You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Notes

edited May 2014 in Poker Chat
Pretty much every regular of the community will say to a new player that they should be taking notes, and actually I do it all the time.

However, it got me thinking, what exactly should I be writing? Am I even taking notes correctly?

It would be interesting if you guys could post some examples of the notes you have taken on players (obviously without saying which player the note is referring to) as a guideline to the type of notes that should be taken. Could actually cause some friendly banter if people try and guess who the note is about! :p

Comments

• edited November 2013

"He is very aggressive in all the wrong places and likes to consistently three bet me pre-flop with nothing, as I think he gets off on it. He also triple-barrels almost any board, regardless of texture. He has little or no thought to what I may be holding and just tries to throw pot-sized bets all over the place to scare away the opposition. I usually let him do most of the betting for me, because he overvalues one and two pair hands, even on four-flushing, double-paired boards. He will often show up with rubbish hands like 4 8 offsuit or 3 9 (suited), and will only very occasionally have a picture card."

;)

• edited November 2013
    Style of play: loose aggressive, tight aggressive, loose passive, tight passive.
    Any tendencies you notice, or unusual hands... Things that will help you in a similar spot the next time

A good example of a note I took on a players tendancies that paid off was 'limps, then shoves very light over isolation raises'

I don't remember taking the note, but I had raised pretty big with A9s after he limped utg and a few more limped behind him. He shoved. Normally I would snap fold A9 vs a limp shove from utg, but this time I made the call - he had Q9. 

There are many more things that u can take note of, and in various levels of detail-  just take a note on Anything you notice that you think will be useful in the future...
  • edited November 2013

I get a load of stick for my notes :(

Will open 3 tables on a random BH and paste the notes here....

"called out bb, snap min c/r the flop, then shoved when I 4 bet the flop, sigh

^^ snap m/r = strength"

"15 hu Nov13' 1.25k games up 150
    0 roi 24 avg stake

pretty tight/passive/trappy"

"£3 dym, l/c A5o v don's KTo shove, 50/100

3 speed rb,l/c K7s @ 25/50. No agro
    LIMP ALL RANGE EVERY LEVEL
    200/400 still limps queens lol"

"5 velo, 400/800, 3x A7 from 8x instead of shoving wtf"

"******* /> why do i always get on a table with********

UKOPS TURBO MADE HIM SP ACK OFF TO ME
    l/c 67 @ 25/50"

^^^^^ Had to edit out the name in that one as it's just a quote from a chatbox that I copied into my notes.
    Also ******'s off a naughty word at the end.

"speed 100/200 peel 79o, checked 778 (obv) bet turn and river when he made a house, obv. sigh"

"600/1.2k BH ft, Nov 13' limp cutoff 11xbb"

"10 dym ****** ****, early double, and defended 4x at 25/50 w/A4s, 3x min bets w/ 2nd pair.

CLUELESS"

"Nov13' primo 3x/gii from 10xbb w/ 66 from utg.

wow, wtf!!

**** ******** lol"

Mixed bag! ha.

• edited November 2013

I just use one-word descriptions, & it works fine for me, plus i can now colour code each one.

I can grade them by varying the spelling.

"Good" means exactly that. 

"Gooood" is VERY good, Gooooood is Top Class.

Likewise, BAD is just that, whereas BADDDD is sort of Hippo ability, & BADDDDDDD is obvious.

• edited November 2013
    'limps premiums late' 'limp folds sub 20bb' 'tight/loose in bb'  Very valuable in a tourny
  • edited November 2013

I do my notes chewin the fat style

Good guy, good guy, w*nk, good guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UGD7AazMI

• edited November 2013
    One note I have on someone I play at cash:

'will call flop with nothing in pos. overbets river with nuts. has donk led two streets with nothing hu. reraised pre with kk then checked k high flop.'

Not exactly thorough but gives me a enough to go on.
  • edited November 2013
    Always wise not to jump to conclusions before making notes.
    Also update on a regular basis.

