You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beginner Omaha question

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Going to go through my thorugh process on the hand it worked this time i think it is correct but wouldnt mind a few  more opinions.

I call pre getting great odds on the minriase looking to set mine and see a dry board. It gets raised again not loving it but peel cos im a noob.

On the flop i miss my set but flop 2 pair if we can presume 3better has high pp somebody will be on a fd board is reasonbly dry otherwise our 2 pair may be good alot and we have house outs and blockers to sets so is the effective shove ok?

Feel free to slate im not sure what im doing on the moaha tables alot of the time.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancejams88Small blind £0.20£0.20£32.47frankyBig blind £0.20£0.40£18.07 Your hole cards323J   Pablo395Raise £0.40£0.80£25.73pigeon1001Call £0.40£1.20£23.21who_meCall £0.40£1.60£28.33jams88Call £0.20£1.80£32.27frankyRaise £1.20£3.00£16.87Pablo395Call £1.00£4.00£24.73pigeon1001Call £1.00£5.00£22.21who_meCall £1.00£6.00£27.33jams88Call £1.00£7.00£31.27Flop  6J2   jams88Check    frankyBet £3.50£10.50£13.37Pablo395Fold    pigeon1001Call £3.50£14.00£18.71who_meFold    jams88Raise £21.00£35.00£10.27frankyFold    pigeon1001Fold    jams88Muck    jams88Win £16.62 £26.89jams88Return £17.50£0.88£44.39

Comments

• edited November 2013

Nice and easy the advice on this hand.

Of your 6 possible starting hands you only have one realistic nut drawing combo. This makes this an incredibly weak holding. Also position is more important than anything and you are in the worst possible.

So when the action gets to you after a min rasie then you should fold. When it gets back to you after the 3-bet you should also fold. Calling these bets with that hand is just throwing away money.

A 2 pair holding is very weak post flop, even if it is top 2. You have top and bottom which is not great at all. Remember that you are thinking about house out for you, but remember that on that board an overpair has 5 outs to overtake you. Also the board is not as dry as you think because aprt from the fd there is also a possible wrap there as well with someone holding 345. Spotting potential wraps is an important part of the game when you are looking for outs for yourself or cards to avoid for others.

Your move on the flop is marginal at best. Any holding that can go with you on that board has you in a world of hurt. Luckily for you the result was as good as it could be and they all folded. But on the whole i think you made a lot of basic mistakes all the way through the hand.
  • edited November 2013
    Wouldn't pretend to be any sort of PLO expert but this is an easy fold pre-flop for me.

Calling looking to flop what will more than likely be bottom set not a good long term winning strategy IMHO.

The big raise on the flop shows some intestinal fortitude though and this will stand you in good stead playing this most swingy of variants.

Good luck

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Beginner Omaha question:
       Nice and easy the advice on this hand.   Of your 6 possible starting hands you only have one realistic nut drawing combo. This makes this an incredibly weak holding. Also position is more important than anything and you are in the worst possible.  So when the action gets to you after a min rasie then you should fold. When it gets back to you after the 3-bet you should also fold. Calling these bets with that hand is just throwing away money.  A 2 pair holding is very weak post flop, even if it is top 2. You have top and bottom which is not great at all. Remember that you are thinking about house out for you, but remember that on that board an overpair has 5 outs to overtake you. Also the board is not as dry as you think because aprt from the fd there is also a possible wrap there as well with someone holding 345. Spotting potential wraps is an important part of the game when you are looking for outs for yourself or cards to avoid for others.  Your move on the flop is marginal at best. Any holding that can go with you on that board has you in a world of hurt. Luckily for you the result was as good as it could be and they all folded. But on the whole i think you made a lot of basic mistakes all the way through the hand.
    Posted by Talon
    This bit dont get when its gets to me at the minraise stage its 20p more to win 1.80 so 9:1 surely this should be a peel with an starting hand? I presume your reasoning is that i don't have many nut making possibilites and will be oop? I'm starting to understand how much more improtant position is in this than holdem but i think the odds are to juicy to fold to the intial raise but this could just be me being new if i clock some mroe hands playing omaha in this may become apprent. Folding to the 3bet i can definatly see why this was bad i was erring on folding ingame and not really i fan of the call at the time. Quite happy to throw this away in the future.

As a point of intrest if we got into a similar situation (say we got there with a more conventional holding) we are oop in a 3bet pot and manage to flop 2pair if we presume the 1 villian we were against is 3betting high pp with straightening cards around the pair (is there an easier way of saying that?) would we be happy x/raising this kind of board in that situation

Grateful for you guys taking the time to write the replies thanks

James
  • edited November 2013

Firstly i obviously didnt emphasise enough how bad your hand was. You have one playable hand and it draws to bottom set or underhouses. These are hands that will cost you lots when you hit. Small pairs in your starting hand are lethal in omaha.They should be avoided unless you have other things alongside them.

Next. The 3-bet preflop. It all depends on the knowledge and abilities of the player. The better they are the less likely to be able to put them on just a big pp. 89TJ ds is a really good 3-betting hand. You should only be 3-betting big pp preflop when you have back up with it. Like AAKJ ds.

As far as a conventional holding is concerned the best thing to do is to limit yourself to only playing hands that have 3 or more nut drawing hands in them without having too many of your own outs in your hand.

2 pair is a weak holding and needs to be played with caution. Just because you have 2 pair does not preclude the possibilities of sets. I would play them fast if i had 2 pair and a draw but not the bare 2 pair
  • edited November 2013
    awfull hand easy fold pre   when u shove u only get called by better ya turning ya hand into a bluff   
  • edited November 2013
    one way to spot bad starting hands is when there is a card that doesn't play well with the other cards. in this case the Jd cannot make a pair, straight or flush with any of your other cards. the hand is a 3-legged dog. Those other 3 need to be really good to get you to play it. And yours aren't.

if it had been the Js it's not great, but at least it can make a flush with the 3s

ps this is particularly important for omaha hi-lo, but i find it's a helpful consideration for omaha as well

pps i'm very much a beginner at omaha so only take this as a possible helpful guideline from another newbie

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Beginner Omaha question:
    one way to spot bad starting hands is when there is a card that doesn't play well with the other cards. in this case the Jd cannot make a pair, straight or flush with any of your other cards. the hand is a 3-legged dog. Those other 3 need to be really good to get you to play it. And yours aren't. if it had been the Js it's not great, but at least it can make a flush with the 3s ps this is particularly important for omaha hi-lo, but i find it's a helpful consideration for omaha as well pps i'm very much a beginner at omaha so only take this as a possible helpful guideline from another newbie
    Posted by GELDY
     Very important point there about the "dangler". That is the name for a card that doesnt work with any other. Although at first glance they may seem unimportant the basic maths involved tell a different story.

Let us consider the hand  TJQK . We have hands of TJ TQ TK JQ JK and QK. All 6 hands are nut drawing. But when we put in a dangler for TJQ2 then we have TJ TQ and JQ giving us only 3. So 1 card that doesnt work with the others takes away half of our hands. This is why we should avoid any hand that has a dangler in it. Giving away half of our hands is never good. The simple rule to follow is quantity over quality of nut drawing hands. The more you have the more chance you have of hitting the board. A hand like AA92 rainbow may look pretty but with only the 1 nut drawing hand it is very weak and vulnerable.
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks guys, taking it onboard. Going to try and get a couple of 000s hands expirence next month if i can get some games going so we will see how quick i can pick it up