You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Collective Community Cash Table Diary/Challenge - Discuss!

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

I have been chatting to a few of the folks in the office recently about how many tables we have open when multitabling. We also wondered what the average number was amongst our community players. This lead me to come up with the following questions for you, followed by an idea....

1) How many cash tables do you play at a time?
2) For the tournament players out there, do you ever mix the types or are you 'in tournament mode only'?
3) How do you think your game would change if you took your normal 'habit' and played one more table?

So, if you typically play 2 tables of cash, do you think your game would change any when playing a third? What would be the biggest challenges when pushing yourself to play another table? Do you think most people could do it quite simply (with a bit of practice/dedication?) or is it just for a certain type of poker player?

The idea would be to have a December diary with everyone who played an additional table throughout the month detailing how it went. You'd ask for advice from fellow players who are doing it, perhaps help others understand how you adapt - or don't! - and also be able to brag if it added something to your profit for the month. 

If enough people were up for the challenge I'll arrange for some prizes to be awarded however we see fit. I am thinking something like 'most helpful post', 'biggest turn-around/improvement', etc. 

Lots of talking points there, but let me know what you think!

Comments

• edited November 2013
    there is no 0 option :)

I dont play cash, so the number of tables is dictated by how many MTTs I am still in, and when the new ones are starting. I just register for everything I want to play at the start of a session and just cope with how ever many tables that leads to. normally 6-9, but sometimes as much as 12.
  • edited November 2013
    When playing cash can play between 6-12 tables fairly comfortably. With MTTs 6tables is about my max before I start losing track of the flow of things and how opponents are playing (with cash I generally already know how everyone is playing). If I'm playing cash between like 6-8 tables, then I can cope with 1-2 MTTs on the side.

I always mix the types of tournies I play tho, not through a conscious decision, just play all the 'good ones' and there aren't that many and they aint all the same, so often play deepstacks, turbos, rebuys, satellites at the same time, and sometimes even flick in a HU SnG on the side lol.

I'd be up for the challenge, December for me is gonna be all about playing MTTs (no cash) and I would like to be able to play more than 6 at a time just cos getting in the volume is so important in MTTs. 
  • edited November 2013
    As ChicknMelt says there is no 0 option.

So i'll just throw this in there as a SnG (occ MTT) player.

Just a bit of advice really , don't mix Holdem, Omaha & PLO8 at the same time !
  • edited November 2013

0, never play cash.

Tournaments; 3 is usually my max. Recreational player.

• edited November 2013
    I don't play cash, usually only DYMs or the occasional MTT.

Used to play 2 tables on the old software, can't manage more than one under the new.
  • edited November 2013
    I've set my mind on 4 tables being optimal. I feel just a teeny bit rushed sometimes when playing more. I'm only a recreational player at the moment, so it's not as though I need to maximise my hourly rate. I like to think I'm more fun to play against than most of the mutli-table grinders, too, and not just because I'm usually generous in my donations.
  • edited November 2013
    4 tends to be the most I do these days, although 2 is more frequent at the moment.

During the rake race thing back in January I did play 8 (and briefly 9-10) but it frankly drained the fun out of the game, particularly as you have to be in mini view and lose any chat (ie trying to wind up any angry trolls that appear). On top of that I felt no choice but to play super tight (even folded KK pre on occasion) as I just ended up timing out of pots if I was raising pots on more than 2 tables at a time.

I think the other thing I lose, as a novice, is missing how my opponents are playing. I'm terrible at spotting things and taking notes when playing two tables, when it gets more than that I'm making awful player-specific plays that must lose me loads.

Should be an interesting experiment though, I'm sure the community will kick out some of the usual great advice to help each others game.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Collective Community Cash Table Diary/Challenge - Discuss!:
    As ChicknMelt says there is no 0 option. So i'll just throw this in there as a SnG (occ MTT) player. Just a bit of advice really , don't mix Holdem, Omaha & PLO8 at the same time !
    Posted by VespaPX
    +1 it gets messy