You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

S.O.S

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
As I am typing this I am thinking that maybe I should just close the laptop and go watch some telly. Before I go on I want to make it clear I am not saying the site is rigged or wanting this to come across like some whining school boy lol.

A while ago I had posted about MTTs and got some cracking advice from a lot of people. Since that time I have tried playing numerous MTTs and put that advice to good use. I think the best I have done is final tabled a few MTTs and won the DTD (excellent MTTs by the way, best micro MTTs on here) once a couple of months ago.

Those small highs are what keeps me coming back to play MTTs but at the moment I am running sooooo bad. I just cant seem to win a flip at crucial moments in the mid to late stages. I know suckouts are part of the game, you give em and recieve em but I now find myself expecting the absolute worst every time I get it in and it feels like I am always right lol.

Does this type of run happen to most people? Do I play through it and try and turn variance around? Do I give up? Am I just not good enough to win? I have made a decent profit from micro cash tables and whilst the BR isnt going south I am pretty much just treading water.

I know that as Carlo (where is he by the way) says, "it is a never ending game" and I have taken a break but this run is affecting how I play. Don't get me wrong, I can donk it off with the best of them and I have reviewed some of my own hands back and went "what an idiot".

I honestly don't want this to seem like a rant or a go at the site, it is not that. I am sitting here a bit down as the game I love playing doesn't seem to love me back at the moment. Probably there is no right answer but I thought I would throw it out there to see if there was any tips that some of you have used through the rough times.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Just gotta take the rough with the smooth.

-Never stop looking to improve your game. 
    -Always play within your bankroll.
    -If you think you are playing well (in the main), then keep on cracking on. 
    -Variance can/will hit any player of any ability at any given time.

If you B/R isn't going south (sigh), then I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Just keep playing the games you feel comfortable playing, keep making logical decisions at the table, and the tide will turn sooner or later.

• edited November 2013
    Take a look at your game in the mid stages of mtts mate to see if there is anyway to improve the way you build your stack.

It could be just a case of you not playing optimal poker in certain situations and leaving yourself short and at the mercy of the poker gods.

GL
  • edited November 2013
    Dabossman where your at right now is where every poker player has been at some time. It's purely a case of -variance outweighing the positive. Whether you play through it or take a break is entirely up to you. Also I'm sure a lack of confidence affects everyone's game. You find yourself playing too many hands just to try and take down a pot. One thing that can help you with confidence is team members railing you. Have you thought about joining a team? As you have played DTD you probably know all the teams involved and having team members on the rail can actually help with your confidence. If your not in a team i think it's worth considering.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: S.O.S:
    Dabossman where your at right now is where every poker player has been at some time. It's purely a case of -variance outweighing the positive. Whether you play through it or take a break is entirely up to you. Also I'm sure a lack of confidence affects everyone's game. You find yourself playing too many hands just to try and take down a pot. One thing that can help you with confidence is team members railing you. Have you thought about joining a team? As you have played DTD you probably know all the teams involved and having team members on the rail can actually help with your confidence. If your not in a team i think it's worth considering.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    I had thought about asking if anyone wanted me in their team but I am unsure if my USP, "Rubbish at MTTs", would lend itself to anyone wanting to have me!!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: S.O.S : I had thought about asking if anyone wanted me in their team but I am unsure if my USP, "Rubbish at MTTs", would lend itself to anyone wanting to have me!!
    Posted by dabossman
    Try Hitsquad your USP is pretty common over there. Seriously it can help your game. TPT has recently expanded it's member list and I would say that nearly every new player this year says it helps them to focus and play better when they are playing for a team and have team mates railing (a TPT speciality) . Also like yourself one of our most popular members has been having a rough time of it for quite a while now. After yet another break he played DTD last night and the support he got made all the difference. It's very much a mental attitude that can make the difference and a team can help with that. Other teams are available as well as TPT *

