You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this an insta call?

OK here's the set up.  Its a very tight bubble of a £22 DYM.  No lary shoving or aggressive plays.  I'm in the BB with AK. Is this call automatic or would you like to have ur chips in first on the bubble? I dont think its copied properly but all 4 of us have very similar stacks.

2390btSmall blind 100.00100.001985.00phil12ukBig blind 200.00300.002720.00 Your hole cardsAK   Spew2MeFold    manny49All-in 2885.003185.000.002390btFold  

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I think AK might actually play better vs a tight btn shipping range vs a loose one, as you'll probably be dominating more. On the flip side, if they are tight, they will be folding wider to your shoves, so you can open your shoving range up.

Idk, seems close ot me, but i'm by no means well learned on DYM's
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Is this an insta call?:
    OK here's the set up.  Its a very tight bubble of a £22 DYM.  No lary shoving or aggressive plays.  I'm in the BB with AK. Is this call automatic or would you like to have ur chips in first on the bubble? I dont think its copied properly but all 4 of us have very similar stacks. 2390bt Small blind   100.00 100.00 1985.00 phil12uk Big blind   200.00 300.00 2720.00   Your hole cards A K       Spew2Me Fold         manny49 All-in   2885.00 3185.00 0.00 2390bt Fold    
    Posted by phil12uk
    I don't think it's an instant call in a dym sng in fact i don't think it is a call full stop. The aim is to stay out of trouble and get into the top 3. You have more than 10 big blinds and therefore there is no need to get involved. Yes, you may well have the best hand but I don't think it is a risk you need to take.

Speaking as someone who used to play nothing but sng's, there is nothing more important than getting your money in first. (gap concept) When i played them, i would rather shove with 45 than call with aj

In case you are looking at this and thinking this guy is mad. If i shove my opponent with 45 they would need a hand in the top 10-15% to call, which more often than not they wont have. Secondly if i get called by a hand like ak I'm still only 60-40 behind. Therefore on the few occasions i do get called (1 in 6) i'm still gonna win the hand 4 out of 10 times. It's a pos ev play.

P.S this doesn't mean you should start shoving with 45 in the first level of a sng, the above is aimed at the later stages of sng's when the blinds are atleast 100-200 and you have less than 10 bb
  • edited December 2009
    I just had one similiar, i had AK suited though.

Lad went all in 8k, folds to me and i insta call with 4k.

He shows K10 suited

Board 2 9 5 J Q.

Another runner runner against me :( Is always an insta call unless theres 3 or 4 callers.
  • edited December 2009
    we have 63% vs a tight-ish range.

So were saying at this point were better than 63% to cash. I could probably agree with that if they're playing tight and we start shipping lighter.

• edited December 2009
    I think insta call is a phrase used far far too often, even if you look at prime examples from famous poker players, like when Johnny Chan was playing heads up against Eric Seidel in the main event. He had Eric move in on him when he had the nut straight and he still double checked his hole cards before calling his opponent. I believe you always need to consider all the options before calling.

I have to agree with previous posts, i'd hate myself for it but i'd probably fold and wait for a spot where i could get my money in first and force them into a decision for their chips.
  • edited December 2009
    I can't see exactly how many BB's you have but if it's similar to the all-in player so 13-14 then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to call this. If your holding AA to QQ snap call as you are most likely far ahead, but with this your really hoping you have him outkicked which might not be the case. Then it might be a coin flip which is too risky with such a comfortable stack, finally you could be 60-40 fave but still your hoping. If you have around 5-6 BB's then yes snap call but not with more than 10.
  • edited December 2009
    I dont think its an instant call - I always prefer to be the raiser with AK. If stacks are similar with 4 players left in a DYM likelyhood is you are up against a small to medium pair and a player who does not want to be called.

However this situation depends on the previous on the table - if he has been playing loose I'm calling but if he has been tight I would let it go.
  • edited December 2009

In genaral i'd say its a fold.

The whole concept of sit and goes is (ICM).
    First of all when calling you need to know if you,re getting a +EV or -EV.
    If calling is commiting more then 10 bb's in any icm calculator it is advised against.
    If the person shoving holds a pocket pair they're roughly a 54% favourite.

So the 2 factors that need adressing are how many blinds did you have and
    what kind of opponent was shoving.

If he shoves with 33% of his hands you're getting slight +EV to call witch means in the long run
    if you make the call against that hand range you're gonna make money.

But personally from what you say i'd say it's a fold.

• edited December 2009
    One of those beautiful hands that when you think about it you should really fold but when you play it you end up calling.  The call is ok but you're accepting a race more often than not, or he may have two live cards and you're not a huge favourite.

In answer to your initial question, it's not an insta call.  when we hit the bubble on DYM I think's it's so important to be the raiser rather than the caller, you get so much more to be folded than usual if the stacks are close.  I just favour the fold but I'm sure I've made that call in the past and will probably do so again.