You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Leaving a DYM politely

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Anyone have advice on correct poker etiquette please?  I've been playing in the pot limit omaha DYM's and when reaching the last three I'm happy just to leave it at that (work our way to All In).  I've come across quite a few players wanting to finish the game properly so a game that's effectively already won is going on forever.  

So, what's the correct etiquette ...... can I just politely exit & still collect or do I have to continue playing to the end? 

Comments

• edited December 2009
    You certainly don't have to continue playing if you don't want to.
    I suspect that many people are keen to carry on playing to practice their Omaha skills which is their right.
    However, you paid your own entry fee and you can also do absolutely what you like.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Leaving a DYM politely:
    Anyone have advice on correct poker etiquette please?  I've been playing in the pot limit omaha DYM's and when reaching the last three I'm happy just to leave it at that (work our way to All In).  I've come across quite a few players wanting to finish the game properly so a game that's effectively already won is going on forever.   So, what's the correct etiquette ...... can I just politely exit & still collect or do I have to continue playing to the end? 
    Posted by Spartan3
    Hi

At the end of the day, its ur money, its up to u :)
  • edited December 2009

Other sites have a "leave tourney option" when you have made the cash/entry.... even though im not a DYM player i think this is a good option espeically in massive satelite fields... saves a bit of time... maybe sky could look into introducing this??

• edited December 2009

Thanks guys, that's great

• edited December 2009
    just shove every hand, quickest way to end it... eventually they will 'play ball'
  • edited December 2009
    Its entirely upto you what to do as you paid your fee :)

Most people shove everyhand once the money is reached but some hang back for the League points [top 2] -

Personally im a shover
  • edited December 2009
    well said,i like a good shover
  • edited December 2009
    I think the correct way is to just go all in and everyone call, Who cares who wins? It's the same principle as a satelite when the people left have all made it, Just get the chips in and get it over.

The people I play with on another site mostly feel the same because you will see one all-in after another once they've made it. It's the only time i don't want my hand to win
  • edited December 2009
    The DYM's should really end when the cash is hit.  I all in every hand no matter what.  I know there are extra league points but to be honest I just want to move on to the next game.
  • edited December 2009
    I just ask people to call me, and type my hands into the chat box, once they see I tell the truth once they soon call :)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Leaving a DYM politely:
    The DYM's should really end when the cash is hit.  I all in every hand no matter what.  I know there are extra league points but to be honest I just want to move on to the next game.
    Posted by TommyD
    If you just want to move on to the next game, leave the table.
    You are under no obligation to play ANY hands once you have cashed.
  • edited December 2009
    I tend to like the points, either 1st or 2nd, not too fussed.

I tend to fold virtually every hand after the bubble until one of the other 2 has gone, then I type in 'happy to be second, got my points, i'm all in now'.

People who know me, I dont need to do even that, as they know how I think.

Generally, after the bubble, it only lasts a few more hands anyway.
  • edited December 2009

I prefer to finish first or second for the league points.

I also find that where people dont just shove it can be good practice playing a shorthanded table. 

However as many have said we all make our own choices.

• edited December 2009
    I know that a lot of players like to just finish the game once they have cashed, but other players do like to continue until the end of the game.

I continue playing for two reasons.
    I like to get the league points, even though I know that I will never win the league.
    Secondly, I like to practice my heads-up skills without having to play a dedicated heads-up game.

Some players want to play as many games as they can to keep cashing in the DYM games.
    Others like myself only play a few games a day and like to make the most of the games we do play.

I have no objection to players who just want to 'shove' every hand but please consider other players if they do not respond to your 'shoves'
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Leaving a DYM politely : If you just want to move on to the next game, leave the table. You are under no obligation to play ANY hands once you have cashed.
    Posted by MereNovice
    To me it is very annoying when a player ups and leaves as it takes an age to whittle down their blinds.

I understand any player can do what they like but as far as etiquette is concerned the leaving players aint got none, just shove if your not interested.

Mike
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Leaving a DYM politely : To me it is very annoying when a player ups and leaves as it takes an age to whittle down their blinds. I understand any player can do what they like but as far as etiquette is concerned the leaving players aint got none, just shove if your not interested. Mike
    Posted by torryboy
    Your games must get to the cashing positions early if it takes an age to "whittle down their blinds". The big blind is almost always at least 400 at this stage and it really takes no time at all to win a game against an opponent who has sat out if that is your aim.
    People who leave the table having cashed are absolutely entitled to do so - there is no question of etiquette involved whatsoever.
  • edited December 2009
    When you are down to the last three its normally a shove fest but the occasional player just wont play ball and just sits there folding.

In this scenario, i will often type in the chat box, "im all in every time its over"

If this has no effect, i will just shut the game down and move on.

Im a shover, but if they want to play for league points, so be it they can do it without me.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Leaving a DYM politely : Your games must get to the cashing positions early if it takes an age to "whittle down their blinds". The big blind is almost always at least 400 at this stage and it really takes no time at all to win a game against an opponent who has sat out if that is your aim. People who leave the table having cashed are absolutely entitled to do so - there is no question of etiquette involved whatsoever.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Your opinion i guess, do what you want m8, wont change my mind on the etiquette part but everyone to their own