You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Sky Staff

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Slipwater and I are doing a 24hour poker session on Saturday for cancer research.

Just to ask if all rake (paid by us) can be donated to the Charity, by way of a donation from Sky.

If this could please be passed onto senior management.

Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hi Larson,

Excellent cause. More information would be cool, like when do you start and how you going about it etc? 

Well done and good luck.
  • edited December 2013
    Make it happen sky, would be a great gesture.
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks slip water, only just seen it and have posted. Thanks. 
  • edited December 2013
    No worries, Craig - good luck at the tables :)
  • edited December 2013
    It would be good if Sky could do something, it could be the start of an annual charity event on Sky! Sky pokers charity event.

I asked Sky today, doesn't look like they will donate the rake made on our tables to the charity, always time for a change of mind! 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to FAO Sky Staff:
    Slipwater and I are doing a 24hour poker session on Saturday for cancer research. Just to ask if all rake (paid by us) can be donated to the Charity, by way of a donation from Sky. If this could please be passed onto senior management. Thanks
    Posted by LARSON7
    That would be so great if Sky agree to this.  Otherwise a lot of money that you'll be raising for the charity will I suspect just be added to Sky's profit figures instead :(   Would be a great pity to see that happen.

Best of luck on Saturday - I'll try to pop along to donate my chips/money too - but if Sky are making money from it then I'm prob better off donating direct?
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky Staff:
    In Response to FAO Sky Staff : That would be so great if Sky agree to this.  Otherwise a lot of money that you'll be raising for the charity will I suspect just be added to Sky's profit figures instead :(   Would be a great pity to see that happen. Best of luck on Saturday - I'll try to pop along to donate my chips/money too - but if Sky are making money from it then I'm prob better off donating direct?
    Posted by IrishRose
    Yeah, it's a tricky one, innit?

Hopefully the powers that be will turn a blind eye to the rake on Saturday. I am quietly hopeful... ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Is a nominal donation from Sky not a better idea? 

Yeah, would be a nice gesture if they agreed, but is the business gonna give up 24 hrs rake? Really? 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky Staff:
    Is a nominal donation from Sky not a better idea?  Yeah, would be a nice gesture if they agreed, but is the business gonna give up 24 hrs rake? Really? 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    A nominal donation from Sky would be fine.

Better would be 24 hours of rake for 2 players, which seems sensible giving that it is for charity.
  • edited December 2013
    Even better would be if Sky held an annual charity event, this could be the inaugural one.
  • edited December 2013
    Things like this have cropped up before when players have suggested a charity tournament for things like the Tsunami or the Japanese nuclear disaster. Sky's viewpoint is that players are free to donate to any charity they like but Sky as an organisation already have their chosen charities which they make donations to. So to get them to contribute the rake I feel is a long shot.
  • edited December 2013

Morning Larson.

I doubt anyone from Upstairs will reply to this, it is all a bit awkward really, & I'm certainly not their spokesperson, but Daggy has got it about right.

Sky Poker get hundreds of Charity requests, literally, every year. Sky Poker are a significant but quite small part of SB&G. So Sky Vegas also get a similar number. So do Sky Bingo, Oddschecker, & then just try to imagine how many Sky Bet get.....

Now move up a level, to Big Sky, BSKYB.  They have hundreds of Companies in the Group, & they ALL get lots of charity requests.

So, to ensure that Charity money gets properly organised, given to reputable charities, & to exert some control over areas where, if left to Local Manageement, it would be uncontrollable, there is a sort of "Charity Policy" within the Business, & there is also, every year, a nominated Charity Partner.

The Group then uses its clout to raise awareness, offer programming & exposure, & it matches donations received on a 1 for 1 basis.

Many of the Charities it works with are envorinmentally or wildlife based, & the Group has a stringent "green" policy. 

Here's a recent example.....

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/Fundraising/article/1183008/business-charity-awards-charity-partnership-winner-bskyb-wwf/

I hope that all makes some sense.

You are doing a wonderful thing there, that is not in doubt for a moment

I'm speaking personally, I certainly don't have the remit to answer on behalf of the Business, but it was troubling me that the thread was here, & needed a response.  

• edited December 2013
    Morning Tikay

Thanks for the response.

I never realised Sky would get so many Charity requests, but of course makes sense.

I had an official response saying it was not possible given the reasons above.

The reason I decided on doing this (with my initial thread) and then this joint venture with Slipwater was because in my over a year on the forum I had never seen any Charity events (forum based), I found out at the SPT about MacMonster's fundraising, which I must have missed on here.

I think it would be a great idea for Skypoker specifically maybe to have an Annual Charity event, supported by Skypoker and involving the community.

I'm abosultely astounded at the generosity of everyone from the community. So far we have raised over £500 for Cancer Research, with a couple of days to go to the event.

It may not be possible to do an annual event, but certainly maybe something Skypoker could look into.
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks for the reply Tikay...

...now swing on by and chuck a few quid to it ;)

Cheers,
    Susan
  • edited December 2013
    If you are looking to save on rake then why not just use the free play tables then regs can join you there.