You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20NL - Line Check

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Villian is a multi-tabling reg who generally plays very solid and straight forward.

Could 3bet pre but choose not to in this case. Villian has started minning the BTN recently, probably because they fold to 3bets lots so just making it cheaper to raise/fold when blind stealing.

Very unlikely villain has connected with the flop unless he has 22/33/44/55, 66 for a GS or he shares my GS with some Ax but most of these hands I can get to fold to further pressure on later streets. Obviously he has like all the 'standard' FD combos most people would raise the BTN with. Can have a few bigger OPs but think they can fold to pressure and I reckon with any really big OPs he'd just be unbalanced and raise them 3x pre

Turn should be bigger.

Can't v-bet river, can we bluff catch or do we just c/f?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tiggerma30 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £37.21
Lambert180 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £28.12
  Your hole cards
  • A

PhilAny2_Q Fold     
Goldtia Fold     
ThatsHim Fold     
Raise  £0.40 £0.70 £40.30
tiggerma30 Fold     
Lambert180 Call  £0.20 £0.90 £27.92
Flop

Lambert180 Check     
Bet  £0.60 £1.50 £39.70
Lambert180 Raise  £1.80 £3.30 £26.12
Call  £1.20 £4.50 £38.50
Turn

Lambert180 Bet  £2.40 £6.90 £23.72
Call  £2.40 £9.30 £36.10
River

• Q

Lambert180 Check     
Bet  £6.60 £15.90 £29.50
Lambert180 Call  £6.60 £22.50 £17.12

Comments

• edited November 2013
    agree turn should be a bit bigger....

this is my wuick breakdown how I see it. Not a cash player tho.

what would you say is the villains opening range?

Ax, K8+, Q8+, J8+, 22-AA, 45s-9Ts, 67-9T, 46s-t8s ??

from there, what would you say is his bet calling range on the flop?... btw, i think I also raise the flop bigger too OOP on a draw heavy board.

22-AA, Axd, Qxd, Jxd, 45, 56, 67d, 78d, 89d, 9td, 68d, 79d, t8d

on the turn, I dont think they are folding much since the bet doesn't price out many draw hands. but we would probably expect sets to raise at this point? (do you think for this player?)

now, on the river, you are left with alot of missed draws - I think I am check calling here.
  • edited November 2013
    Against someone solid/straightforward/reggy is this a leak choosing to play this hand OOP? I know it sounds kind of nitty but when you're multitabling this just seems like one of those troublesome spots you could avoid maybe?

This kind of action just looks he's more likely to have it - depends on if you have some reads on how he plays flush draws and whether he'll bluff when checked to in these situations. Obv some metagame going on as you're both regs.

Can you post the result later anyways dude? I'm guessing QdKd or maybe something as strong as Ad4d - this is tricky
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Lambert :) Grind cash elsewhere but play the odd tourney on here and read the forum quite abit.

To the hand; Pre can't fold A10 to a button min otherwise were folding way to much lol. Don't mind 3bet or call. Flop is fine. Turn bet slightly more for value against FD's or gutshot + overs. River I'm definitely calling as played. All the draws missed and a decent multi-tabling reg would never play a set like this imo.

Btw gl taking your shot at going pro.

• edited November 2013
    _________________ check all looks good
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL - Line Check:
    Against someone solid/straightforward/reggy is this a leak choosing to play this hand OOP? I know it sounds kind of nitty but when you're multitabling this just seems like one of those troublesome spots you could avoid maybe?
    Posted by TheMarkOfJ

About as far from a troublesome spot as possible :) If you're not defending AT to a button min raise you should just sit out permanently imo
  • edited November 2013
    Btw, call flop, call turn, call river.

As played call.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to 20NL - Line Check:
    Villian has started minning the BTN recently
    ?????

