You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What a cracking way to go..lovely turn and river!!!

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
chipper88 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £44.06
sikas Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £49.50
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

mrdavies Call  £0.50 £1.25 £44.09
shawsok Raise  £1.50 £2.75 £80.94
CHIVALINO Call  £1.50 £4.25 £23.14
chipper88 Fold     
sikas Fold     
mrdavies Raise  £4.00 £8.25 £40.09
shawsok Call  £3.00 £11.25 £77.94
CHIVALINO Call  £3.00 £14.25 £20.14
Flop

mrdavies Bet  £10.69 £24.94 £29.40
shawsok Fold     
CHIVALINO All-in  £20.14 £45.08 £0.00
mrdavies Call  £9.45 £54.53 £19.95
mrdavies Show
  • J
  • J

CHIVALINO Show

Turn

River

CHIVALINO Win Three 9s £52.73  £52.73

Comments

• edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    Sickening, but can't do much more than get it in good!

I had the same last week got it in on flop 69 versus 29, on a 69xboard, turn 2 river 2
  • edited November 2013
    Why do people make these calls though? I can pocket pairs over pairs, fd.. But come on.

I just can't understand it, just ranting at the mo cos it just happened!

But you set a plan in a hand it works perfectly and then that happens turn and river.

• edited November 2013
    No, it's not sickening or an absolute joke. 

It's called poker. These things happen sometimes.
  • edited November 2013
    Oh right okay, didn't realize that.
  • edited November 2013
    No idea why you are posting it in the clinic.

Are you looking for advice? Sympathy? Anything?

You got your money in with JJ vs 9 high. You want him to make this call (even though he didn't as he shipped his stack, albeit with little F/E), no point questioning his play when the only thing within our control is how we play our hand. 

If you played the above in a manner satisfactory for yourself (and I imagine you did), then there is no real point for this post.
  • edited November 2013
    FWIW, seen as it is the clinic....

Don't limp/3bet, in fact just don't limp full stop.
  • edited November 2013
    You've left villains name in... which you shouldn't really do either.

Having said that... knowing this villain as I played against them earlier this play is hardly surprising.
  • edited November 2013
    might be harsh but u have played it badly u gotta look at ya own play here u shiuldnt be limping in any game

raise dnt limp then raise why not just raise in 1st place
  • edited November 2013
    so can i just ask, if i make it £1.50 before the flop they both call which makes £3 of their money in the pot, by knowing my table and what type of players i have behind me i have limped expecting the raise i then re raise and therefore have managed to get £6 in pre and built the pot ready to commit the villan (as what happend) on any flop.?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What a cracking way to go..lovely turn and river!!!:
    Oh right okay, didn't realize that.
    Posted by mrdavies
    lol Mr Davies.

is your name actually Mr Davies, or are u named after a famous person or a character or something?

Don't think your play is that bad, it's just different.

Bet smaller on the flop though.
  • edited November 2013
    lol dohh, yeah i am christened Mr Davies!

Yeah I potted just to isolate villan, didnt wann ashow any weakness to shawsok.

Yea, honestly I cant see why people are adamant on this set procedure on how to play the game ie. dont EVER limp, I limped with AA on a crazy table twice recently and got 2 people all in pre with Junk now if i raise pre on a table like that i just get callers, who fold to C bets etcc or go 6 way and hate AA.

like I said there was a lot of table history going on I knew shawsok was going to be aggresive and that the villan was coming along regardless so i limp - raised!

If i make it £1.50 and C bet the villan folds i think, even though i lost the pot i got him to get all his money in because of the way i played it.
  • edited November 2013

People tell you not to limp because you previously gave no justification for it. Naturally, because we see far more limps with no clear intention, people assumed that may have been the case here.

Whether your limp-3-bet was a good idea is entirely specific to the villains. In a vacuum, you essentially over-rep your hand when limp-3-betting, so should expect to only get action from better hands or AK. If you knew that wasn't the case here, that's fine. You need to say so, though.

The size of the bet on the flop is probably not great because you make it pretty easy for the villains to play. They know they're either going with their hand or they're not. Generally, against the range your representing, you should again only expect to get action from hands that beat you. Once more, if you knew that wasn't the case here, then it's all fine. You did get action from a gut-shot, after all.

The idea of not wanting to show weakness to a particular villain is a bad one, though. If we make ourselves appear strong, then the villain is not going to bluff or continue with many weaker hands.