You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Timebank/Disconnection amendments

I wholeheartedly believe that there is a strong need for a timebank. Having recently moved from 888 where I grinded NL20/30 full ring, the fast-paced nature of the NL10 games here really requires a timebank to think through some of the more difficult decisions, especially on the river. It has already been mentioned that this is the industry standard and I geniunely believe it would attract far more players to the site if they knew they had tank time available. One of my good poker friends from 888 who plays the mid-stakes would like to move to Sky Poker himself but refuses to do so all the time you don't have a timebank! Needless to say the rake you could generate from more like him would surely more than justify its existence?! 

On a related but slightly seperate note, I think it is as (if not more) important to have disconnection protection. Not everyone's internet is perfect the whole time, and indeed in a 3-bet pot yesterday I lost internet for the 10 crucial seconds it took the fish to donk-shove the river with 90% of our stacks in the middle already and I held top boat!!! If not network latency timebank allowance, then at least a function that treats disconnected players as all-in already??

My guess is more of you are keen to see these amendments to an otherwise tremendous offering too :)

Thanks, and I hope you take note of some of these suggestions Sky!

Greg

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Timebank is definitely needed and I think they have mentioned plans to incorporate it at some point.  The green bar that smacks across the middle of the screen is awful, puts you under real pressure and you only have 14 seconds to make a decision!  Either increase decision time, or add the time bank asap please!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank/Disconnection amendments:
    Timebank is definitely needed and I think they have mentioned plans to incorporate it at some point.  The green bar that smacks across the middle of the screen is awful, puts you under real pressure and you only have 14 seconds to make a decision!  Either increase decision time, or add the time bank asap please!
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Glad you agree - wonder if you have any thoughts on the network latency issue too? I really believe this is essential if one is considering playing for any meaningful sums (meaningful of course being relative to everyone!).

I don't actually mind the time bar across the middle of the screen myself too much as at least it is pretty obvious how much time you have, I just really pray our aforementioned adaptations can be added shortly!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank/Disconnection amendments : Glad you agree - wonder if you have any thoughts on the network latency issue too? I really believe this is essential if one is considering playing for any meaningful sums (meaningful of course being relative to everyone!). I don't actually mind the time bar across the middle of the screen myself too much as at least it is pretty obvious how much time you have, I just really pray our aforementioned adaptations can be added shortly!
    Posted by SWAGGER27
    Yes disconnection protection would also be good, and is quite important, but this is something that not all of the top poker sites have (to my knowledge).  I much prefer to see the decision time increased and an added time bank.  One of the reasons for this is that when you want to input a specific amount, that in itself can take a few seconds, so when multi-tabling, you're kind of left with either betting pot or half pot.  Another good addition would be to have pre-customed bet-size tabs like on FT and stars.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank/Disconnection amendments : Yes disconnection protection would also be good, and is quite important, but this is something that not all of the top poker sites have (to my knowledge).  I much prefer to see the decision time increased and an added time bank.  One of the reasons for this is that when you want to input a specific amount, that in itself can take a few seconds, so when multi-tabling, you're kind of left with either betting pot or half pot.  Another good addition would be to have pre-customed bet-size tabs like on FT and stars.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Yeah I agree with that, typing a specific bet sizing is quite time consuming across multiple tables and often you miss crucial value by not being able to do so I find. This surely has to be more of a pressing issue in the long term playability of Sky Poker than the ability to one table over your iPad, or the further customisation of the already well-documented mini view?
  • edited December 2013
    Sky - Any ideas as to if/when a time bank will be added?
  • edited December 2013
    Hello,

Thank you for your post and suggestions regarding the software.

The rollout of the new software is allowing us to make quick changes on the back of user feedback. We are already in the process of working on a new "classic" mini view which we are hoping to roll out soon. 

The addition of a timebank is certainly something that we are looking at. At present we are looking at how it could be introduced to the site. We will keep you posted on developments.

Thanks

Sam
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks Sam, what about the disconnection protection that Swagger has mentioned? I agree that this is of upmost importance because of how many players it can affect.

I talked about it in another thread but HU in a tournament is one area for sure that needs some dicsonnection protection because if you lose connection HU for a couple of minutes it can cost you massively. Something like 5 minutes to get back to the table would be reasonable in this situation. (also the tournament clock would stop in this time so the blind levels stay the same)

Now in cash games the disconnection only really affects us when we are already in a pot. So if we are in a pot of substantial size in relation to our stack we should have more increased time for us to be able to get back. However, we would only be allowed this maybe once/twice an hour - this prevents the games from being slowed down too much for other players if there is someone always disconnecting) Since it's a cash game though the other players at the table aren't affected if action goes a little slower because of a disconnection problem.