Villian has never raised any size but min on the button in the last million hands he has played you mean^^
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to 20NL - Line Check : ????? Villian has never raised any size but min on the button in the last million hands he has played you mean^^
    Posted by Toshiro
    Yep agree Toshy

-----------------------------------------------

And agree with pryce.
  • edited November 2013
    Very solid straight forward reg but he mins the button
    why?
    does he min every unopened pot?
    How wide is his range - important to understand the reason for unconventional plays in solid players
    And you still only have A high
    So wouldn't b/f be better than c/c on the river. Particularly as you said you hoped to fold out better hands on later streets but then checked the river. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to 20NL - Line Check : ????? Villian has never raised any size but min on the button in the last million hands he has played you mean^^
    Posted by Toshiro

Lol fair enough, maybe I'm going mad then, thought I'd seen you 3x'ing from all positions in the past, maybe I'm just not paying enough attention or confusing you with someone else. It wasn't a dig btw.

Villian is Tosh obv

• edited November 2013
    Very solid straight forward reg but he mins the button why? does he min every unopened pot? How wide is his range - important to understand the reason for unconventional plays in solid players And you still only have A high So wouldn't b/f be better than c/c on the river. Particularly as you said you hoped to fold out better hands on later streets but then checked the river. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Geldy I picked up TP on the turn. It became 2nd pr on the river like but didn't expect him to have many Qx hands by this stage, so I was either beat from the very start or am still ahead. That's kinda the issue, I'd have normally continued to barrel turn and river but as it's ran out I've now got a better hand than all his missed draws and can't get value by betting but could possibly get value by letting him bluff.

Minning from late position isn't that unconventional and as far as I know it becomes pretty standard with better players. Only in late position/BTN though
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL - Line Check : Lol fair enough, maybe I'm going mad then, thought I'd seen you 3x'ing from all positions in the past, maybe I'm just not paying enough attention or confusing you with someone else. It wasn't a dig btw. Villian is Tosh obv
    Posted by Lambert180
    I didn't take it as a dig :)

Its 3x from all positions except button where I always 2x it. 

I'll give some feedback since I'm actually posting instead of my normal lurking.

You played river perfectly, def most +ev is to check/call there.

Its probably a better idea to 3 bet that hand pre, peeling oop with such a strong hand that you will struggle to realise th equity from is wasteful.  The raise on flop is kinda meh...you have the best hand a lot of the time and you get me to fold my equity at least but you are turning your hand into a bluff.  Turn sizing as has been said is too small.  River already discussed.

• edited November 2013
    2x or 2.5x on the button is standard these days. Only hands that villain can really have on this river is Qxdd that have us beat. Think this is defo a call.

• edited November 2013
    Very solid straight forward reg but he mins the button why? does he min every unopened pot? How wide is his range - important to understand the reason for unconventional plays in solid players And you still only have A high So wouldn't b/f be better than c/c on the river. Particularly as you said you hoped to fold out better hands on later streets but then checked the river. 
    Posted by GELDY
    my bad - always a problem when typing on the phone - i did think - hmm - maybe he hit - but couldn't go back to check 
  • edited November 2013
    Am I missing something, I don't get why we can't bet river for value? It may/may not be the best line (haven't thought too much about it yet), but it's certainly a viable option..
  • edited November 2013
    What worse can call me Ivan? 99, KTdd?

Can't see how we can c/r, bet, bet on this run out and expect to get called by worse than 2nd pr top kicker
  • edited November 2013
    What worse can call me Ivan? 99, KTdd? Can't see how we can c/r, bet, bet on this run out and expect to get called by worse than 2nd pr top kicker
    Posted by Lambert180
    You have 10d...there is no missed flush draw combos that you beat that can call.
  • edited November 2013
    I'm really confused why we're taking this line pre-flop and on the flop.

We have a hand that figures to be best pre-flop so we call to see a flop. Then we miss (gut-shot aside) and we check-raise. Why? If we're going to do that, why not 3-bet pre-flop before we have a chance to miss the flop?

When our check-raise is called, we're likely to have very little equity and we're just hoping the villain isn't going to call down against a hand that should rarely ever be anything better than a semi-bluff. If we have a set, are we check-raising on a board that is so likely to miss the button's range? Are we check-raising 88? It's really not that wet a board.

