You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i be just take the free card

edited December 2013 in The Poker Clinic

it's the same problem every time at night i try a value bet with what looks a good hand and instead see a jam, now these are the same villians who will limp call preflop so unless i know they are a maniac the chances are they have the nuts. if it were against the passive type who try and trap me then i would bet but against the aggro who will jam right away should i just do the check on the turn and take the free card when the board is so dangerous.

xSmall blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.83
tonetana Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.68
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

craigcu12 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £7.62
hotangel12 Call  £0.16 £0.38 £4.09
Aidan001 Fold     
electroace Call  £0.14 £0.52 £4.69
tonetana Call  £0.12 £0.64 £4.56
Flop

• A
  • J

xCheck     
tonetana Check     
craigcu12 Check     
hotangel12 Bet  £0.04 £0.68 £4.05
xRaise  £0.24 £0.92 £4.45
tonetana Fold     
craigcu12 call £0.24 £1.16 £7.38
hotangel12 Fold     
Turn

• K

xCheck     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.58 £1.74 £6.80
xAll-in  £4.45 £6.19 £0.00
craigcu12  

Comments

• edited December 2013

No value bet here, and fold to a raise, if we had 100 bb I would fold here.

Given our stack happily getting it in.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: should i be just take the free card:
    No value bet here, and fold to a raise, if we had 100 bb I would fold here. Given our stack happily getting it in.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Your decision should not be affected by whether your up/down on your session or not. It's important to just make as many good +ev decisions as possible regardless. It shouldn't matter whether your 10bi up or 10bi down just try and play every hand as profitably as possible.

Check turn :)
  • edited December 2013
    why did you call the flop?

this guy cold called pre from the small blind and checked raised 4 way.

flop is an easy fold
    turn is an easier check back and evaluate the river, as played fold.

• edited December 2013
    Just seen the stack sizes you are well stacked.

I would bet and fold to a big re-raise.

Maybe checking the turn is best to see a free card.

However, I would have folded the flop with the action, raise and a re-raise.

Hope you binked your card on the river.
  • edited December 2013
    Either fold the flop
    or as the initial aggressor take a bet/fold approach
    but c/c doesn't really help you know where you are
    you are left with only 3 Qs to really hope for
    you are not priced in for a passive approach
    ps not nl4 specific
  • edited December 2013

although it was a mistake and i should have folded the flop as i would have been behind.

i just didn't like it having to toss away yet another hand all because of another 4p bluff.

what i thought to myself when i called was if i knew that the player on the button was another who has a habit of doing 4p donks i would have did a 16pcbet myself anyway.

• edited December 2013
    You're not facing a '4p bluff' though, you're facing the 4p bet AND someone else who has check/raised to 24p.

What hands do you think they would check/raise on this board? How many are you you ahead of, how many are you behind to?
  • edited December 2013

i understand the flop being a mistake to call when i know they will be not betting without it.
    i should have thought more about how much extra i have saved by checking rather than thinking about how much i would cbet if OOP to that 4p donk next.

• edited December 2013
    Yeah, at the 2p/4p level you are almost always beaten here on the flop by at least one of them, if not both. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 4p bet had a small ace and the 24p raiser had A10 or AQ.