You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread

edited March 2014 in Betting Chat
Colbert Station 25/1

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Ok I'll close the other thread and jump on this one with Mr Wynne. £100 ew On His Own 40/1 1st bet. I'll top it up from any winnings on my ew bet on Dynaste for the King George. 
  • edited December 2013
    wow nice bet joesman1, but i thought u was going to swerve ON HIS OWN in this years national?

what changed your mind?  or did you allways intend to give him one last chance?

Gl all with picks this year (you all know what mine is).
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread:
    wow nice bet joesman1, but i thought u was going to swerve ON HIS OWN in this years national? what changed your mind?  or did you allways intend to give him one last chance? Gl all with picks this year (you all know what mine is).
    Posted by ms-tree
    What is it!

I will add another couple later ,when the time is right!

Cannot rely on just one horse!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread : What is it! I will add another couple later ,when the time is right! Cannot rely on just one horse!
    Posted by wynne1938
    ms -tree also on On His Own
  • edited December 2013
    wow nice bet joesman1, but i thought u was going to swerve ON HIS OWN in this years national? what changed your mind?  or did you allways intend to give him one last chance? Gl all with picks this year (you all know what mine is).
    Posted by ms-tree
    I'll be honest, was swerving it til it's run last week. And then reading one or two's experts opinions on its run. Defo was looking after it and giving it a confidence booster. 40/1 very fair price. That plus the fact I couldn't let it go and watch it run, fearing the worse. 
  • edited December 2013
    Did that include my expert opinion, as i posted 2 mins after race :-)

We will all see but it will not be 40/1 on the day, that is one thing i can be sure on.

Gl with your national selections.
  • edited December 2013
    Did that include my expert opinion, as i posted 2 mins after race :-) We will all see but it will not be 40/1 on the day, that is one thing i can be sure on. Gl with your national selections.
    Posted by ms-tree
    Lol yes yours... And the Racing Posts Monday Jury. 
  • edited January 2014
    Across The bay 33/1

Tofino Bay 25/1

Alfie Sherrin 33/1
  • edited January 2014
    GIVE YOU ALL A GOOD LAUGH BEING THE SENTIMENTAL OLD T**T THAT I AM.

TIDAL BAY, LONG RUN.
  • edited January 2014

Monbeg Dude @ 34.00/1 
  • edited January 2014
    I think it's very significant that Mullins running Vespers Bell and not On His Own tomorrow. Tells me he's gonna keep it away from chases til the weights are published next month. Then poss' run it in the Bobbyjo Chase or something similar.
  • edited January 2014
    I think it's very significant that Mullins running Vespers Bell and not On His Own tomorrow. Tells me he's gonna keep it away from chases til the weights are published next month. Then poss' run it in the Bobbyjo Chase or something similar.
    Posted by joesman1
    your getting obsessed with this horse and your not on your own LOL

Were is your naps table entry? 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread : your getting obsessed with this horse and your not on your own LOL Were is your naps table entry? 
    Posted by vaigret
    Never even knew there was a comp on? What/where/when? U can tell I'm busy with work atm.
  • edited January 2014
    I think the betting AND riding arrangements today suggest it's just a jog round to keep fit.  Ill watch the race when I get in tonight..
  • edited January 2014
    I think the betting AND riding arrangements today suggest it's just a jog round to keep fit.  Ill watch the race when I get in tonight..
    Posted by joesman1
    Did you back it!

I see it won @12/1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon led, slow 6th and joined briefly, over 1 length clear halfway, mistake 4 out and headed, regained advantage before next, edged left before 2 out where jumped right, wandered before last and jumped right again, stayed on well under pressure
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread : Did you back it! I see it won @12/1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon led, slow 6th and joined briefly, over 1 length clear halfway, mistake 4 out and headed, regained advantage before next, edged left before 2 out where jumped right, wandered before last and jumped right again, stayed on well under pressure
    Posted by wynne1938

Please tell me you were on it Neil
  • edited January 2014
    See above thread Terry... Not much I'm afraid
  • edited January 2014
    well done I was just worried you had left it alone.Small is better than none at all
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread:
    Colbert Station 25/1
    Posted by wynne1938
    Leopardstown 2.50 (25/1/14) 11/1 x

Raced in mid-division until headway to chase leaders 4 out, progress into 3rd next, weakened run-in (op 10/1)
  • edited February 2014

I see Monbeg dude has dropped dramatically in price for this let`s hope he wins backed it at 34s
  • edited February 2014
      I see Monbeg dude has dropped dramatically in price for this let`s hope he wins backed it at 34s
    Posted by ianm7310
    Weights out on Tuesday. Racing Post Pricewise Segal gives his verdict on Weds. Might be word be out that's gonna be his fancy.