Now for tournaments that aren't HU - this is more tricky since it is not possible to stop the tournament clock from running just because 1 player got dc'd. Thus the rest of the table is going to be somewhat affected (they get less hands to play per blind level) if they have to wait a substantial time for someone to return to the table. So maybe only have a 1 min to return for this - and only if the player is in the blinds at the time. Also it can only happen 1/2 times per hour.

SNG's - tournament clock can stop for this, so we can give a reasonable time for a player to get his connection back.
  • edited December 2013
    The problem with the timebank is how would you stop people abusing it in turbo/hyper heads up games and tournaments when its on the bubble

As im sure we have all been in the situation where the other table/s have slowed right down trying too wait on someone busting and i think with a timebank this would just be worse especially if say a friend is on the same table or other table knowing that they can try waste time too help you out or speed up while u use the timebank.

Maybe if they could put it on cash games and not tournaments or say in tournaments but only have 30 seconds and this gets reset every break so its 1 an hour.

I would say by the amount of threads on the forum and my own expeirience,s with disconnection that some sort of protection from this would be a great idea.but again this could be abused by players deliberately disconnecting at crucial times in games.
  • edited December 2013
    Churchy - All the top sites have a timebank for tournaments, sngs, cash game etc.  Like you said, they can have the timebank set to 30 seconds, and this can be reset every hour (it's the way it works on the other sites except it's usually 60secs)

At the moment it's not so easy to input a specified bet amount, and we only have 15 seconds to make a decision.  When multi-tabling this can become quite challenging especially if presented with an awkward spot or you are involved in a couple of hands at the same time.
  • edited December 2013
    Churchy - All the top sites have a timebank for tournaments, sngs, cash game etc.  Like you said, they can have the timebank set to 30 seconds, and this can be reset every hour (it's the way it works on the other sites except it's usually 60secs) At the moment it's not so easy to input a specified bet amount, and we only have 15 seconds to make a decision.  When multi-tabling this can become quite challenging especially if presented with an awkward spot or you are involved in a couple of hands at the same time.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    thats your side.

But what about players like myself who play for fun and only play say 2/3 tables at a time,

Are you are saying we have too get our games slowed down too accommodate players who play 6 or however many tables?

That's your,s and others choice too play that amount of tables.

If people can,t handle that many tables with the time they have then  play less tables

If people want too try and grind a living out of poker that is fine and good luck too them.

But why should players like me help them take my money quicker by saying we need a timebank when we don,t.

Maybe others do but others don,t.

I know people will disagree but thats just my opinion...

good luck at the tables.

p.s I,m sure there was another thread on this a few month ago as well.which i think was split

• edited December 2013
    A time bank will help all types of players Churchy.  Even for players who are 1-tabling, you will find yourself at some point with a tough decision whereby, you need to think about the hand properly, how was it played pf, the flop etc, to see if you make that call or perhaps you need to think if you reraise all in?  Sometimes it takes longer than 15 seconds mate.  Even the pros take longer than 15 seconds to make decisions sometimes.  I just think the timebank would be useful to all players.
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks Sam, what about the disconnection protection that Swagger has mentioned? I agree that this is of upmost importance because of how many players it can affect. I talked about it in another thread but HU in a tournament is one area for sure that needs some dicsonnection protection because if you lose connection HU for a couple of minutes it can cost you massively. Something like 5 minutes to get back to the table would be reasonable in this situation. (also the tournament clock would stop in this time so the blind levels stay the same) Now in cash games the disconnection only really affects us when we are already in a pot. So if we are in a pot of substantial size in relation to our stack we should have more increased time for us to be able to get back. However, we would only be allowed this maybe once/twice an hour - this prevents the games from being slowed down too much for other players if there is someone always disconnecting) Since it's a cash game though the other players at the table aren't affected if action goes a little slower because of a disconnection problem. Now for tournaments that aren't HU - this is more tricky since it is not possible to stop the tournament clock from running just because 1 player got dc'd. Thus the rest of the table is going to be somewhat affected (they get less hands to play per blind level) if they have to wait a substantial time for someone to return to the table. So maybe only have a 1 min to return for this - and only if the player is in the blinds at the time. Also it can only happen 1/2 times per hour. SNG's - tournament clock can stop for this, so we can give a reasonable time for a player to get his connection back.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Hello,

As with the timebank, a disconnection protection is something that we have discussed with a view to future implementation.

