You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SnG Six Max

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
as part of the double points week I've found myself playing more Six Max instead of the more usual DYM's (I know both get double points but theres just more to choose from).
It got me thinking about whether this is a step up playing wise from a DYM - I thought so but that might be cos I just won a couple (blatent brag but indulge me as it deosn't happen often).  I found I played much more for myself and the position, cards etc rather than in DYM's I think I am more passive. Its a small difference top 2 compared to top 3 but it seemed a more technical challenge and more 'pure' poker.
Do any of the regs and betters agree or am I just riding the crest of a small wave?
thx
Ian

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hi Ian

Just simple advice really, play whatever you enjoy !
    I've played mostly Holdem DYM's for the last 2 years and was getting a little bored, so i've recently moved over to PLO8 DYM's , which i find a lot more interesting and makes you think more .

Whatever you decide just ENJOY :-)))

Oh and Good luck
  • edited December 2013
    yes, standard SNG's are a lot different to DYM's. 1st place is the biggest payout, and 3rd gets nothing, so instead of playing to survive, like in a DYM, there is alot more emphasis on playing to win - so you can be more aggressive and take a few more risks.

In DYM's, having the bigstack on the bubble doesn't really matter, as long as your not the short stack, your fine

in SNG's it pays massivley to be the bigstack on the bubble - you can bully the short stacks who are fighting not to be out in 3rd and increas your stack further, so that when you do finally get to HU, its a simple job!

IMO, the strategies involved in standard SNG's are more complex than DYM's - which is why DYM's are such a good place to start playing. I'm learning PLO8, and play the DYM's!
  • edited December 2013
    I play Six-Max games and DYM's fairly regularly. It seems logical that you're more likely to win a DYM rather than a Six-Max game, however I have consistently found the opposite to be true! To be honest, I have no idea why this is the case ... but I do find making a profit from Six-Max games considerably easier .. defies logic really!

Just play what you enjoy though, that should always be the aim: to have fun. If you happen to make a profit in the process then great! :D
  • edited December 2013
    I much prefer regular SNG to DYM.

Perhaps it's because my style seems to mean I usually either finish first, or bust out early, so I get rewarded better for that.

But moreover I find DYMs frustrating because most of them seem to take forever with most people running scared of finishing outside the bubble. I prefer playing any game to win, rather than not to lose.

But...that's just me. Everyone has their own style and preferences.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: SnG Six Max:
    I play Six-Max games and DYM's fairly regularly. It seems logical that you're more likely to win a DYM rather than a Six-Max game, however I have consistently found the opposite to be true! To be honest, I have no idea why this is the case ... but I do find making a profit from Six-Max games considerably easier .. defies logic really! Just play what you enjoy though, that should always be the aim: to have fun. If you happen to make a profit in the process then great! :D
    Posted by peter27
    Me too Peter (I think in my post above it implies why).

I like to try and tempt people with worse hands into going all in, then I can sit there with a nice healthy stack for the whole game. Sometimes I bust out early when the villain hits his river card, but there's not much I can do about that.

I find the play in the DYMs (at least the low stakes ones I've played) to be much less aggressive, and to be honest, much less enjoyable. 

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who plays higher stacks DYMs (and regular SNGs for that matter) to get their experience of how the play changes as you step up the levels.
  • edited December 2013

A point that is interesting to note (apart from the fact that my typing is underlined and i cant figure out how to undo it) is that the sharkscope leaderboards for average profit in dym or 50/50s is dominated by dym players. 50/50 works similar enough to the sit and go version your referring to. My conclusion from this is your more likely to win more on dyms long term than sit and goes. Which is the better skill is an interesting question because if your aim is to make most profit then part of the skill is in choosing which is best to make a profit. In my opinion dym is more profitable simply because people are less faimilar with the tactic to use in dyms.

Ger

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: SnG Six Max:
    I find the play in the DYMs (at least the low stakes ones I've played) to be much less aggressive, and to be honest, much less enjoyable.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Interesting quote that. Of course DYM's can be a bit more boring as if you have a big stack you just play really tight, potentially even folding KK or AA. However I would not say they are much less enjoyable compared to Six-Max games, in my opinion anyway :-)