You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Promotion in SNGs

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
As a new player I was looking at the promotions of the site and I found out that there are Happy hours in cash games when you get a 50% bonus on points earned.

I started playing here DYMs (I have tried some cash but I didn't work for me) so I was wondering why don't SNGs benefit from the happy hours promo? Why exclude SNG players from this promotion?

Also from what I have seen in the promotions run by sky there is not a single promotion for SNGs. Cash players benefit from both happy hours and early bird and for MTT players there are the Final Table Jackpot and the magnificent seven.

So my question is can sky run a promotion for SNGs? Why not extend the happy hours for SNGs or think of an alternative promotion?

What are people's thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,
Dimitris

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Would be a great idea to have a happy hour for sngs.  Personally I would like to see some 9max sngs made available (will the new software support 9max?)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Promotion in SNGs:
    As a new player I was looking at the promotions of the site and I found out that there are Happy hours in cash games when you get a 50% bonus on points earned. I started playing here DYMs (I have tried some cash but I didn't work for me) so I was wondering why don't SNGs benefit from the happy hours promo? Why exclude SNG players from this promotion? Also from what I have seen in the promotions run by sky there is not a single promotion for SNGs. Cash players benefit from both happy hours and early bird and for MTT players there are the Final Table Jackpot and the magnificent seven. So my question is can sky run a promotion for SNGs? Why not extend the happy hours for SNGs or think of an alternative promotion? What are people's thoughts on this subject? Thanks, Dimitris
    Posted by DimTzar
    This is something that comes up a lot from sng players. In fairness to sky, they had a double points promo for a week last month. I think you must have joined just after this. 

My impression is that it was hugely sucessful and dyms in particular where very popular. I am not sure if sky plan on running this promo again. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Promotion in SNGs:
    In Response to Promotion in SNGs : This is something that comes up a lot from sng players. In fairness to sky, they had a double points promo for a week last month. I think you must have joined just after this.  My impression is that it was hugely sucessful and dyms in particular where very popular. I am not sure if sky plan on running this promo again. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    It comes up because it's a bit "unfair" for sng players in my opinion. I know someone will say that sky cannot keep everyone happy but there is a big gap in promotions between cash, mtts and sngs. 

I think it would be good if sky put up different happy hours for sngs eg. 12-1, 5-6, 10-11.
  • edited November 2013

Hi Mr DimTzar. 

I don't believe it is unfair.

All Promos are open to everyone, but it's not possible to please everyone. There, you said we'd say that.....

There was a DOUBLE REWARDS week for SNG's only last month, & I expect there'll be another soon. It worked well, I gather, but so did the Cash & MTT "Doubles" Weeks. 

The fact is, the majority of Promos here, & on every other Online Poker Site are directed towards those who mainly play cash. The reason is obvious, there are far, far more cash game players than any other format, & by a very considerable margin. On a typical site, if you added MTT & SNG traffic together, it would barely be half of Cash Game traffic. That's an industry-wide standard, almost the same on any & all Online Poker Sites, so it stands to reason that the majority of the Promos are aimed to the biggest market. It would make no sense to do otherwise. 

Personally, I mainly play DYM's, so yes, I'd love it, but that does not mean it is unfair if we don't get more Promos. The bulk of the Promos have to be directed towards where the bulk of the traffic is.

I hope you continue to enjoy the DYM's, with or without Promos. Fun is the name of the game. ;)   
  • edited November 2013
    The akward moment when someone calls you Mr and makes you realise you are not a boy anymore. Thanks for that Tikay. :)

I do not know about the Double Rewards week as I wasn't a member on the site back then.

I understand the online gaming world as I have been involved even before I was 18 (don't tell this to anyone else). 

I also understand that there are not as many SNG players as cash players (SNG players are even less than MTT players) but I just see this gap on the site. Maybe it would be good if instead of 3 happy hours/day as they exist for cash games we could see one hour of happy hours a day for SNG players.

Also by checking the SNG lobby apart from DYMs the other forms of SNGs don't run that often. Maybe its about time sky does a promo to boost numbers and introduce some cash players to the SNG format. :) 

• edited November 2013
    I thought the promos went to cash players because they pay more rake?
  • edited November 2013
    I respectfully disagree.

