You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

**Omaha** Did I play this right?

I'm a beginner at Omaha, but with this hand, i had up and down str8 flush draw, 2nd nut flush draw as well as a pair in the hand. Am i right here to get as many chips in the middle as possible? All responses welcome (I'm not being results orientated, like I said im a beginner and want to know if I played this right.
itsuptoyou Small blind   25.00 25.00 525.00
wsc1960 Big blind   50.00 75.00 1800.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

indy147 Call   50.00 125.00 3190.00
metalmicky Call   50.00 175.00 2248.13
FlashFlush Call   50.00 225.00 2512.50
tiggertoo Call   50.00 275.00 4525.00
itsuptoyou Call   25.00 300.00 500.00
wsc1960 Check        
Flop

• J

itsuptoyou Check        
wsc1960 Check        
indy147 Check        
metalmicky Bet   225.00 525.00 2023.13
FlashFlush Raise   975.00 1500.00 1537.50
tiggertoo Fold        
itsuptoyou Fold        
wsc1960 Fold        
indy147 Fold        
metalmicky Call   750.00 2250.00 1273.13
Turn

• Q

metalmicky Check        
FlashFlush All-in   1537.50 3787.50 0.00
metalmicky All-in   1273.13 5060.63 0.00
FlashFlush Unmatched bet   264.37 4796.26 264.37
metalmicky Show
  • K

FlashFlush Show
  • K

River

• J

metalmicky Win Full House, 3s and Jacks 4796.26   4796.26

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Hi Charles,
    I to am a fairly new player to Omaha, but that's never stopped me from having my opinion, so here goes.
    I might have just called the flop, after all you only have second pair and some draws. You are behind, at the moment to any pair of jacks, fours, or threes, and the nut flush draw.
    I think that, in Omaha, it is very dangerous to get to busy with just draws but I suppose you could look at the implied odds of you hitting to make your play, but someone who understands the game more than me can give you a more detailed answer.
    My only reservation is if this was in a DYM, then I would say you were to aggressive, but what do I know m8

col
  • edited December 2009
    I can't say that I'm the world's best at Omaha but here are my thoughts.

On the flop, I like your play. You have a VERY strong hand and, even though he has a set, you are almost exactly 50% to win the hand. Your opponent will fold here a lot of the time.
    On the turn, in position, I would take the free card. Your opponent has indicated that he's unlikely to pass and you are now only 35% to win. Your raise on the flop has gained you a free card so take it.

As I'm sure you realise, your hole pair is pretty much worthless in this hand.
  • edited December 2009
    For what it's worth, if I was your opponent I would have pushed on the turn.
    If he thinks that he's ahead on the flop and is pot controlling against a big draw like yours then the turn card can't have helped you (unless you hold QQ) so he should shove and make sure you don't have a free card for your draw.
    If he thinks that he's behind to a bigger set on the flop then he should pass since he has a one-outer.
  • edited December 2009
    Like both have said perviously im very very very rubbish at Omaha, but i would never put all my chips in on a draw (Even though is is a Straight Flush Draw).

The lad has called your raise on the flop, and then checked on the turn, so in omaha i'd be taking that free card every day of the week.
  • edited December 2009
      I personnally like your bet on the flop but as vince said shutting down on the turn was the best option whilst on a draw. Do not get carried away by the draws you had though anopen ended straight flush draw is only a 2 outer. The flush draw you had was only the second nuts which is always a little suspect in these situations and also remember that you had one of your outs in your hand by having 3 spades in it.
     On the turn you had absolute air and decided to put your tournament on the line to hit what you thought was an 8 outer. If you are going to take a risk try to do it with a hand like your opponent had, bottom set and an OESD. One of the key elements to omaha is if you are going to chase a draw down the streets make sure that it is at least the nut draw.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: **Omaha** Did I play this right?:
      I personnally like your bet on the flop but as vince said shutting down on the turn was the best option whilst on a draw. Do not get carried away by the draws you had though anopen ended straight flush draw is only a 2 outer. The flush draw you had was only the second nuts which is always a little suspect in these situations and also remember that you had one of your outs in your hand by having 3 spades in it.  On the turn you had absolute air and decided to put your tournament on the line to hit what you thought was an 8 outer. If you are going to take a risk try to do it with a hand like your opponent had, bottom set and an OESD. One of the key elements to omaha is if you are going to chase a draw down the streets make sure that it is at least the nut draw.
    Posted by Talon
    Hi Col
    The way i said i might have played it was to control the pot and protecting the allin move on the turn.
    So would it not be better to ere on the side of caution with this hand, and then spring the trap when you hit.
    IMO, the other player was saying, when he called the reraise, that he was going all the way.

col
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: **Omaha** Did I play this right? : Hi Col The way i said i might have played it was to control the pot and protecting the allin move on the turn. So would it not be better to ere on the side of caution with this hand, and then spring the trap when you hit. IMO, the other player was saying, when he called the reraise, that he was going all the way. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
     Erring on the side of caution is always a good option when on a big draw, though  different in cash play.Wait until you pretty much have a lock down before getting the chips in.The bluff or semi-bluff is a very good tool in holdem but is not as good in omaha and should be avoided until your game improves and you have good reads on your opponents.
  • edited December 2009
    FWIW - Should never have been in the hand, poor hand and OOP.

Drawing to anything but the nuts is also -EV.

GL
  • edited December 2009
    FWIW - Should never have been in the hand, poor hand and OOP. Drawing to anything but the nuts is also -EV. GL
    Posted by Rubes375
    I 2ND THIS
  • edited December 2009
    4 good tips, play hands were all four cards can work together, dont raise preflop from up front position, only draw to the nuts and position is very important, more so than in any other game
  • edited December 2009
    I wouldn't call the cut-off OOP personally.
  • edited December 2009
    I wouldn't call the cut-off OOP personally.
    Posted by MereNovice
    well spotted sherlock
  • edited December 2009
    i dont like your hand preflop... you are going to hit low straight, 2nd nut flush, low set... all of these could get you stacked... omaha is a game of the nuts and you want hands that can draw to the nuts. I think you played it fine post flop but just be wary of players calling you down with hands like bottom set/2 pair... it happens a lot.