You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO: Joesman1

edited December 2013 in Betting Chat
After watching the beecher chase today, please do not give up on backing ON HIS OWN for the national next year, P Townsend dropped this horse to back off field today why?????   he stayed on strongly again, they are keeping his handicap mark by looks of that run.

Jockey gave it a terrible race, why????? (to keep handicap mark, thats why)
Well backed before the off too, jumped great over the fences and again i think will run a huge race in national next year.

Watched the reply of race again and cant belive the jockey didnt kick on from postion down back stright, instead dropped him out (he satys at least 4m).

Hope i am right but i will deffo be on in 2014.

Gl all with your bets this weekend.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    agree ms -tree but I worry whether the horse actually like aintree.

Hope you and joesman are right but worried for you.
  • edited December 2013
    Evening chaps. Sneaked out of a poker tournie today to go watch it in the Bigg Market. Yep totally ineffective/strange ride. Obv I only had eyes for it in the race. Jumped off well, then was allowed to drift to the rear without being touched. Never touched a twig either. Annoying I did my money in again. 

But I'm in that deep with this animal now, that I have no choice but to take the 40/1 with Skybet, and go in again.......
  • edited December 2013

I am so glad you have not given up on this horse as a national winner, i have and will continue to back myself until the day arrives, but at price i will be doing e/w (until price drops below 20/1, then win bets).

A little e/w bet each week till the day, and i hope we will be happy on that long run in.

Gl all with your picks

• edited December 2013
    Racing noob alert....

does this kinda thing actually happen? Or is it a conspiracy theory like you see on this poker forum day in day out?

If you guys as punters are good enough to see through this 'manipulation of the system' (?) then why aren't the professionals who run the sport, and who work for bookmakers doing the same thing and acting accordingly?
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to FAO: Joesman1:
    After watching the beecher chase today, please do not give up on backing ON HIS OWN for the national next year, P Townsend dropped this horse to back off field today why?????   he stayed on strongly again, they are keeping his handicap mark by looks of that run. Jockey gave it a terrible race, why????? (to keep handicap mark, thats why) Well backed before the off too, jumped great over the fences and again i think will run a huge race in national next year. Watched the reply of race again and cant belive the jockey didnt kick on from postion down back stright, instead dropped him out (he satys at least 4m). Hope i am right but i will deffo be on in 2014. Gl all with your bets this weekend.
    Posted by ms-tree

What about Swing Bill in the same race? same tactics but proven he gets round Aintree and carries less weight?

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: FAO: Joesman1:
    Racing noob alert.... does this kinda thing actually happen? Or is it a conspiracy theory like you see on this poker forum day in day out? If you guys as punters are good enough to see through this 'manipulation of the system' (?) then why aren't the professionals who run the sport, and who work for bookmakers doing the same thing and acting accordingly?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi Dohhh ,

happens all the time. Authorities do look at closely and hit when they can but so many grey areas as horses not machines. It is easy to run horses when they are not fully fit. Sometimes deliberately and some times the trainers think they fully fit but until a horse is put under pressure in a race they cant be certain. Sometimes horses win when not fully fit.

Also with the handicapping system trainers dont want their horses punished by the handicapper if bigger prizes are in the pipeline. 

With regards this particular case joesman thinks this horse will win a Grand National . the trainer obviously thinks so to. To do that the horse must have confidence of the course and have a good racing weight. Last time at Aintree On his Own going well when falling. Trainer obviously wanted run over these fences to make sure he got his confidence back , thats why jockey made sure it liked jumping these fences again. Doing that probably meant he couldnt win this race. Whether he will win Grand National when having to jump these fences when fully under pressure I remained unconvinced. Joesman , ms-tree and others think he can and who am I to argue.

Back to the wider point. Ways when sometimes a horse you think will win , cant win and a race used by trainers to reduce handicap mark are 

running when not fit.
    running right handed when horse only won going left handed. 
    horses being kept at back when they are normally front runners.
    horses with no blinkers, cheekpieces etc who cant win without them.
    and many more----

As I say not an exact science so "manipulation" can take place and in most cases nothing the authority can do about it.

Thats what makes it so exciting and when you see all the signs and back / lay the winner, so rewarding. 

hope that helps

Father Vaigret
  • edited December 2013
    ICouldn't agree more Father V,and it makes it that much harder for us poor sods trying to sort out a winner or  two.
    Still,they have nailed Gerargd Butler for injecting c**p into hios horses -should get a life ban,not 5 years.
    We all must it's so easy to "stop" a horse by the methods already described,and they are so good at it that the authorities often miss it.