I still have notes on one of the biggest winners on the site from my early days here.
    "Hopeless aggro, have to call him down" ;)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Notes:
    Always wise not to jump to conclusions before making notes. Also update on a regular basis. I still have notes on one of the biggest winners on the site from my early days here. "Hopeless aggro, have to call him down" ;)
    Posted by Jac35
    Mattbates?

Has to be.
  • edited November 2013
    I Always make a note of the game type C= cash SAG etc folks may play different in other variations. If I know there real name I jot it down. Obv their play style Tight agro loose etc. Anything unusual they do in game gets noted ie limps with premium hands utg, 3 bets mid pocket pairs, raised 4X with AK in sb etc. Also make a note if they are friendly and are likely to engage in the chat box or not lol.
  • edited November 2013
    I just use it to keep a tally of how many times they've sucked out on me ;)

Lol nah I jest. Same as above really.

Always put the game type and BI of the game u took the note from, and as Doh keeps telling me, should put a date too but I usually dont have enough space.

Try to use shorthand, as long as you know what it means that's all that matters.

KHCRHB!!!!

Write down stuff that is actually useful to you and think about how you can use it to exploit them. For instance if someone is happy to call down 3 streets with 2nd or 3rd pair then you need to start value betting wider. If someone never folds to a 3bet ever, then 3bet them wider for value preferably IP etc etc.
  • edited November 2013
    glad they brought in colour coded notes as im lazy when it comes to notes so    red means cr ap yellow means gd etc
  • edited December 2013
    Hmmm, okay - you guys all seem to be making similar notes to me. Although, listing the type of game you're playing them in is something I had not previously thought about, will start doing that from now on :-)

I do my notes chewin the fat style Good guy, good guy, w*nk, good guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UGD7AazMI
    Posted by LARSON7
    Haha, that's very funny! :D
  • edited May 2014
    Bump for Nuggy ;o)
  • ommomm
    edited May 2014
    I always start my notes with what the mtt is , the blind level and position for example

26/2 DTD1 25/50 BTN v bb

The capitals indicate my position, and I will usually abrieviate, I like notes that are structured as I can usually write them quicker.

Good thread Peter.
  • edited May 2014
    I always start my notes with what the mtt is , the blind level and position for example 26/2 DTD1 25/50 BTN v bb The capitals indicate my position, and I will usually abrieviate, I like notes that are structured as I can usually write them quicker. Good thread Peter.
    Posted by omm

I first posted this thread in November last year and am now make considerably better notes that do genuinely help me when I meet the same person again.
  • edited May 2014
    Bump for Nuggy ;o)
    Posted by a00rock

Thanks fella

Very helpful and a funny link to go with :)
  • edited May 2014
    "He is very aggressive in all the wrong places and likes to consistently three bet me pre-flop with nothing, as I think he gets off on it. He also triple-barrels almost any board, regardless of texture. He has little or no thought to what I may be holding and just tries to throw pot-sized bets all over the place to scare away the opposition. I usually let him do most of the betting for me, because he overvalues one and two pair hands, even on four-flushing, double-paired boards. He will often show up with rubbish hands like 4 8 offsuit or 3 9 (suited), and will only very occasionally have a picture card." ;)
    Posted by Slipwater

Haha...you've been looking at my notes on you Slip!
  • edited May 2014
    I just use one-word descriptions, & it works fine for me, plus i can now colour code each one. I can grade them by varying the spelling. " Good " means exactly that.  " Gooood " is VERY good, Gooooood is Top Class. Likewise, BAD is just that, whereas BADDDD is sort of Hippo ability, & BADDDDDDD is obvious.       
    Posted by Tikay10
     Yes I know I'm BAAAAADDDDD, TEACAKES,
  • edited May 2014
    " maniac, drinks, sucks out .....beware!"
    Now who could that be? Begins with a T....I say no more!
  • edited May 2014
    i keep a excelsheet that lists some of the important hands.
    the notes i'll write down are based on their hand strength who is aggressive and who play deceptive, also those who play loose preflop where they likely to fold post flop.