You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The main reason I love poker is because..

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
... it requires both skill and luck, meaning that anyone can win - but there are ways to give yourself and edge.

For example, the worst player in the World could win a major MTT whereas the most talented player in the World could finish last!

Would love to know your reasons too!

Comments

• edited December 2013
    It would be a very long time before 'the worst player in the world' could win a major MTT.

As you said, poker requires both skill and luck, and if you have very little of the former, you will need a truckload of the latter to come anywhere close to taking down something larger than a six-max sit 'n' go.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: The main reason I love poker is because..:
    It would be a very long time before 'the worst player in the world' could win a major MTT. As you said, poker requires both skill and luck, and if you have very little of the former, you will need a truckload of the latter to come anywhere close to taking down something larger than a six-max sit 'n' go.
    Posted by Slipwater
    True, but it is possible - and that's the beauty of the game in my eyes! To extend the example, let's say we have the worst footballer in the World, there is no way he is going to ever win a World Cup because he'll never get in the national team. However with poker, the worst player in the World can have a shot at the WSOP main event should they wish :-)

"poker requires both skill and luck, and if you have very little of the former, you will need a truckload of the latter to come anywhere close to taking down something larger than a six-max sit 'n' go."

You just described me :D
  • edited December 2013
    It would be a very long time before 'the worst player in the world' could win a major MTT. As you said, poker requires both skill and luck, and if you have very little of the former, you will need a truckload of the latter to come anywhere close to taking down something larger than a six-max sit 'n' go.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Orford once won an SPT Sidey, I guess the exception proves the rule.

Even CTBN won a sidey once. Two exceptions.

• edited December 2013
    I agree with your post in principle, but I still don't believe you can win anything with zero skill. You have to be in possession of a modicum of poker intelligence to win (even small) tournaments.
  • edited December 2013
    I agree with your post in principle, but I still don't believe you can win anything with zero skill. You have to be in possession of a modicum of poker intelligence to win (even small) tournaments.
    Posted by Slipwater
    So explain to me how Orford & CTBN ever won anything?

Orford has less skill than a bag of cement, & if CTBN were concrete, he'd be crazy-paving.
  • edited December 2013

The main reason I love poker is because..

to win £££££££££

• edited December 2013
    Tbf, I came 2nd in a 3500+ runner field on 'the big site' when I first started playing at 18, it was literally probably like the 10th game of any sort of online hold 'em I'd ever played.

Literally everything I knew was from watching Late Night Poker, so very little, I knew very basic things about hand selection preflop and that was about it lol.

It was only a 10cent MTT and I got $200. I must have ran so insanely good but I really dont remember now.
  • edited December 2013
    The luck factor in poker is absolutely HUGE in the short term.... long term it's close to non existent but we don't play in the long term when we play 1 game.

Like if I played the best chess player in the world for 100 games of chess, I would lose 100 games.

If I played Phil Ivey at HU Turbo SnGs for 100 games, I'd lose, but probably close to like 60/40 in his favour, and sometimes just sometimes, I'd run good enough to get the better of him over 100 games. That would never happen in chess.
  • edited December 2013
  • edited December 2013
    I agree Lambert, but I was taking the post a little more literally. I think if you were a very bad player - not even 'the worst player in the world' - you'd wait a long time to take down a major event. Luck takes you so far, but I ain't sure you can bank on picking up a bracelet without a little skill.
  • edited December 2013
    The babes.
    Posted by gazza127
    They crowd around your laptop too? I thought that just happened to me.
  • edited December 2013
    I know what you're trying to say Slip, but it is a fact that it is possible, however unlikely it may be! In the same way it is possible to win an MTT by not looking at any cards and just selecting the right combination of Check, Fold or Raise :-)
  • edited December 2013
    I can play the @2.20 DEEPSTACK EVERY AFTERNOON AND CAN PLAY SOME GREAT PLAYERS FOR ONLY £2.20
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited December 2013
    I know what you're trying to say Slip, but it is a fact that it is possible , however unlikely it may be! In the same way it is possible to win an MTT by not looking at any cards and just selecting the right combination of Check, Fold or Raise :-)
    Posted by peter27
    A lot of things are technically possible, Peter. I could become Prime Minister. I could win the Olympic Marathon in Rio in 2016. I could learn to play guitar and perform a duel on stage with Steve Vai. I could win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor alongside Tom Hanks. All of these things have some kind of likelihood attached to them. But there comes a point where you just shrug and say: never gonna happen.

