You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A bridge players view on Sky Poker

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
I must say I like playing the six max tourneys they have on Sky Poker. You can play a wider range of hands and also watch the tourney you are playing in on the Sky Poker channel. Most people seem to be recreational players and Only UK players are allowed and you get a £10 voucher for joining! The blind structures are good and there are no anties so you always get a lot of play for your money. People are friendly but there is a %10 tourney fee with only a %1 reduction if you play £100 worth of games per month.
This post was removed by Sky Poker I wonder if they will do the same when they see their site advertised on
www.bridgewebs.com/dereksanders :)

Comments

• edited November 2013
    lol that's good to know about sky poker!

Welcome to the fourms and community, it's a decent wee place
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: A bridge players view on Sky Poker:
    lol that's good to know about sky poker!
    Posted by LARSON7
    Probably done by somebody who did not realise that Bridge is a hugely popular card game played by many people who would enjoy playing poker too :)
    The one thing I would say is that good Poker players are invariably good at Bridge too!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: A bridge players view on Sky Poker : Probably done by somebody who did not realise that Bridge is a hugely popular card game played by many people who would enjoy playing poker too :) The one thing I would say is that good Poker players are invariably good at Bridge too!
    Posted by Deek10
    It's a bridge to far for me Deek, i have never played it, have watched peope play, and it looks like a game you have to think about..
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: A bridge players view on Sky Poker : Probably done by somebody who did not realise that Bridge is a hugely popular card game played by many people who would enjoy playing poker too :) The one thing I would say is that good Poker players are invariably good at Bridge too!
    Posted by Deek10
    Unfortunately, Derek, the converse is also only too true. I thoroughly enjoy both games and am equally as hopeless at both.......ah well we battle on.
    In the meanwhile, welcome to the sky forums.

David  
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A bridge players view on Sky Poker : Unfortunately, Derek, the converse is also only too true. I thoroughly enjoy both games and am equally as hopeless at both.......ah well we battle on. In the meanwhile, welcome to the sky forums. David  
    Posted by pilgrim07
    Thanks for your kind reply. Just made the Scottish bridge team for the Home international series so we 
    will play the first of two weekends in Wales. However the selectors can replace us for the 2nd weekend in Manchester
    You can watch it on the BBO website live on the 2nd weekend in Jan.
    Cheers Derek
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A bridge players view on Sky Poker : Thanks for your kind reply. Just made the Scottish bridge team for the Home international series so we  will play the first of two weekends in Wales. However the selectors can replace us for the 2nd weekend in Manchester You can watch it on the BBO website live on the 2nd weekend in Jan. Cheers Derek
    Posted by Deek10
  • edited December 2013
    Hey Deek. Does bridge require a similar skill set to poker? Or is it a completely different kettle of fish? I haven't played bridge since I was a schoolboy.

Obviously they are both card games with a skill element. I just wondered if you think the best bridge players would also make good poker players. I might be completely wrong, but I'm assuming there's not much money to be made in bridge, I see it as a social game, not a means of gambling.
  • edited December 2013
    Hey Deek. Does bridge require a similar skill set to poker? Or is it a completely different kettle of fish? I haven't played bridge since I was a schoolboy. Obviously they are both card games with a skill element. I just wondered if you think the best bridge players would also make good poker players. I might be completely wrong, but I'm assuming there's not much money to be made in bridge, I see it as a social game, not a means of gambling.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

Hi Gary,
    You are right not much money in Bridge unless you are paid by rich partners. I would also say most good Bridge players are fairly ordinary poker players because they are too risk averse.
    Not me though happy to 3 and 4 bet:)
    Cheers Derek

• edited December 2013
    Yes welcome to the forum Derek. I'm a bit confused about the point of your post though. Sorry if it sounds mean but you've told us everything we already know about sky. I presume your here to plug your website which is maybe why sky removed it last time. Anyhow good luck at the tables.

• edited December 2013
    Ah yes I remember playing Bridge, actually think I was about 8 when my dad first taught me how to play... he was a county master which in those days meant he was very good....... few problem with bridge players, first they are generally all over 70, second they have to analyse everything down to the last detail about who did what and why, third there's so many damn "conventions", granny asks "do you play a 5 card major with a minimum points .... yawn yawn after 5 pints i'll play anyway you want dear...

Pokers much better, you play with two cards in your hand not 13, your not surrounded by geriatrics liable to pass away any second and when granny says she thinks you played that all wrong you can tell her you don't give a **** and carry on drinking you pint...... in bridge its just not etiquette to bring your pint to the table

I chose poker over bridge every time...

hope you enjoy your poker Derek, i'll leave it to you to explain what conventions are m8ty:)