You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi I play a pub game once a week,start stk 5k blinds start at 50-100  15 min blinds.so basically if u let 3 levels go through you that's 1250 gone,peole say shove wid 10 bigs but at this time some of the chip leaders only have 15-20 bigs, any thoughts on strategy and wen to get the chips in any advice appreciated

Comments

• edited December 2013
    If it the pub game I think you mean the best approach is to play tight tight tight for the first 3/4 blind levels... No QJ KJ or even AJ type of hands only be playing made hands or AK and don't even go mad with that if you miss the flop! If you haven't built up a stack or just been card dead by the 5th blind level change your tactic completely and loosen up and try and get it in with paint... The blind levels kill you in this game!

So like I say id play tight for the first 4 blind levels and then go gung ho after that

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Advice:
    Hi I play a pub game once a week,start stk 5k blinds start at 50-100  15 min blinds.so basically if u let 3 levels go through you that's 1250 gone,peole say shove wid 10 bigs but at this time some of the chip leaders only have 15-20 bigs, any thoughts on strategy and wen to get the chips in any advice appreciated
    Posted by lizzard777
    Hi Lizzard.

Treat it like a Turbo......Sit tight, don't go making any loose calls. Play premium hands only and play them aggressively, raise BIG to narrow the field and don't be afraid to get those chips over the line.

It may be an idea to play the "Turbo Tuesday" main event at just £11 or even the mini event at just £5.50 - its great practice for trying the aggressive approach with premium hands in this type of format.

If you find you are card dead, then use the "all-in with pictures" approach to try and steal a few blinds - you will be surprised at how many times you will get it through and if you get called you will never be in bad shape.

Best of Luck. 
  • edited December 2013
    To be honest, most pub games I have played (and I used to play under a league format) have been fairly soft, and conventional poker wisdom like the 'ten big blinds, get it in' doesn't really apply in those instances. A lot of those guys will wait for premium hands, or call you down with any ace, because they don't understand why these may be losing plays in the long run.

I agree with Clinton and Trev to a degree, but I think - if you are relatively competent - you can afford to be a little looser in pub games, with speculative hands.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Advice:
    To be honest, most pub games I have played (and I used to play under a league format) have been fairly soft, and conventional poker wisdom like the 'ten big blinds, get it in' doesn't really apply in those instances. A lot of those guys will wait for premium hands, or call you down with any ace, because they don't understand why these may be losing plays in the long run. I agree with Clinton and Trev to a degree, but I think - if you are relatively competent - you can afford to be a little looser in pub games, with speculative hands.
    Posted by Slipwater
    This is a good point........

We really should take table dynamics into account too. So if the table is pretty soft and we think we can get our raises through pre or post flop with more speculative hands, then I don't mind that approach either.

We don't always have to wait for a premium hand to take down a pot if we feel we can outplay our opponents at the table.
  • edited December 2013
    The Nuts pub poker league? FANTASTIC fun, really really great fun. Just enjoy it, you have your socially inept geeks that play online 20 hours a day thinking they can "crush" the Nuts poker. Ignore them, and have a fantastic time.
  • edited December 2013
    The Nuts pub poker league? FANTASTIC fun, really really great fun. Just enjoy it, you have your socially inept geeks that play online 20 hours a day thinking they can "crush" the Nuts poker. Ignore them, and have a fantastic time.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    Well, nobody in this thread has said that they could 'crush' anything, but of course, enjoyment is the number one priority :)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Advice : Well, nobody in this thread has said that they could 'crush' anything, but of course, enjoyment is the number one priority :)
    Posted by Slipwater
    I meant at the actual event, Every Nutss pub game has someone who thinks they're going to show how amazing they are at poker, but never usually comes in the pub. Never realising what a pr4t everyone thinks they are.
  • edited December 2013
    thanks guys and just wondering if idonkcallu can really play lol with tha advice
  • edited December 2013
    thanks guys and just wondering if idonkcallu can really play lol with tha advice
    Posted by lizzard777
    Don't worry - a lot of us wonder the same thing.
  • edited December 2013
    lol u be suprised :)