You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tilting problem

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Try to take a break for 30 mins or so and try you're best to think of a badbeat that you have been on the right side of.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Right hi guys steves the names and I have a huge hole in my game, the dreaded tilting. question is how do people stop themselves, I end up losing a big pot then play like an idiot!
  • edited December 2013
    Mental game of poker is a decent read for dealing with tilt. Also good for motivating you to want to improve.

I used to tilt quite bad and didn't even realise I was doing it at times. The book just helped me recognise when I am tilting and then highlighted the pitfalls of tilting-knowing these two things was half the battle for me! I still do tilt but can recognise it quicker and I'm far far better at dealing with it now.

One of the books key thoughts is you can't control the cards only how you play and how you react.

I posted a pile of quotes from it on the thread below about 8 posts down or something (mostly psycho babble but it worked for me lol)

If only smoking ones would work as well 4me :(

• edited December 2013
    oh and venting really helps me to. Just putting down in a post what's starting to tilt me clears it out of mind. You'll see my vents, moaning, crying like a little girl posts in the bbv section every now and again. Makes me look like a plonker but if it helps me not tilt and spew money away I'll keep doing it. Stops my tilt building in a session and then carrying on to my next session.

Anyway hope you find something the works for you.
  • edited December 2013
    ive been a right nob in the chatbox lately with tilting.
  • edited December 2013

Good post/link JD.

Also my favourite...

"Rather than feeling as if you’re a better player, prove it."

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Tilting probkem:
    If only smoking ones would work as well 4me :(

I got half way through "The Mental Game of Poker" and gave up as the American style of Psycho babble started to grate on me (tilted me even lol !).

However I did stop smoking for 2.5 years after reading Allen Carrs "Easy way to stop smoking". Really felt like a non-smoker for vast majority of that time until one drunken night in Paris when I succombed to the drunken notion that I could chain smoke for 2 hours & never smoke again. Wrong!

Definitely worth a try - if you really want to quit. There have been a few follow up books too, the original available 2nd hand here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Smoking-Penguin-health-fitness/dp/014013378X/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386197350&sr=1-13&keywords=easy+way+to+stop+smoking+-+allen+carr
  • edited December 2013
    Learn not to tilt. It took me ages but now when a bad beat, suck out, how can he call with that moment happens, I sigh (sometimes loudly with the odd swear word if I'm playing on-line)and if I've got chips left, think about how to play the next hand.By the time I've got my next hand it's forgotten about.
  • edited December 2013
    cheers guys much appreciated and jd I will be stealing those quotes that you took from the book which I think could help. The worst thing is I consciously do it knowing after a bad beat I will ruin whatever I have left on that table luckily my live game has saved me (little brag) from going bust.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Tilting probkem : I got half way through "The Mental Game of Poker" and gave up as the American style of Psycho babble started to grate on me (tilted me even lol !). However I did stop smoking for 2.5 years after reading Allen Carrs "Easy way to stop smoking". Really felt like a non-smoker for vast majority of that time until one drunken night in Paris when I succombed to the drunken notion that I could chain smoke for 2 hours & never smoke again. Wrong! Definitely worth a try - if you really want to quit. There have been a few follow up books too, the original available 2nd hand here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Smoking-Penguin-health-fitness/dp/014013378X/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386197350&sr=1-13&keywords=easy+way+to+stop+smoking+-+allen+carr
    Posted by clubhammer
    Great book, I also gave up for 2 years after reading it; then my mother decided to pass away when I was only 29 and it was a rather stressful time, blah blah etc and ended up smoking again.

I keep meaning to go back and read it again, however, I did put on 4 stone within a year, although I was a skinny runt at the time of giving up.

What I get wound up at most is people that call my big bets with cards I wouldn't dream of.  I guess that we all play differently and can't 'expect' others to play the same and respect our bets.

I just wen't out of the mini rebuy after being dealt JJ in the SB, first to act min raises to 400, everyone folds to me, I wack in a big 5xBB 1000, the BB folds and the initial guy calls. Flop comes with two 10's and I could't imagine a hand that would call with a 10 unless it was a pair of 10's; we both get all in and he had A10!!

Now to me, he shouldn't be in the pot after my pre flop bet, obviously his play after the flop is justified. However this is my point, I was expecting him to play the way I would, obviously his range is much wider than mine when calling a 5xBB bet, so I just noted the player and now have to move on.

Although, I now know in future that player can be a great source of chips ;o)

Gary.
  • edited December 2013
    Clubhammer unfortunately I've already read it. I was down to 2 a day whilst reading it but soon when back up.

That's now patches, gum, inhaler, books, electronic cigs I used and failed with. The next one is the drug the doctor prescribes although googled and some of the side effects are a bit concerning. The main one being "feelings of extreme dredd" lol

The first and last few chapters of mental game aren't all that great IMO but the middle section that details all the different types of tilt were really good for me. Was a bit annoying the way book constantly asked you to flick from section to section too but overall I'd recommend it to anyone.