The depth and frequency of promotions geared towards sngs are a complete disgrace on this site. That is a fact not an opinion.
  • edited November 2013
    A disgrace in which direction - Too many or too few? This is not clear from your post
  • edited November 2013
    My bad, too few SNG promotions. There has been about 3 in the last 2 years?
  • edited November 2013
    In that case, I agree with you, although perhaps I wouldn't go so far as to call it a disgrace
  • edited November 2013
    Would be a great idea to have a happy hour for sngs.  Personally I would like to see some 9max sngs made available (will the new software support 9max?)
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    I think I am right in saying that currently all Sky Poker games are 6max or lower? For me, this is one of the charms of the site, and one of the reasons why I play here instead of other sites so I would not be interested in 9max games. It makes Sky Poker unique in comparison to other sites :-)

Having said that, I can totally understand why players would want 9max games - it's just not of personal interest to me :p

it stands to reason that the majority of the Promos are aimed to the biggest market. It would make no sense to do otherwise.
    Posted by Tikay10
    This may be a dumb question, but why? Isn't there an argument that promos should be directed more towards less popular forms of poker in order to increase the numbers there?

The "double week" was great, but I think that the original post was aimed more at the majority of weeks in the year. MTT's have the jackpot matrix, cash games have the happy hours and currently SNG's have nothing. I may be missing something really obvious, but I don't see why more popular forms of poker should get more promotions.
  • edited November 2013
    If sky are happy with the current amount of tables that are running for sngs during it's quiet periods then I guess that they have no real reason to offer a 'Happy Hour', however, if promoting a 'Happy Hour' would increase it's traffic for sngs then surely this is the logical thing to do?

I have never seen a 'regular' sng 6 max table running.  Only DYMs seem to run so perhaps they should try to run some kind of promotion for 'regular' sngs?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Promotion in SNGs : I think I am right in saying that currently all Sky Poker games are 6max or lower? For me, this is one of the charms of the site, and one of the reasons why I play here instead of other sites so I would not be interested in 9max games. It makes Sky Poker unique in comparison to other sites :-) Having said that, I can totally understand why players would want 9max games - it's just not of personal interest to me :p In Response to Re: Promotion in SNGs : This may be a dumb question, but why? Isn't there an argument that promos should be directed more towards less popular forms of poker in order to increase the numbers there? The "double week" was great, but I think that the original post was aimed more at the majority of weeks in the year. MTT's have the jackpot matrix, cash games have the happy hours and currently SNG's have nothing. I may be missing something really obvious, but I don't see why more popular forms of poker should get more promotions.
    Posted by peter27
    Morning Pete,

No, it's not a "dumb"question ("dumb" has suddenly become a fashionable word here...),. & yes, there is an argument for it. In my personal opinion, it is a flawed argument though. 

I have not asked the question, but I would assume reasoned business logic would work like this. (All numbers hypothetical).

Assume a Promo increases traffic by 10%.

Assume Cash Traffic = 70% of site volume.

Assume SNG traffic = 15% of site volume.  

Which Promo generates most extra volume?

Which Promo generates most return on the cost of the Promo?

Note also a goodly amount (not unreasonably) of self-interest in the thread, those who mainly play DYM's are bound to ask for more DYM Promos.......

Now do the Charlie Munger thing, & turn the problem upside down, to see if the proposed changes would work.

Going forward, ALL the Promos are for SNG's ONLY, & there are no Cash or MTT Promos. How well would that be received, & how cost-effective would it be?
  • edited November 2013
    @Tikay So if we were to assume that SNG traffic was 15% of site volume and Sky wanted it to start performing better would it not be a good idea to also run a happy hour for sngs to increase it's sng traffic?  I for one agree that it should be more weighted towards cash players because like you say, that is where the larger portion of the site volume is at but this does not give arguement for not giving a 'happy hour' to sng players unless of course it's been done in the past and it hardly increased it's traffic.
  • edited November 2013
    [QUOTE]@Tikay So if we were to assume that SNG traffic was 15% of site volume and Sky wanted it to start performing better would it not be a good idea to also run a happy hour for sngs to increase it's sng traffic?  I for one agree that it should be more weighted towards cash players because like you say, that is where the larger portion of the site volume is at but this does not give arguement for not giving a 'happy hour' to sng players unless of course it's been done in the past and it hardly increased it's traffic.
    Posted by DoubleAAA

Possibly, yes, but note my figures were hypothetical.