Reminds me of the good old days with "Gentlemen" like Ryan Price and George Todd-need I say more if you remember these 2 !!! Response to Re: FAO: Joesman1:
    In Response to Re: FAO: Joesman1 : Hi Dohhh , happens all the time. Authorities do look at closely and hit when they can but so many grey areas as horses not machines. It is easy to run horses when they are not fully fit. Sometimes deliberately and some times the trainers think they fully fit but until a horse is put under pressure in a race they cant be certain. Sometimes horses win when not fully fit. Also with the handicapping system trainers dont want their horses punished by the handicapper if bigger prizes are in the pipeline.  With regards this particular case joesman thinks this horse will win a Grand National . the trainer obviously thinks so to. To do that the horse must have confidence of the course and have a good racing weight. Last time at Aintree On his Own going well when falling. Trainer obviously wanted run over these fences to make sure he got his confidence back , thats why jockey made sure it liked jumping these fences again. Doing that probably meant he couldnt win this race. Whether he will win Grand National when having to jump these fences when fully under pressure I remained unconvinced. Joesman , ms-tree and others think he can and who am I to argue. Back to the wider point. Ways when sometimes a horse you think will win , cant win and a race used by trainers to reduce handicap mark are  running when not fit. running right handed when horse only won going left handed.  horses being kept at back when they are normally front runners. horses with no blinkers, cheekpieces etc who cant win without them. and many more---- As I say not an exact science so "manipulation" can take place and in most cases nothing the authority can do about it.   Thats what makes it so exciting and when you see all the signs and back / lay the winner, so rewarding.  hope that helps Father Vaigret
    Posted by vaigret
  • edited December 2013
    PS to my previous post-Yes I know it's also just as easy ,if not easier,to "stop" greyhounds without using nasty
    substances-on the bed for 3 days,nice bowl of porridge the morning of his race,tighten the muzzle a bit,good bowl of water on the way to th track,etc etc .
    No comment on how I know.
  • edited December 2013
    hi bazzer

certainly remember the Captain, now there was an expert at beating the handicapper
  • edited December 2013

anyone old enough to remember bob turnell when he used to beat the handicaper by using horses like birds nest as top weight to keep his second string low then pull birds nest out in them days weights did not go up so his second string was top with everything else out of handicap
  • edited December 2013
    ICertainly am old enough to remember Bob turnell and Birds Nest Daphne.A great horse as well-did he win the Champion Hurdle ?
    His son Andy rode not quite as short as Lester.n Response to Re: FAO: Joesman1:
        anyone old enough to remember bob turnell when he used to beat the handicaper by using horses like birds nest as top weight to keep his second string low then pull birds nest out in them days weights did not go up so his second string was top with everything else out of handicap
    Posted by daphne56
  • edited December 2013
    ICertainly am old enough to remember Bob turnell and Birds Nest Daphne.A great horse as well-did he win the Champion Hurdle ? His son Andy rode not quite as short as Lester.n Response to Re: FAO: Joesman1 :
    Posted by bazzer61
     missed out on champion behind  sea pidgeon 
                                                    night nurse 
                                                    monksfield 

won 3 fighting fifth 
           3 bula 
           2 scottish champions 

• edited December 2013
    ITHANKS D.APHNE,3 GREAT NAMES YOU MENTIONED THEREn Response to Re: FAO: Joesman1:
    In Response to Re: FAO: Joesman1 :  missed out on champion behind  sea pidgeon                                                  night nurse                                                  monksfield   won 3 fighting fifth         3 bula         2 scottish champions                                                      
    Posted by daphne56
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks for the explanation Father, makes sense even to me.

Seems hard enough to find a winner without all this second guessing going on, spose there's a lot of study & interpretation required to make sure you don't miss anything!

Talking of which, I wouldn't know where to start, and even if I did, I would be too lazy, so get those ratings up before it comes on TV so I can copy ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks for the explanation Father, makes sense even to me. Seems hard enough to find a winner without all this second guessing going on, spose there's a lot of study & interpretation required to make sure you don't miss anything! Talking of which, I wouldn't know where to start, and even if I did, I would be too lazy, so get those ratings up before it comes on TV so I can copy ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    s doh away this weekend