You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How can you cash for less than the buy-in?

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Surely this should not be.........£33 to play in tonight's B/H....I finish in the money (no bounties) and get £32 pence! Pay less people so that you get a small profit....what do you think....

Comments

• edited December 2013

Think of it this way;

There are two prizepools. After deducting rake £15 of your entry fee goes into the standard prizepool, £15 goes into the bounty prize pool.

On this occasion you cashed for £32 in the regular prizepool, a £17 profit on your £15 investment. In the bounty prizepool you didn't cash.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: How can you cash for less than the buy-in?:
    Think of it this way; There are two prizepools. After deducting rake £15 of your entry fee goes into the standard prizepool, £15 goes into the bounty prize pool. On this occasion you cashed for £32 in the regular prizepool, a £17 profit on your £15 investment. In the bounty prizepool you didn't cash.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Thank you for your comment Gary.....always have respected your views....but for me the real question is should less people be paid
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: How can you cash for less than the buy-in? : Thank you for your comment Gary.....always have respected your views....but for me the real question is should less people be paid
    Posted by Maggiesdad
    Good question, but I  think the answer is no. As Gary says (feels odd that) it should be be regarded as two simultaneous competitions. One is a standard tounament, and the other is a tournament of knocking people out.
    So in this case you cashed in one of them which is always nice, but we all hope for better, and the other one was a failure on this occasion. The good/bad of a bounty hunter, is to risk trying to get bounties reduces you chances of winning the tournament, this does of course just add an extra level of complexity.
    Another way of looking at it is, that the further you go in a BH tournie then the more likely you are to have won bounties, therefore the prize pool has been shifted towards the front of the field. If they were to reduce the number of places paid then this would just make it even more so.
    Having said all that I know what you mean it does not feel right. This is because think/feel you entered one tournie but in reality you entered two.
  • edited December 2013
    Completely agree with Gary and have said this to a few people who have asked me similar questions.

BHers are dual prizepool tournies.  One half is the normal freezeout PP.  The other is the Bounty Prizepool.  You have just over doubled your money in one and failed to cash in the other. 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: How can you cash for less than the buy-in? : Good question, but I  think the answer is no. As Gary says (feels odd that) it should be be regarded as two simultaneous competitions. One is a standard tounament, and the other is a tournament of knocking people out. So in this case you cashed in one of them which is always nice, but we all hope for better, and the other one was a failure on this occasion. The good/bad of a bounty hunter, is to risk trying to get bounties reduces you chances of winning the tournament, this does of course just add an extra level of complexity. Another way of looking at it is, that the further you go in a BH tournie then the more likely you are to have won bounties, therefore the prize pool has been shifted towards the front of the field. If they were to reduce the number of places paid then this would just make it even more so. Having said all that I know what you mean it does not feel right. This is because think/feel you entered one tournie but in reality you entered two.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Thanks for your comment....the only way of getting what I believe to be a balance would be to reduce the places paid and weight the prize pool disproportionally.....so that say, 66% went to the tournament side of things and 34% went to the bounties element....that would mean that you show a profit across the whole tourny for getting into the cash regardless of how many - if any - bounties you take. I suppose that I just have to shift my outlook on these types of games.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: How can you cash for less than the buy-in? : Thanks for your comment....the only way of getting what I believe to be a balance would be to reduce the places paid and weight the prize pool disproportionally.....so that say, 66% went to the tournament side of things and 34% went to the bounties element....that would mean that you show a profit across the whole tourny for getting into the cash regardless of how many - if any - bounties you take. I suppose that I just have to shift my outlook on these types of games.
    Posted by Maggiesdad
    Hi Mike,

Yes, as perfectly explained by several, they are effectively TWO Tournies with seperate Prize Pools. 

The current distribution of prize money does not suit everyone of course, but generally, the regulars prefer to see the money paid out to more players, rather than more to fewer.

Hope you, & Kelly, are fine & dandy. Pleased with Livepool's season so far, I assume?