You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky, how come 15% rake for some of your Bounty Hunters?

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Just wondered why Sky charge a 15% rake for the Speed BH, £2 & £5BH but charging the standard 10% for the £3 BH and the £10+ BH.

I know you're not forcing anyone to play the 15% raked games, but perhaps an explanation to the justification of those BH being charged 15% compared to some other BH or Freezeouts of the same buy-ins would be nice.

I really don't get why charge 10% for the £3 BH but 15% for the £2 & £5...

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hey DoubleAAA,

Fair question, that. To be honest, they *should* all be at 15% when under ~£5. Some worked their way into the schedule with a 10% rate and the view here is that to increase those up to 15% would be a bit harsh so they'll be kept as is. 

Basically, they're cheaper than they ought to be!

Hope that helps.

Dave
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky, how come 15% rake for some of your Bounty Hunters?:
    Hey DoubleAAA, Fair question, that. To be honest, they *should* all be at 15% when under ~£5. Some worked their way into the schedule with a 10% rate and the view here is that to increase those up to 15% would be a bit harsh so they'll be kept as is.  Basically, they're cheaper than they ought to be! Hope that helps. Dave
    Posted by Sky_Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.  So are you saying that even the £5 and below Mtts should be 15% rake but you've left them how they are?
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky, how come 15% rake for some of your Bounty Hunters? : Thanks for the reply Dave.  So are you saying that even the £5 and below Mtts should be 15% rake but you've left them how they are?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Not all MTTs, only the BHs which are £5ish and below should have been 15%. :)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky, how come 15% rake for some of your Bounty Hunters? : Not all MTTs, only the BHs which are £5ish and below should have been 15%. :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave

So why are these BHs targeted at 15% rake?  What makes them different to normal freezeouts?  The only difference I see is the prize pool is split 50/50, surely that does not give justification to rake an extra 5%?
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky, how come 15% rake for some of your Bounty Hunters? : So why are these BHs targeted at 15% rake?  What makes them different to normal freezeouts?  The only difference I see is the prize pool is split 50/50, surely that does not give justification to rake an extra 5%?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Some like myself wont play them for that reason but they seem popular with others.
  • edited December 2013
    I dont/ wont play them because of that too. i dont care if they are "good value" - 15% just seems too much.
  • edited December 2013
    Just seems no justification to charge 15%.  Was hoping for an explanation from Sky as to why they feel that charging their customers 15% is perfectly fine, whilst charging 10% for Mtts.
  • edited December 2013
    A lot of the more experienced players won't play them because of the 15% rake. That's what, an extra 25p? If that stops a lot of people that know what they're doing playing them, that's good for me. It's all about finding the weaker fields. :-) Sometimes in poker you have to think outside of the box...
  • edited December 2013
    15% rake for an mtt that can attract less than 75 runners is horrific value imo. Given half the prizepool is split between bounties and the places, it really can knock your return on investment even if you are a winning player. 

I came to the conclusion that the speed bounty hunters are a waste of time a few months ago purely for this reason. 
  • edited December 2013
    I'd hazard a guess that the low stakes BH are some of the most popular MTT's on Sky in terms of numbers, so if they can squeeze out an extra 5% from everyone who buys in without compromising their popularity too much, then thats what they do.

I would like to know why Sky charges rake on the rebuy/add on in the Weds ME however... :)
  • edited December 2013
    A lot of the more experienced players won't play them because of the 15% rake. That's what, an extra 25p? If that stops a lot of people that know what they're doing playing them, that's good for me. It's all about finding the weaker fields. :-) Sometimes in poker you have to think outside of the box...
    Posted by FlashFlush
    +1

Yeah 15% rake sucks but if you're a decent player then imo there's no question that the £5.75 BHs are still MASSIVELY +EV despite the rake.

The daytime speed ones (I'm guessing those are the ones Gooner means) are pretty poor value but imo that's nothing to do with 5% extra rake, it's to do with the structure and the tiny field sizes they get which usually result in 1st prize being less than 10x the BI and it's not hard in such a small field to make FT or further without a single bounty.
  • edited December 2013
    I'd hazard a guess that the low stakes BH are some of the most popular MTT's on Sky in terms of numbers, so if they can squeeze out an extra 5% from everyone who buys in without compromising their popularity too much, then thats what they do. I would like to know why Sky charges rake on the rebuy/add on in the Weds ME however... :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Good point Harry, have wondered why they charge 10% for rebuys and add-ons!
  • edited December 2013
    The Mini BHs are only 10% rake and get 5/600 runners one even reached over 900 I would hazard a guess that if the £2/5 bhs had only 10% rake we would see as increase in average runners that would make up for the 5% loss. Just my opinion of course.