As for my fella, when he won the other day he was running off 142. Irish Hcper put him up to 153 after that. He ran at Aintree in Nov off 144. He's ran in the last 2 Nationals off 148. So I'm gonna take a stab that he wil leave him on 148 for the 3rd year running. That wil put him on approx 11st as I think he wil put Tidal Bay and Long Run on approx 158. 

If mine runs and wins in one of the National Trials this w/e he could be as much as 10lbs well in. But that's a big IF. 

Edit:- just noticed he's on 155 for the Haydock National Trial. Been hammered fir that win. Can't see him getting away with another 148 now. 
  • edited February 2014
    Across The bay 33/1 Tofino Bay 25/1 Alfie Sherrin 33/1
    Posted by wynne1938
    Running in the 2.55 at haydock Across the Bay 12/1(15/2/14) x

In rear, driven along 5th, behind from 13th, blundered and unseated rider 16th (op 14/1)   
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread : Weights out on Tuesday. Racing Post Pricewise Segal gives his verdict on Weds. Might be word be out that's gonna be his fancy. As for my fella, when he won the other day he was running off 142. Irish Hcper put him up to 153 after that. He ran at Aintree in Nov off 144. He's ran in the last 2 Nationals off 148. So I'm gonna take a stab that he wil leave him on 148 for the 3rd year running. That wil put him on approx 11st as I think he wil put Tidal Bay and Long Run on approx 158.  If mine runs and wins in one of the National Trials this w/e he could be as much as 10lbs well in. But that's a big IF.  Edit:- just noticed he's on 155 for the Haydock National Trial. Been hammered fir that win. Can't see him getting away with another 148 now. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Nothing to add but all systems go now. Won with plenty in hand today. Now just hope it runs better than last year. Difference this year is that it's a much fitter horse having had 3 runs since November. 

Still annoyed at its 153 rating, it's ran the last two nationals off 148, and is ridiculously 8Ibs worse off with Teafiorthree that finished 3rd last year!!!
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread : Nothing to add but all systems go now. Won with plenty in hand today. Now just hope it runs better than last year. Difference this year is that it's a much fitter horse having had 3 runs since November.  Still annoyed at its 153 rating, it's ran the last two nationals off 148, and is ridiculously 8Ibs worse off with Teafiorthree that finished 3rd last year!!!
    Posted by joesman1
    Ffs u couldn't make this up. After I've ranted on for two years about this horse being far better than its rating suggested, it now seems Mullins agrees. He's on about by-passing The National, and going for The Punchestown Gold Cup. He's thinking of letting Prince De Beauchene represent him and Wylie instead. Absoloutley Marvelous!!

The only possible saving grace is that most of my Ante Post bets on him this year are with Bet Victor, and there was a message which read... 'non runner = free bet'. Though I suspect there might be restrictions on that...
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread : Ffs u couldn't make this up. After I've ranted on for two years about this horse being far better than its rating suggested, it now seems Mullins agrees. He's on about by-passing The National, and going for The Punchestown Gold Cup. He's thinking of letting Prince De Beauchene represent him and Wylie instead. Absoloutley Marvelous!! The only possible saving grace is that most of my Ante a Post bets on him this year are with Bet Victor, and there was a message which read... 'non runner = free bet'. Though I suspect there might be restrictions on that...
    Posted by joesman1
    Just read the same thing and was going to give you the good news but I see you beat me to it LOL

The joys of ante post!!!!!!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Grand National 2014 Antepost betting thread:
    Colbert Station 25/1
    Posted by wynne1938
    Running in the 4.20 Leopardstown (02/3/14) 7/1 x

Waited with towards rear, took keen hold, 10th halfway, some headway before 10th, still in touch and ridden in 7th before 2 out where fell (op 7/1)
  • edited March 2014
    So from a plodding on Hcp'er, On His Own has become a live Gold Cup contender. In a way I'm patting myself on the back for keeping the faith.

Can't decide if that's good or bad news for my bet. I guess if it runs v well and places, he would find it v hard not to run him in The National off 11st 3Ibs. But if it runs poorly, he may decide it needs a rest, and keep it for Punchestown at the end of April.

Fwiw if they run a market 'without the top 2', I'd be very interested in backing it for The Gold Cup. The 3rd fav may have been v flattered in Ireland last time out. The 4th fav is prob unlikely to run if it isn't officially soft going. There isn't much depth beyond that, and I know On His Own will love that uphill finish. 
  • edited March 2014
    Across The bay 33/1 Tofino Bay 25/1 Alfie Sherrin 33/1
    Posted by wynne1938
    Alfie Sherrin running in th e2.40 Cheltenham(11/3/14) 8/1 x

Held up towards rear, mistake 2nd, headway approaching 12th, soon in midfield, ridden to chase leaders approaching 2 out, no impression, one pace after (op 8/1)