Currently we are focused on tablet support and the classic mini view, which a lot of players are asking for. But as mentioned is something that is in future plans. 

With a continued focus on developments for the new software, please keep all feedback coming and we will keep you updated. 

Thanks

Sam

• edited December 2013
    Hi, thanks. Classic mini view seems important but tablet support seems like something that can wait, with disconnection protection surely of more importance?

@ churchy: Nobody will abuse it on the direct bubble: it plays hand for hand, so there is no value in doing so. If you mean a bit before the bubble - then so be it. That's their choice if they want to waste their 'precious' timebank on just 1 hand just to slow down the action. And then when they pick up a hand when they do actually have a tough decision they'll be annoyed that they wasted their time bank on something so stupid. In short, I can't see anyone using a limited time bank on abusing a bubble and if they did it is only harming then.
  • edited December 2013
    @ Ivan - It is possible for someone to abuse the time bank directly on the bubble even though it is hand for hand.  Example in question, let's say I am sat with AQs on the btn and have 4bbs, whilst there is someone on another table who has 2bbs and is all in, Well I can click my time bank and see how the other guys hand played out before deciding what to do with my AQs.

The above can be really abused in the bubble of a sattelite.  But this should be no reason as to why there should be no time bank.  It is something that is needed and also the disconnection protection (Especially HU) as has already been mentioned.
  • edited December 2013
    @ Ivan - It is possible for someone to abuse the time bank directly on the bubble even though it is hand for hand.  Example in question, let's say I am sat with AQs on the btn and have 4bbs, whilst there is someone on another table who has 2bbs and is all in, Well I can click my time bank and see how the other guys hand played out before deciding what to do with my AQs. The above can be really abused in the bubble of a sattelite.  But this should be no reason as to why there should be no time bank.  It is something that is needed and also the disconnection protection (Especially HU) as has already been mentioned.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    I do find it genuinely difficult to believe that there is a greater desire across the majority of users for tablet support and a mini-view than there is for something that protects the integrity and playability of the game as it is. Compared with timebank/disconnection protection, these seem like relative luxuries that the site does perfectly well without as it is. I do however agree that timebank in tournaments has the propensity to be abused, however in cash games its use seems almost essential when thinking carefully and strategically about the game. As already mentioned, all other major poker sites (to my knowledge) without exception have this facility and having experienced many of these softwares first hand, it is my opinion that this is the single biggest improvement that could be made to an otherwise wonderful online poker offering Sky!

• edited December 2013
    have too say no need for a timebank all it does is give the grinders more time too check the odds of they,re hands and time too use other poker tools/aides which sky do not allow.

as for other sites having timebanks go too those sites if you really need a timebank or play less tables and within your limits!
  • edited December 2013
    have too say no need for a timebank all it does is give the grinders more time too check the odds of they,re hands and time too use other poker tools/aides which sky do not allow. as for other sites having timebanks go too those sites if you really need a timebank or play less tables and within your limits!
    Posted by gracious
    I don't know why you think grinders sit at home getting their calculators and poker charts out during a time bank. Odds are pretty simple to calculate, but some decisions need to be thought about for longer, that's just a fact. What poker tools and aides are you talking about that sky doesn't allow? A hud isn't affected by time as it isn't entered manually. Timebanks are completely industry standard for online poker and it is encouraging to hear that sky is thinking of moving out of the dark ages software wise in the near future.

A few seconds more thinking time in certain tricky situations when there is money on the line is just complete common sense. To argue, like you do, against timebanks because they would give players a chance to make better decisions, is the whole point why they should be introduced! Skypoker offers up to 10/20 NL on cash. To have just 14 seconds or whatever the exact amount is, to think about a decision worth upto a 4k swing is madness. 
  • edited December 2013
     +1 for the time bank, looking on the forums, it seems players are asking for time banks, more than anything else..
  • edited January 2014
    Supprised timebanks and disconnection protection havnt been rolled out already.

Got to agree be shocked if having a app version was top of players list yes needed to keep sky competive but as a addition to the new software once all the bugs are sorted out. Great marketing tool but we must get the software running well before attracting new players just to lose them