*Team thread linky
  • edited November 2013
    hi dabossman it happens to every player,i once lost with aa eleven times on a trot,if i went all in or pre raised 3, 4, 5 times bb or slow rolled nothing worked.if the player had rag ace he would hit fl or run with the rag lol 
     you say about donking with the best of em,maybe your range is to wide.if you have say 99 ten ten jj qq kq ak try a 4 times bb instead of all in that would stop the rag ace binks.if you see flop and theres an ace then you can fold.after all the best move in poker is the fold not many can do it but it means your bad beats are fewer.with small pairs try to see flops cheap if you hit you get paid big.if you go all in with small pairs then the bad beats mount up quickly. gl with your game try not to beat yourself up.try dif ways of playing.if your going all in with high cards look at there chip stack if they have lower its not fatal if they have more then try the fold theres allways another hand.that could get you through the mid and final stages of mtts.

• edited November 2013
    hi dabossman it happens to every player,i once lost with aa eleven times on a trot,if i went all in or pre raised 3, 4, 5 times bb or slow rolled nothing worked.if the player had rag ace he would hit fl or run with the rag lol   you say about donking with the best of em,maybe your range is to wide.if you have say 99 ten ten jj qq kq ak try a 4 times bb instead of all in that would stop the rag ace binks.if you see flop and theres an ace then you can fold.after all the best move in poker is the fold not many can do it but it means your bad beats are fewer.with small pairs try to see flops cheap if you hit you get paid big.if you go all in with small pairs then the bad beats mount up quickly. gl with your game try not to beat yourself up.try dif ways of playing.if your going all in with high cards look at there chip stack if they have lower its not fatal if they have more then try the fold theres allways another hand.that could get you through the mid and final stages of mtts.     
    Posted by trevil25

Wait a minute, surely if there is a way to get all your chips in pre with 99+ vs Ace rag, we take this every time?!
  • edited November 2013
    very true but ive lost count how many times ive lost to rag ace if all in pre. if flop has no ace then an all in after flop will norm get you through.
  • edited November 2013
    very true but ive lost count how many times ive lost to rag ace if all in pre. if flop has no ace then an all in after flop will norm get you through.
    Posted by trevil25
    Sorry, I just can't agree with this. No logic behind it whatsoever.
  • edited November 2013
    ok let me put it another way dabossman was asking if bad beats where the norm.awns of course they are.but the less times you put all your chips on the line the less it will happen.after all you dont know they have rag ace your all in with 99 could be up ag aa kk qq jj etc   
  • edited November 2013
    ok let me put it another way dabossman was asking if bad beats where the norm.awns of course they are.but the less times you put all your chips on the line the less it will happen.after all you dont know they have rag ace your all in with 99 could be up ag aa kk qq jj etc   
    Posted by trevil25
    Yes, but you were specifically talking about losing to raggy aces when holding strong to premium pairs. Clearly we never know what others are holding, but to suggest not going all in with 99+ cos you might get outdrawn by ace rag is absurd. If there is a way to get our chips over the line with 99+ vs a raggy ace we take this everytime.
  • edited November 2013
    rag ace binks was just an example rather than going through every hand you could be up against. dabossman is having lots of bad beats just trying to help him get less.obv that your fav with 99 upwards but it is no surprise when you lose to rag ace when you are running so poor and it seems to happen when your in mid to late stages of mtts.which gets your goat a tad more lol
  • edited November 2013
    rag ace binks was just an example rather than going through every hand you could be up against. dabossman is having lots of bad beats just trying to help him get less.obv that your fav with 99 upwards but it is no surprise when you lose to rag ace when you are running so poor and it seems to happen when your in mid to late stages of mtts.which gets your goat a tad more lol
    Posted by trevil25
    I suppose my post last night really looked like me having a "woe is me" moment, bad beat chunter. Honestly, beats happen and are an essential part of the game. I don't really know what I wanted to achieve from the post, I suppose the reassurance that I am not the only person who has seen this type of thing.

As poker is a solitary game it can feel like the world is against you at times and can mess with your head. I think at the moment I am doubting my game, the deck and my luck lol. I just wondered if there was any advice/experiences from the community as to how they have dealt with this type of thing.

Thanks for all the input guys.

• edited November 2013
    Posted by trevil25

If it's happening to you mid to late stages of MTTs, then presumably you've been running well enough up to then, surely?