I think it's a pretty bad spot to be check-raising and I'm really not sure of the logic of it. Alright, we might steal some of the villain's equity if he folds his QJ, K9 or whatever.

The justification for value betting the river would be that the villain could be bluff-catching with his 66-99 or could have floated our flop raise with some random JT type hand, just because our line is so unconvincing he thinks he can take it down on later streets. On the other hand, there are more 89 type hands in those floats which we want to bluff.

The trouble with check-calling is that we only exploit his non Qx missed draws and only then if the villain doesn't think our check on the river is just to let him bet. Presumably the nut-flush draw may 3-bet the flop, anyway.

On the whole, I'd think betting the river is marginally best (assuming the villain is good enough to see our check as what it is and so choose not to bluff, even just a small proportion of the time)... I think there needs to be more justification of what we're thinking when we check-raise this flop, though. It's not enough just to think about the range of the villain, we need to consider the range we're repping. I think we only rep semi-bluffs.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL - Line Check : You have 10d...there is no missed flush draw combos that you beat that can call.
    Posted by Toshiro
    Oh yea missed my Td lol, but yeah that's my point to Ivan, there are zero worse hands that can call so don't see how he can suggest betting for value.
  • edited November 2013
    What worse can call me Ivan? 99, KTdd? Can't see how we can c/r, bet, bet on this run out and expect to get called by worse than 2nd pr top kicker
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'm confused what you mean by "this run out" - I'm assuming turn bet was for value; if so, what has changed on the river? Unless villain was chasing a flush draw and hit a Q OTR then we should still be ahead if we were ahead on the turn.
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah I do think I'm still ahead, that's why I check/called, but you know yourself just thinking your ahead isn't reason enough to bet. If you think you're ahead but can't get called by any of the worse hands you're beating then why would you bet.

He does still have some hands in his range that are beating me and they'll call, but all the ones I beat will fold to another bet where they might have bluffed given the opportunity.
  • edited November 2013
    3b pre > call

Surprised your questionning the call otr! Call all day long

Prefer c/c on river Ivan. If we bet were effectively turning our hand into a bluff vs multi tabling reg. If it was a loose rec who's just gonna station with 66 then maybe. Still prefer c/c tho given every draw bricked. 
  • edited November 2013
    call pre vs btn open is gonna be better then 3betting.. why do people want to fold out so much of the range you dominate?

flop is meh... turn/river standard call downs
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah I'm not saying I think betting is better than c/c - just that I think there should still be value in betting. And if there isn't value in betting then maybe we can be bluffing somewhat more often in this spot.
  • edited November 2013
    As Pryce has said I much prefer a line of call, call, call if we haven't 3b pre.  Probably is a sometimes defend/sometimes 3b spot pre, leaning slightly more to the defend.  Never folding pre.

As played up to the river after taking this line I am defo betting the river for value.  And if I have checked I am calling to answer your question.
  • edited November 2013
    i dont understand the raise on the flop call and float ya in pos  

whats the reason for raising the flop as played id call river
  • edited November 2013
    When we check-raise the flop, we only really rep draws.

By the river, all the draws have missed. We can bet for value against the villain's bluff catcher's or check and hope the villain has a draw himself - which is probably not Ace-high and we hope isn't Queen-high - and that he doesn't see right through us: If we have a draw, we're check-giving-up, so there's little point in the villain betting a weaker hand than our Ten. If we have a value hand we're checking to induce so, again, little point in the villain betting a weaker value hand than our Ten.

Betting the river sounds like the right option to me, as the hand was played. I still don't like the check-raise though. As I say, we're only repping semi-bluffs at best. Most of the time we're full of the brown stuff because this board makes it tough for our value raises to be called when we're holding sets, etc.

Of course, there could be some levelling going on that makes us think the villain will perceive this check-raise as strength because he knows that we know that he knows it smells funky...