You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Super roller - River decision

edited December 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This is early in the super roller, villain is a winning MTT player on sky.

When i get raised on the river i really believe im behind to either a straight/set/better 2 pair. I almost called and i sort of wish i did now :(

So the question is - should i of raised the flop?, bet the turn?, check called the river? or should i just fold pre as im oop?

Jamie

Hand History #715894535 (20:16 01/12/2013)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance Small blind 20.0020.009090.00thomas87Big blind 40.0060.0010950.00 Your hole cards7A    Fold    VillainRaise 120.00180.0010120.00 Fold    DealerFold     Fold    thomas87Call 80.00260.0010870.00Flop  QA7   thomas87Check    VillainBet 160.00420.009960.00thomas87Call 160.00580.0010710.00Turn  5   thomas87Check    VillainCheck    River  J   thomas87Bet 320.00900.0010390.00VillainRaise 1480.002380.008480.00thomas87Fold    VillainMuck    VillainWin 1220.00 9700.00VillainReturn 1160.000.0010860.00

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Cannot see the stack sizes.  Taking it as 10k effective stacks, I'm c/c flop, leading turn, c/c river.  AQ,AJ,KT has got there, although more likely holding if no raise on the turn would be AJ AK as AQ would be raising the turn here.
  • edited December 2013
    Quite happy to c/c the river. If they are bluffing, let them fire again. If you are behind, it keeps the damage to a minimum. 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Super roller - River decision:
    Cannot see the stack sizes.  Taking it as 10k effective stacks, I'm c/c flop, leading turn, c/c river.  AQ,AJ,KT has got there, although more likely holding if no raise on the turn would be AJ AK as AQ would be raising the turn here.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    For some reason i cant post hands showing stacks, yeah stacks are 10k. I know its hard putting villain on exact hands but AJ, K10 are the only hands he could be doing this with, right?

Thanks for the reply
  • edited December 2013
    Quite happy to c/c the river. If they are bluffing, let them fire again. If you are behind, it keeps the damage to a minimum. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks for your reply

I might PM villain and ask him what he had lol
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Super roller - River decision : For some reason i cant post hands showing stacks, yeah stacks are 10k. I know its hard putting villain on exact hands but AJ, K10 are the only hands he could be doing this with, right? Thanks for the reply
    Posted by thomas87
    If villian has AJ,AQ,AK he's betting the turn so I think we can rule those hands out (was sleepy earlier and not thinking clearly).  Probably villian either has JJ,KT or it's a bluff to steal the pot (unlikely).  You should have really bet the turn.  I'm folding to his raise.
  • edited December 2013
    On the flop I am not calling. You have a vulnerable 2pr and you also want to get value from any better Ax hand and any stubborn Q or PP.

The line we take by c/c and both checking the turn we definatley have to value bet the river. What I would say is value bet bigger. If he does have a better two pair he is more likely to just call given the board. Any raise after a bigger bet is less likely to be a bluff so it becomes an easier fold. By betting small we are handing a player the chance to raise bluff and therefore giving us a very tough decision as a better two pair would do this to this bet also.

The bigger bet is also getting called by the same hands that you are beating such as weaker Ax hands and worse 2 pr hands like QJ and 75 and even KQ.
  • edited December 2013
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Really hh? Turn was checked through; there's no reason to think villain is going to take a b/c/b line as a bluff on this board. Leading river seems completely fine/best. I doubt you will see a bluff-raise here OTR so folding seems fne but might be exploitable.

Also I probably play more aggressive on an earlier street (either c/r flop or donk turn) vs most villains as I don't think avg villain will fire twice as a bluff or fire more all 3 streets with worse value hands.