You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dilemma

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi to anyone who will be kind enough to offer advice to my dilemma.i suffered an undiagnosed perforated ulcer 5 years ago and was in hospital for about a month in recovery after the op, and had about 10 weeks off work which was a huge thing to me and my family as I had always worked through any man flu etc;)I since have very little faith in doctors as I am a bit of a sceptic  in general,and have the opinion rightly or wrongly that the majority of doctors are reps for drug companies. Don't get me wrong, I consider the medical profession hugely understaffed and in the main do a fine job under the circumstances of being under the control of management who are target driven by bean counters.(remember it's just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong sometimes) I have been recently suffering similar pains in my stomach and reflux which I have not had for years, I see my options as a- suffer in silence and take paracetamol hoping it's just a bug or summat.b- swallow my pride and go to the docs who will either tell me to drink more water and less coffee and give me gaviscon(his original advice before the perforated ulcer) c - take the wife's ranitidine type medicine . D- do nowt and live on the edge :) any advice/opinion welcomed.The original ulcer was caused by helica bacteria(I think that's the name) 

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Dilemma:
    Hi to anyone who will be kind enough to offer advice to my dilemma.i suffered an undiagnosed perforated ulcer 5 years ago and was in hospital for about a month in recovery after the op, and had about 10 weeks off work which was a huge thing to me and my family as I had always worked through any man flu etc;)I since have very little faith in doctors as I am a bit of a sceptic  in general,and have the opinion rightly or wrongly that the majority of doctors are reps for drug companies. Don't get me wrong, I consider the medical profession hugely understaffed and in the main do a fine job under the circumstances of being under the control of management who are target driven by bean counters.(remember it's just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong sometimes) I have been recently suffering similar pains in my stomach and reflux which I have not had for years, I see my options as a- suffer in silence and take paracetamol hoping it's just a bug or summat.b- swallow my pride and go to the docs who will either tell me to drink more water and less coffee and give me gaviscon(his original advice before the perforated ulcer) c - take the wife's ranitidine type medicine . D- do nowt and live on the edge :) any advice/opinion welcomed.The original ulcer was caused by helica bacteria(I think that's the name) 
    Posted by tomgoodun
    im no doctor but my dad had a stomach ulcer and hes on medication every day now , get back the the hospital and get checked over to find out what the crack is, nothing in life is more important than you're health. all the best.
  • edited November 2013
    Tom you really have to ask this on a poker forum of all places? But wherever you ask it people will say GO GET IT CHECKED OUT.
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah swallow your pride and go to the doctors. If you're not happy with your gp then just go to the hospital. All the best mate and see you in a deepstack in the near future no doubt :)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Dilemma:
    Tom you really have to ask this on a poker forum of all places? But wherever you ask it people will say GO GET IT CHECKED OUT.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Thanks for your kind words
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Dilemma : im no doctor but my dad had a stomach ulcer and hes on medication every day now , get back the the hospital and get checked over to find out what the crack is, nothing in life is more important than you're health. all the best.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Thanks for the advice. I think it best to get it checked out.I just wanted to see how others would act as I am so stubborn and my wife will testify just a little paranoid,Sorry to all who think I should just post about poker related topics but having read some posts and advice I have seen a lot of really kind people on here.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Dilemma : Thanks for the advice. I think it best to get it checked out.I just wanted to see how others would act as I am so stubborn and my wife will testify just a little paranoid,Sorry to all who think I should just post about poker related topics but having read some posts and advice I have seen a lot of really kind people on here.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Hi Tom
    I don't think it's so much that we just think it should be all about poker. Just that we're probably not the best people to help you. I think you know yourself that getting things checked out is always the best approach.
    Really hope everything works out fine for you.
  • edited November 2013
    Tom, get to see a doctor! I hope you're ok.

