You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's the biggest mistake people make/best advice you can give?

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
So I've seen now before these questions being posed to poker players that have been interviewed on skypoker and thought I'd pose the question here for people to answer.

One thing I see happen A LOT which is a big mistake people make is they try and put an opponent on A hand instead of a RANGE of hands. A good example of this might go as follows:

Hero raises it up with 77 and Villain 3-bets. Hero calls. Flop comes down 552.

Now villain is pretty tight and only 3-bets pre-flop with JJ+ and AK. What should we do with our 77?

Well against that range of hands we only have 34% equity. This is because there are 24 combinations of pairs we lose too but only 16 combos of AK hands that we are ahead of. (and even vs AK the AK has outs) So we should fold to any reasonable sized bet. Yes, sometimes we will be bluffed off the best hand but overall we will be making a correct fold. 

What people tend to do in this situation though is "put their opponent on AK" and will call down multiple bets as long as an A or K doesn't fall.

Comments

• edited December 2013

Set mining in 3bet HU pots with 77 ;)

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: What's the biggest mistake people make/best advice you can give?:
    Set mining in 3bet HU pots with 77 ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    haha, good one :P

Nobody else want to offer any advice/offer up what they think are mistakes that a lot of people make? :)
  • edited December 2013
    Not folding overpairs on super-wet boards when the rock clearly wants to play for stacks. 

"You wanna play for stacks? On that board?"

• edited December 2013
    Don't think there's only one way of playing a hand.
  • edited December 2013
    playing rag aces out of postion
  • edited December 2013
    Nonbeliever........
  • edited December 2013
    fold everything unless you have 6 aces
  • edited December 2013

Calling a 3-bet with suited connectors.
  • edited December 2013
    I would say a big mistake players make is playing a hand, for example suited connectors or small PP's in multiway pots, and getting carried away with a weak made hand that they were not intending to hit such as top pr with 78s or an over pair with 77 and feeling they can't fold. 

My advice would be if you don't hit the type of flop you want multiway then there's no harm in folding early while the pot is small than lose a big pot at the end. Yes you could be ahead at the time but there are still cards to come and against many opponents you'll never know where you are in the hand. 
  • edited December 2013
    DON'T PLAY POKER FOR A LIVING.
  • edited December 2013
    In my opinion some people follow the rules and odds of ABC poker to closely. So quite often a player who believes they have an edge and understand poker in a way they assume I dont is easily bluffed off a hand.

Unfortunately, these players will leave your table quite quickly so you need to get there cash quickly. If they miss a flop they fold to a decent raise. So that's the mistake some players make, their game is so ABC, So tight to the rules they're easy to bluff off hands.
  • edited December 2013
    Also,

Remember kids......................

Don't call a 100 chips raise down each street and lose 300 chips, raise 150 on the flop and if you get called you can assume you're beaten (altohugh you may of flopped the nuts) and can fold only losing 150 chips.

Another thing to remember, the villian has had bad beats before, they're in his mind right now, your cards maybe beat but your game can have a 70% lead.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: What's the biggest mistake people make/best advice you can give?:
    Also, Remember kids...................... Don't call a 100 chips raise down each street and lose 300 chips, raise 150 on the flop and if you get called you can assume you're beaten (altohugh you may of flopped the nuts) and can fold only losing 150 chips. Another thing to remember, the villian has had bad beats before, they're in his mind right now, your cards maybe beat but your game can have a 70% lead.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    So we're advocating raising for information with the view to folding to any resistance?  I see know way that this could be exploited!
  • edited December 2013
    One of the biggest mistakes i see from some of the mega multitabling cash players on alot of sites is that they will set mine no matter what position they are in and no matter who their opponant is and way against the odds then just check fold any miss or not even get paid when they actually hit because most players know how tight they are.

• edited December 2013
     Calling a 3-bet with suited connectors.
    Posted by 68Trebor
    I think you have to look at your opponents, position and stack sizes to call this a mistake.

Obv we shouldn,t be doing this all the time but in certain spots this can be the right play. What percentage of times we should be doing this. i,m not sure 

small on big confrontations. I think far to many ppl incl. myself sometimes find if its folded round to us in an MTT or STT feel we have to put in a raise to steal the blinds when it gets past a certain level
    Only advice i can think of here is to make notes on your opponent to find out how often and with what ranges they,ll defend their blinds with
  • edited December 2013
    constantly calling and weak betting with flush and straight draws until they come then making a sudden mega bet. when it's just going to cause folds and also playing top pairs 2 pairs and sets very weak on very draw heavy boards then on bricked rivers doing a mega bet when them flush and straights have now missed so will fold.

the only hand that should be slow played are top sets on dry boards, full houses on the flop and if still dry on the turn too, quads and finally straight draws on flops that rainbowed

edit: should be nut straights
    But even them shouldn't be played too slow as their could be a good chance of connectors especially with the Ahigh straights
  • edited December 2013
    I'd say raise/folding from an 11bb stack in an MTT is pretty bad ;)