and chat boxes for being "weak" "donks" and sometimes worse. Surely if we all played exactly as we should, or as the experts say all games would be won by the fall of the cards only. Im a believer in the skill involved in poker (not that I have any), find it interesting and challenging to learn but think its beauty can be lost lost in the belief that theres a hidden ettiquette involved that has to be followed. Im only writing this as alot of what I read on the forums tonight waiting for the main event tonight was quite harsh on those who aren't playing perfect poker. Its not a rant only an observation, let them play bad, let me play bad, its my entry fee :) See you on the tables, only once or twice a week though as the missus gets the hump!!! p.s love the channel, the site, forum and the banter just interested peoples views on the matter MSD1982
    Posted by MSD1982

Hi . . . You're absolutely right, it is nobody's business how you play your game, it is your money and you can play however you want. Enjoy it, work at your game if you want to improve, turn the chat box off most of the time ;-),  have fun and don't listen to people telling you what to do.

• edited November 2013
    I agree with everything that people have said on here.The ones that make me laugh most is when someone with say a 500 chip stack insults  someone who has amassed a 10000 chip stack telling them what a total donk there are or a fish or whatever yet they are the one that is short stacked.can never figure that out.I have also encountered a female player recently who shall remain nameless who seems to play the same DYM's as me and everytime she losses a hand even if she gets it all in before the flop with the worst hand and gets called and loses its always never her fault the other guy just got lucky on her or he is told what a bad player he is and shouldn't be at her table can never figure that one out either....
  • edited November 2013
    Totally agree with this post.. but I do agree with the don, I have been known to let my emotions get the better of me at times, I have had a few rants in my time which I am not proud of.. I have never said your a f****** donk or whatever but I have said things like how r u ever in the pot with this hand or something along these lines, after a couple of minutes I have always apolagised or sent a PM, poker is a game of skill over a certain sample size and sometimes we forgot that there is alot of luck involved, say u run deep in a big tourney and someone stations ur 30bb 3 bet jam with kings to snap with a4 off and river the ace it is the most frustrating thing ever but it is there money they should be allowed to play how they want but you are entilted to be a little piissed off. I actually think you want people ranting in the chatbox because this in my eyes is a form of tilt ,I forget at the time you want him to call with this hand every single day of the week because over time you will make alot of money from these type of calls. I think this is probably the weakest part of my game and tilts me hugely, say I have 6 tables open an this happens in a spot where if it holds ur leading the tourney with 10 left I can garantee I will have bust my other 5 tables within minutes.
  • edited November 2013
    good afternoon ms
    I PLAY LOW STAKES AND CAN AFFORD 2 LOSE £40 A WEEK , I NORMALLY PLAY THE DEEPSTACK AT 2.20PM 4 £2.20 most of the players on their are very friendly , so i would recommend it if u are available .
    You will still get the odd player telling you how bad you are , but they are outnumbered by friendly players, who i have found to be the better players .
    all the best
    Rainman397
  • edited November 2013
    My vocabulary has increased 100% since I started winning hands then checked out the chat box!
    However, I'd only give the Chunterers 6/10 for spelling!

The fact you raised this post indicates your enthusiasm for the game.
    My advice would be always play the game you feel comfortable with!
    Ignore the hecklers,if they were as good as they thought they were, You wouldn't have just dumped them out of the tournament!.
    if you want to improve, rail the  closing stages of main events and cash games.
    Finally there are many great threads on Bankrolll Management in the forum, read them and establish a system that works for you,
  • edited November 2013
    Of the small stake SNGs i normally play i find that the nastiness on the Omaha tables is considerably less than on the Hold'em tables. Assuming you do noy play these already MSD1982 then maybe you should give them a go, it's a more interesting/fun game as well imo.
  • edited November 2013
    Cheers guys, all posts appreciated muchly!!!