• edited November 2013
    Yeah swallow your pride and go to the doctors. If you're not happy with your gp then just go to the hospital. All the best mate and see you in a deepstack in the near future no doubt :)
    Posted by waller02
    Thanks mate. hope to see you soon and have you take pity on mi shortstack :)
  • edited November 2013
    hi tom there is nothing worse than male  pride  mate many years ago i suffered with my tummy lots went docs lots they didnt do that much gave me tabs that put things off still on the odd occasions i had pain like u i took  pain killers but that just masks whats wrong  doctors never sent  me too a main hospital until there was more problems than a bad tummy it got too the point i was sick every day  none stop for  2 years nearly cudnt hold food down anti sick pills stopped working and had injections for it too all i  cud eat was hlf a pack of  8p noodles if i was lucky then i went on baby food not long after that gone from 13 half stone too  8 stone bag of bones   finaly docs sent  me for all sorts of test  after one of my friends  phoned them every day i got a slot for an op but they wanted me too wait 1  year coz the list was so long my body failin too cope with stress of illness caused more an more problems for me but for friends and family  pushin docs too move things forwards i wudnt be here now so it worked i got an op christmas eve  a few years  bk now and im back too health  and 12 half stone now

dont let them fob you off tom  theres nothing more than the need  too live
  • edited November 2013
    Tom apologies if I worded that badly. It wasn't meant to sound critical of you for asking on here, just seemed rather odd to me. But please do go and get it checked. All the best.
  • edited November 2013
    hi tom i too had an ulcer a few years ago caused by helica bacta pylori. doctor put me on course of antibiotics for 2 weeks did the job never been bothered since.if u not had antibiotics worth asking your doc about this
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Tom.

GL with this and hope that you receive good news.

• edited December 2013
    hi tom there is nothing worse than male  pride  mate many years ago i suffered with my tummy lots went docs lots they didnt do that much gave me tabs that put things off still on the odd occasions i had pain like u i took  pain killers but that just masks whats wrong  doctors never sent  me too a main hospital until there was more problems than a bad tummy it got too the point i was sick every day  none stop for  2 years nearly cudnt hold food down anti sick pills stopped working and had injections for it too all i  cud eat was hlf a pack of  8p noodles if i was lucky then i went on baby food not long after that gone from 13 half stone too  8 stone bag of bones   finaly docs sent  me for all sorts of test  after one of my friends  phoned them every day i got a slot for an op but they wanted me too wait 1  year coz the list was so long my body failin too cope with stress of illness caused more an more problems for me but for friends and family  pushin docs too move things forwards i wudnt be here now so it worked i got an op christmas eve  a few years  bk now and im back too health  and 12 half stone now dont let them fob you off tom  theres nothing more than the need  too live
    Posted by vegasman
    Hi vegasman really sorry to hear of your awful time,it puts things in perspective for me. Glad to hear that you came through ok .

• edited December 2013
    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Helicobacter-Pylori-and-Stomach-Pain.htm check the link above
    Posted by CATCH-22
    Hi Catch
    Thanks for this,I had looked through it after I had recovered,to be honest I am a little wary of looking up medical things as I tend to have the symptoms of the Black Death or rabies when in reality it's man flu:) also I got rather miffed on further investigation it says under no circumstances give the patient an x ray,of course that is exactly what they did to me after I had been given the most pain relief they could give me and I was still doubled up in agony in a and e. On a positive note I did receive good treatment when they realised what the problem was the next day in theatre after they said they were going to just put a camera in my innards.
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Tom. GL with this and hope that you receive good news.
    Posted by scotty77
    Hi Ryan
    Thanks for your good luck message,I (my wife) has made an appt. at docs this coming Tuesday.Apparently they may need a stool sample,it's a good job I am in the joinery trade as I suppose I could knock one up if I feel up to it,I wonder if they need 3legs or 4 on said stool, I suppose a dining chair would be ok as an alternative as I'm guessing they just need it to check my posture when sitting down,dunno if it will fit in the car though.