You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Every @&£@ing time!!!

Right so I'm not good at mtt's but every single time I get anywhere close to the decent money it all ends in tears!!!

Tonight's story was I hit two pair on flop and check raise all in he calls with draw and catches on the river! Nh gg! Standard stuff but really irritating lol Finished 15th or something! just can't catch a break late on and need to vent!

I finish in the top 10% of tourneys about 20% of the time but only final tabled 3 times. So out of my tiny mtt sample of 250 that's 50 times in the top 10% and only 3 final tables!!!!! Sigh! Anyway keep learning and try to get better (either that or find a cat to kick)!!

Wife's sleeping so I've no one else to moan at lol sorry you wasted your time reading that!!

Comments

• edited December 2013
    What I would say mate. As the blinds increase and the blind:Stack ratio decreases, try and min raise and steal the blinds from the button and cut off more frequently. You don't have to do it every time, but picking up the odd set of blinds as you go, gives you a bigger stack, so when your 2 pair does lose to the str8 draw you're not out and gives you a 2nd chance to get back into it.

Try and target the tight players, and maybe overbet/shove vs the loose players who will make bad calls...
  • edited December 2013
    Also try and identify the lags, use your image and ship over them, regardless what your hand is, So long as you have enough Fold Equity!
  • edited December 2013
    Cheers fella's for the feedback on my rant :)

I've went down final 3-4 tables with big stacks and short stacks and it just hasn't worked out for me so far. Although I would say I do tend to have a middling to lower stack size.

It's at that stage that it seems to go wrong for me i.e. when I get my middle size stack in and the double up would propel me to a top 4 stack or whatever and I just seem to fall on the wrong side of variance whether it be flips, 70/30's, 60/40's or draws hitting/missing etc. The one that is really destroying my will to live at the moment is flips where I have the overs, one of the overs hits the flop and they hit their 2 outers on turn or river. Must have happened about 4 times in last week lol get the joy of thinking you've won they it all goes wrong! 

Something I need to work on is definitely building a stack in the middle to later stages. Too much time playing DYMs I think has made me overly cautious at times but it's a fine line for me between being aggressive and spewy which I'm trying to get the correct balance on. The other one is knowing when to give up when being aggressive - I tend to get involved in big pots trying to bluff my way through. The other leak is holding on to hands like AK too much.

I'm getting there though (I think) and a decent win can't be too far away......I hope!

ps anybody who does play me in any tournaments - I'd love any feedback you have on my game!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Every @&£@ing time!!!:
    What I would say mate. As the blinds increase and the blind:Stack ratio decreases, try and min raise and steal the blinds from the button and cut off more frequently. You don't have to do it every time, but picking up the odd set of blinds as you go, gives you a bigger stack, so when your 2 pair does lose to the str8 draw you're not out and gives you a 2nd chance to get back into it. Try and target the tight players, and maybe overbet/shove vs the loose players who will make bad calls...
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Steal the blinds! Haha, the villians call you with nothing anyway and hit the draw on the river.

Allstar, i know you took a lot of pride in defending the rng, seems now the shoe is on the other foot.

WHY would someone call an ALL-IN, with a DRAW ?

Simple, because they know the rng will make them hit it!
  • edited December 2013
    Well I was right!!!!!

I got my first mtt win ever on sky :)

Only £5 bh with a 120 runners or something but couldn't be happier right now lol

Ran like god on the last few tables - aj vs aq, k10 vs QQ and the winning hand - Q8 with the money going in on an AQ6 flop. He has Q10 but I spike an 8 on the turn!!!
  • edited December 2013
    Jim

I was never questioning the rng!!! I was moaning about being unlucky or not getting the luck at the right time! Poker is a game of very narrow margins and I understand that I will go on runs of bad luck.....it's the nature of the game! The rng should reflect that and it does!!

I also understand that my mtt game has quite a few holes in it and as I say I'll keep learning and keep trying to get better! That won't stop me moaning about being unlucky tho lol

Anyway don't bring me down......I WON MY FIRST MTT!!!!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Every @&£@ing time!!!:
    Jim I was never questioning the rng!!! I was moaning about being unlucky or not getting the luck at the right time! Poker is a game of very narrow margins and I understand that I will go on runs of bad luck.....it's the nature of the game! The rng should reflect that and it does!! I also understand that my mtt game has quite a few holes in it and as I say I'll keep learning and keep trying to get better! That won't stop me moaning about being unlucky tho lol Anyway don't bring me down......I WON MY FIRST MTT!!!!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Well done on the win. 

And hope you experience less people calling all-ins with draws - and getting there, in future games.

It is bad play in my opinion, but there must be a reason why they keep doing it.
  • edited December 2013
    They like to gamble Jim (if not correct odds)

Congrats on the win JD! Hope some of my advice helped! :)
  • edited December 2013
    Congrats on the win JD, I am sure I'm not too far behind on my first win, lol

As DoubleAAA points out, most people online don't understand pot odds / implied odds and the chance of hitting a draw, so they effectively gamble while not even knowing they are doing it.