Sorry for the slight smoking derail golds.
  • edited December 2013
    • Fishtales I'm surprised it was as strong as A10 lol

I was playing tournament a month or so ago and it's down to last 9 people or something. I'm bb and it folds to sb who limps. I reraise 5 times the bb with AK because I knew he was a station. It was at least 20% of his stack. He flats my raise and flop comes 229 rainbow. He checks and I cbet. He calls. Turn card is an ace. He shoves and I call. He had 2 9.

I flew into a major chat box tilt rage.......I decided at that point I needed to buy a book lol
  • edited December 2013
    Just so you know, I thought you played really really well and was a shame you tilted.

I used to have the same problem and the more you play the more you get used to it.

It helped me to take frequent breaks and also to multi-table.  The more tables you are playing then the less time it is there playing on your mind cos you are straight back in the action.

GL and any more questions then fire away on the forum!

• edited December 2013
    cheers guys much appreciated and jd I will be stealing those quotes that you took from the book which I think could help. The worst thing is I consciously do it knowing after a bad beat I will ruin whatever I have left on that table luckily my live game has saved me (little brag) from going bust.
    Posted by golds95

I was the same! What I would do was call bets when the villain had made a bad call and had so obviously got there. I think I made/make those calls just to satisfy my "jd you are the unluckiest player in the world" thoughts. Clearly calling doesn't make me unlucky it just makes me bad lol

• edited December 2013
    Fishtales I'm surprised it was as strong as A10 lol I was playing tournament a month or so ago and it's down to last 9 people or something. I'm bb and it folds to sb who limps. I reraise 5 times the bb with AK because I knew he was a station. It was at least 20% of his stack. He flats my raise and flop comes 229 rainbow. He checks and I cbet. He calls. Turn card is an ace. He shoves and I call. He had 2 9. I flew into a major chat box tilt rage.......I decided at that point I needed to buy a book lol
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I'm so sorry but that did make me chuckle, more of in a wow kind of way though. But, yeah I'd have gone mad, although I do manage to stay away from the caht boxes to an extent. All I put after the hand was 'ok'
  • edited December 2013
    Haha I definitely wasn't amused at the time but it's funny remembering how angry I actually was! Amazing the extremes of emotion this game brings which is probably why all keep coming back!

If I can't hold back typing something in the chatbox Im trying to stick to a sarcastic "wp" lol 

• edited December 2013
    The more tables you are playing then the less time it is there playing on your mind cos you are straight back in the action.

GL and any more questions then fire away on the forum!

THIS
  • edited December 2013
    ive been a right nob in the chatbox lately with tilting.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Most certainly have rock! told me to suck ya balls other day haha
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Tilting probkem : Most certainly have rock! told me to suck ya balls other day haha
    Posted by kidwiz10
    nah i wasnt tilting at that point, i can remember saying that, it wasnt actualy directed at you that by the way, it was just a general daft remark as i exited the tourney
  • edited December 2013
    Mental game of poker is a decent read for dealing with tilt. Also good for motivating you to want to improve. I used to tilt quite bad and didn't even realise I was doing it at times. The book just helped me recognise when I am tilting and then highlighted the pitfalls of tilting-knowing these two things was half the battle for me! I still do tilt but can recognise it quicker and I'm far far better at dealing with it now. One of the books key thoughts is you can't control the cards only how you play and how you react. I posted a pile of quotes from it on the thread below about 8 posts down or something (mostly psycho babble but it worked for me lol) If only smoking ones would work as well 4me :(https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3acdf513a4-4811-44dd-b210-c66d9e48e878Discussion%3a380197af-84b5-4b72-a1ea-cfabab5e44b8
    Posted by jdsallstar
    When you read the Mental Game of Poker, did you read it from start to finish or just focus on sections whihch related to yourself
  • edited December 2013
    Balance a glass of water on your head , that'll stop u tilting.
  • edited December 2013
    Just so you know, I thought you played really really well and was a shame you tilted. I used to have the same problem and the more you play the more you get used to it. It helped me to take frequent breaks and also to multi-table.  The more tables you are playing then the less time it is there playing on your mind cos you are straight back in the action. GL and any more questions then fire away on the forum!
    Posted by scotty77

Thanks for posting Ryan and the hand that i ran into your aces wasnt the one that tilted me was from another table, even though i ended up tilting from that hand cos i had utter garbage running into your aces should have bailed pre flop but tilting head was on and thought i could bluff you off it, clearly not. I will take your advise and multi table hopefully this 18 yr old can just become better and not TILT gl on the tables everyone thanks for the advise.
  • edited December 2013
    well just happened in super sat for next weeks bounty get it in with aces and he calls with a gut shot course he gets there at least ill come on here and cry a little instead of spunking my bankroll