Care needs to be taken not to create blurred Message, & Promo Overload, though. Lets do the Munger thing again.

1) Happy Hours for Cash players. Outrage (!x21) may ensue if they were removed. 

2) Happy Hours for SNG's.

Everyone happy now?

No, because the MTT guys get uppity, what about us

Confusion may well reign in the Marketing Message, too, trying to promote both at the same time would be a right nightmare. 

I'm not being deliberately obdurate with you & others here (it comes naturally to me, obv...), but I'm trying to be Devil's advocate in these things, where, so often, only half the picture is painted, partly because of self-interest. No debate is complete without balance.

All suggestions are good, some more than others.  

• edited November 2013
    I'm actually an mtt player and of course would like some form of 'Happy Hour' for us guys and girls but I don't think that will happen :)
  • edited November 2013
    I'm actually an mtt player and of course would like some form of 'Happy Hour' for us guys and girls but I don't think that will happen :)
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Ha!

You never know, they had DOUBLE GUARANTEES for a week on Main Events last month, which was pretty neat, I thought. They also had a DOUBLE REWARDS week for cash, (may have been 2, I've forgotten) and a DOUBLE REWARDS week for SNG's.

People do have a chunter, it's natural, but if nothing else, Sky Poker must get at least some credit for trying different things, & keeping it fresh.

Who knows what they may come up with for December? 

• edited November 2013
    Could really do with a Double Points in Cash week before the month is out, to see me over the priority line. Any chance?
  • edited November 2013
    Could really do with a Double Points in Cash week before the month is out, to see me over the priority line. Any chance?
    Posted by splashies
    YBA......

I could do with one on SNG's, too........

;)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Promotion in SNGs : Morning Pete, No, it's not a "dumb"question ("dumb" has suddenly become a fashionable word here...),. & yes, there is an argument for it. In my personal opinion, it is a flawed argument though.  I have not asked the question, but I would assume reasoned business logic would work like this. (All numbers hypothetical).   Assume a Promo increases traffic by 10%. Assume Cash Traffic = 70% of site volume. Assume SNG traffic = 15% of site volume.   Which Promo generates most extra volume? Which Promo generates most return on the cost of the Promo? Note also a goodly amount (not unreasonably) of self-interest in the thread, those who mainly play DYM's are bound to ask for more DYM Promos.......   Now do the Charlie Munger thing, & turn the problem upside down, to see if the proposed changes would work.   Going forward, ALL the Promos are for SNG's ONLY, & there are no Cash or MTT Promos. How well would that be received, & how cost-effective would it be?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Okay, that does actually make sense.

However let's take your hypothetical figure that a "promo increases traffic by 10%", why not just do that for all forms of poker to increase traffic across the board?

A few times on this thread it has been said that one set of poker players will always be annoyed if a new promo is brought out - but is that actually the case? If all three forms of poker had a promotion (possibly under the same promotion title such as "permanent promotion"), then it would be fair?

As part of the "permanent promotion", MTT's get the jackpot matrix, cash games get happy hours - just need something for STT's and then I don't see how anybody could argue it is unfair.
  • edited November 2013
    That was exactly the point I was trying to make Peter. 

I think 9/10 promos will bring money back, so I don't think it would be a problem to have for example a cash happy hour 1-2, a sng happy hour 2-3 and a mtt happy hour 3-4.

Everyone will say that sngs on Sky aren't that popular but liquidity will increase only if a promo is going to be introduced. How will a player going to try to play a sng even if he/she is not tempted by a promo? Only out of curiosity but if you give him a small bonus he/she will try them much easier.
  • edited November 2013
    Sky should promote these sit and go formats more that what they do,when they did last month for 1 week it proved very successful, also when sky ran the poker leagues for all formats the sit and gos were booming, now
    there just slow filling up, I even deregged from one the other night coz it was taking over 40 mins to fill.Now we all know the most traffic goes through cash games and always will on every site(apart from hu cash on sky high levels)but if u want players to play sitandgoes then like any business u have to promote it like sky have in the past with good results.