The problem is (I guess) that as soon as you play one tournament you have gained some skill, so the longer you try to win, the more chance you have, so the question almost defeats itself from the outset, because the person would have to win on their first attempt (unless they have a problem with memory retention, but that's another issue...)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: The main reason I love poker is because.. : A lot of things are technically possible , Peter. I could become Prime Minister. I could win the Olympic Marathon in Rio in 2016. I could learn to play guitar and perform a duel on stage with Steve Vai. I could win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor alongside Tom Hanks. All of these things have some kind of likelihood attached to them. But there comes a point where you just shrug and say: never gonna happen. The problem is (I guess) that as soon as you play one tournament you have gained some skill, so the longer you try to win, the more chance you have, so the question almost defeats itself from the outset, because the person would have to win on their first attempt (unless they have a problem with memory retention, but that's another issue...)
    Posted by Slipwater
    Slip water I'm loving your reasoning which makes perfect sense to me and made me smile which is in itself a wonderful talent you have as I'm a right old cynic. On the same topic I made it to the wsop main event on a free roll gained from poker points on another site in my poker infancy in 2010,needless to say I didn't win the thing but it was one of those things I need to do wish list malarkies. Tc and hope you run good.
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks Tom - I'm just a black-is-white kinda guy. The Wife always says I argue for the sake of it, but in this case, I believe what I'm saying :)

And thanks for throwing a small spanner into my point!
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks Tom - I'm just a black-is-white kinda guy. The Wife always says I argue for the sake of it, but in this case, I believe what I'm saying :) And thanks for throwing a small spanner into my point!
    Posted by Slipwater
    No you don't :)
    Big spanner.

Be good to hear more about your experience, Tom
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: The main reason I love poker is because.. : No you don't :) Big spanner. Be good to hear more about your experience, Tom
    Posted by Jac35
    Lol to My wife says I argue for sake of it- are you my twin perchance. Hi Jac, if the chaps on the 2 quid deepy saw your post about expanding on the subject I reckon there would be an outcry of PLEASE NO More :) A small snippet though. There were 1412 runners and it paid 4 packages of 15k dollars( 10k entry plus 2k in my account for air travel,rest on hotel Rio and excursions)It was surreal as I am a small stakes player, but tbh I wasn't overawed at all, prob due to ignorance of the whole poker scene.If you've ever seen wsop on tv I can assure you it is totally different live there, I was sat at the table and there were hundreds...nay thousands just standing watching, mind you the calls of Ivey Ivey Ivey got a tad tiresome.I played the same game as I play in the 2 quid lol, and managed to knock 1 chap out on day 1 with an outrageous raise pre flop an hitting the flush wi my q5 hrts v his aq 2pairI was  interviewed and its on youtube ,warning though- I had been playing all day and was k nackered...
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: The main reason I love poker is because.. : Lol to My wife says I argue for sake of it- are you my twin perchance. Hi Jac, if the chaps on the 2 quid deepy saw your post about expanding on the subject I reckon there would be an outcry of PLEASE NO More :) A small snippet though. There were 1412 runners and it paid 4 packages of 15k dollars( 10k entry plus 2k in my account for air travel,rest on hotel Rio and excursions)It was surreal as I am a small stakes player, but tbh I wasn't overawed at all, prob due to ignorance of the whole poker scene.If you've ever seen wsop on tv I can assure you it is totally different live there, I was sat at the table and there were hundreds...nay thousands just standing watching, mind you the calls of Ivey Ivey Ivey got a tad tiresome.I played the same game as I play in the 2 quid lol, and managed to knock 1 chap out on day 1 with an outrageous raise pre flop an hitting the flush wi my q5 hrts v his aq 2pairI was  interviewed and its on youtube ,warning though- I had been playing all day and was k nackered...
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Great story Tom
    What a buzz that must have been, when the final hand in the sat had played out and "congratulations, you're off to Vegas" cane up on the screen.
  • edited December 2013

I love it because Red and Black are my favourite colours and once i learn to count i will be able to play with all the cards not just the ones with the pretty pictures on. Mrs Bun the Bakers Wife is my favourite. Nice Baps!

• edited December 2013

I love poker because of the way it can control people.

From $50/100 cash game pros to £1 deepstack recreational fish, and everyone inbetween, it just drives people crackers!

<3

• edited December 2013
    Posted by Slipwater
    Pretty sure a poker pro staked his daughter for a tournament and told her only to play specific cardsand she cashed with no tournament experience