You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Multi Tabling or Moving Up Limits

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi All,

As the title reads really, which would you say is best.

Say for instance (not saying I have actually done it) that you managed to cash in 10 £5.50 DYM's on the bounce. 

Would you,
A) Think about multi tabling or
B) Move up a level to the £11 buy in's.

My preference would be to move up levels as this would be best for improvement of your game. Staying at the £5.50 level and multi tabling would mean becoming more robotic in your approach. I personally like to watch the play and try to get a read on the players which I feel would be harder if multi table.

Anyway, was just wondering what the consensus was from the forum..?

Gary.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Depends upon your £/ph winrate @ £11 buy ins vs your £/ph winrate @ £5 buy ins with more tables added.  So for this reason I am unable to vote.
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Gary

Id actually go with staying at the 5.50s for now.
    To get a realistic idea of whether you're beating the level.  I would suggest a sample of at least a 1000 games.
    I understand what you're saying about multitabling being robotic.  Dyms though by there very nature are robotic. 
    Just build up the number of tables you play gradually and you'll still be able to get reads and take notes on opponents. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Multi Tabling or Moving Up Limits:
    Hi All, As the title reads really, which would you say is best. Say for instance (not saying I have actually done it) that you managed to cash in 10 £5.50 DYM's on the bounce.  Would you, A) Think about multi tabling or B) Move up a level to the £11 buy in's. My preference would be to move up levels as this would be best for improvement of your game. Staying at the £5.50 level and multi tabling would mean becoming more robotic in your approach. I personally like to watch the play and try to get a read on the players which I feel would be harder if multi table. Anyway, was just wondering what the consensus was from the forum..? Gary.
    Posted by fishtales
    well you have cashed in 10 out of ur last 10 dyms accoriding to sharkscope, well played thats pretty good going but i would want to be beating them stakes more than 10 games b4 i moved up. do what your comfortable with though and if you have the bankroll to do it then move up or add more tables, entirely up to you.
  • edited November 2013
    DYM's aren't real poker ;)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Multi Tabling or Moving Up Limits:
    DYM's aren't real poker ;)
    Posted by Slykllist
    ;)  THEY ARE... every day when I'm watching my 55" TV, paid for by DYM's last year tells me so :)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Multi Tabling or Moving Up Limits : ;)  THEY ARE... every day when I'm watching my 55" TV, paid for by DYM's last year tells me so :)
    Posted by devonfish5
    Was waiting for you to reply to this :-)

Hope things are good with you?
  • edited November 2013
    I guess this would depend on if your game tails off any when multitabling. If you think you could move up to say 4 tables and not lose any of your edge, I would definitely do that. Why? Helps flatten out the variance and, if you're profitable, it makes a lot of sense to put in as much volume as you can! :)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Multi Tabling or Moving Up Limits : Was waiting for you to reply to this :-) Hope things are good with you?
    Posted by VespaPX
    ha ha.

i'm good mate. still playing 1c/2c u no where. b/r is $266.85 atm (deposited around $220 in total so up a few dollars...wish it was ' A few dollars more' ha ha.
    plan to move up to 2c/4c when I've got 100 buy-ins ($400). in no rush though :)

hope u r ok mate,
    best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited November 2013
    I would continue playing @ £5 level and gradually increase number of tables I play.
    from experience I would play no more than 9 tables.
    once my b/r was at 100 buy-ins for the next level, ie;£1100 then I would try the £11's.
    if it dropped below this amount i'd move down again.

why 100 buy-ins. simply for comfort. each game you lose would then only be 1% of your b/r
    almost any losing session would then not be a problem.

;)
    dev
  • edited November 2013
    I didn't vote for either of them......

Moving up levels or transitioning to multi-tabling should only be considered if we have an adequate bankroll.

A cash in 10 DYM's on the bounce @ £5.50 level could so easily become a 5 losses on the bounce at £11.00 level.

I would stick to the level i'm at until I had built up an adequate bankroll to cover downsings at the higher levels.

Best of Luck
  • edited November 2013

As with most things I guess the answer is 'it depends'.

Taking a contrary view to the above, looking at this as you playing poker purely for a bit of fun and challenge.

On that basis, if you are single tabling and win a handful of £5 DYMs back to back then take a shot and step up to £10 with some of the profit.

If you lose, step back to £5 ones and carry on with the rest of your profit (and step down to £3 ones, £2 ones etc if you hit a losing streak).

If you win then repeat the trick and when you win a few £10 DYM back to back step up another level.

If you have a really golden period you may win a few of the big ones (are £50 the biggest buy in?) and can withdraw a few quid to cover a new TV, holiday, whatever.

If you don't, at least you have a constant new challenge and a bit of fun with your money, with the knowledge that as long as you step back down the levels when your profit dwindles then you'll not lose anything you can't afford (potentially lose nothing if you can 'beat' a lower level and always rebuild your profit to try going up the levels again).

Just one other way of looking at things!

• edited November 2013
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Thank you all for the great input, it's all very much appreciated.

To therock573, was trying to keep that to myself ;), never heard about sharkscope until your post!

Jac35, you mention playing 1000 games before making a decision, unfortunately due to time I only get to play at most 2-3 games a night, so to play 1000 would take a long time, obviously multi tabling would reduce that time. However that kind of forces my hand on the question I raised in the first place.

Slykllist, was wondering if you cared to elaborate your reasons for saying DYM's are not real poker..?

I look at the DYM's as a kind of bread and butter to finance my entry to the MTT as I do like tournaments more than cash tables.

When you watch sky poker tv you see the same people reaching the final table of tournaments time and time again, my goal would be to become as good as these people and I feel unless I move up and start challenging myself that will never happen.

Plus I love the mental side of the game, trying to get reads on people to out wit them, which I am not sure you really get time to do when multi tabling. I have read the series of books by Dan Harrington (Harrington on Holdem) and am rereading them due to the amount of information to take in and they have been a great help.

Reading back thru this post checking the spelling, I see I have pretty much answered my own original question with the help and advice you have all provided.

You have all been very helpful taking the time to reply, so thank you all for the advice and good luck and the tables.

Gary.
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Guys & Gals, Thank you all for the great input, it's all very much appreciated. To therock573, was trying to keep that to myself ;), never heard about sharkscope until your post! Jac35, you mention playing 1000 games before making a decision, unfortunately due to time I only get to play at most 2-3 games a night, so to play 1000 would take a long time, obviously multi tabling would reduce that time. However that kind of forces my hand on the question I raised in the first place. Slykllist, was wondering if you cared to elaborate your reasons for saying DYM's are not real poker..? I look at the DYM's as a kind of bread and butter to finance my entry to the MTT as I do like tournaments more than cash tables. When you watch sky poker tv you see the same people reaching the final table of tournaments time and time again, my goal would be to become as good as these people and I feel unless I move up and start challenging myself that will never happen. Plus I love the mental side of the game, trying to get reads on people to out wit them, which I am not sure you really get time to do when multi tabling. I have read the series of book by Dan Harrington (Harrington on Holdem) and am rereading them due to the amount of information to take it and they have been a great help. Reading back thru this post checking the spelling, I see I have pretty much answered my own original question with the help and advice you have all provided. You have all been very helpful taking the time to reply, so thank you all for the advice and good luck and the tables. Gary.
    Posted by fishtales
    well i shouldnt have mentioned it really cos its your business, it was pretty obvious that you had won 10 on the trot anyway without me checking.