You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM Difficulty?

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi everyone!

I've recently started upping the stakes I play at in the DYM games and have noticed something quite peculiar, that some of the higher stakes games tend to have much easier fields than the super micro games?! I have seen other people say this in the past and assumed it to be garbage - luck, variance, assumptions made on tiny sample sizes etc, so was very surprised to experience the same thing myself. 

My thoughts on this right now are, it seems many players in the 0.30/0.60/1.15 buyins are quite desperate to make a win, perhaps they won a few pennies in a freeroll (I've often seen other players who cashed along with myself in a freeroll in these low buyin games) and are trying to build it up to enough to play something worthwhile. 

On the other hand, the "low" stakes games, like 2.20/3.30/5.50 I think are being frequented by a lot of recreational players, ie those with a little disposable income and just enjoy playing the game so don't mind losing the odd buyin or two. 

It does make me think, are the type of player seeking out freerolls to try and build a roll really likely to be a talented group? Afterall, if they were why would they not have a bankroll? But at the same time there are often periods of a few days each month where I cannot afford to make a deposit and so will use up my poker points winning a few pounds here and there and trying to work it up into enough to play my regular 5.50 buy in games, so I kind of understand the place they might just be in.

Sorry if I have rambled a little but really I guess my point is, I'd like to hear any views, opinions and experiences of how you find the difficulty and players of DYMs? BTW, I can't comment on the players in the medium/high stakes games as I am yet to try them but would be very interested to hear comments on how those compare as intend to try them soon.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I've said this a few times and got shouted down, it turns out some of this sites best players are just big loose bluffers. Hence winning on higher value DYM's is easier than the very tight lower value DYM's.
  • edited December 2013
    i find the bigger buy in dyms easier to win then the lower stakes 1s
  • edited December 2013
    I've played quite a few of these recently at various levels, so I feel qualified (to a point) to comment here. 

I've played a number of £22 and £11 DYMs recently. Win rate slightly better on £11. Played 1 £33 and cashed, but not been higher than that (rarely see a game going on at higher levels).

I'm in profit at the £11 and £22 level but in loss at all lower levels. 

However I don't think the play is 'easier' as such at higher levels, just different. It's a different game against different people and some people will be more suited to it than others.

At lower levels you have a lot more people willing to take a gamble (as you implied in your post). So let's say you're holding AQ and someone limps in. You then raise them up...you'll then find them playing crazy plays like going all in against you.

Then you're in the difficult situation of deciding whether to go down to what might be a coin flip, or to fold and be down on your chips.

At higher levels I haven't seen this sort of thing nearly as much, not until later levels when the blinds force the action.

Feel free to take this with a pinch of salt because my volume isn't exactly 1000s of games. The best way is just to decide for yourself really, regardless of what anyone says on here. If you can win at higher stakes, then happy days! Doesn't really matter why or how!
  • edited December 2013
       I think its to do with what people can afford to lose m8. I only play 60p dyms (not very good) but I could name some good players who play them and I am sure they would look after their self at higher stakes up to £10 . Another thought might be that their poker pals are in that section as well so they can have a chat and a laugh . I play 60p ones because its all I can afford and I get loads of games for £5 with a few wins (0K WIN THEN) :)
  • edited December 2013
    The big difference is the rake, not the standard.

Probably slightly tougher as you move up, maybe not massively, but if the rake was the same at all levels your roi would slightly decrease as you move up assuming the sample sizes are conclusive.

As a dym novice I would have a higher roi @ £22 games than 60p games if I played a large sample of each right now because 10% rake is beatable, 20% isn't.
  • edited December 2013
    I've played every level of DYM up to £5 recently and personally I've seen no difference in the standard of play. Well, that is excluding the 30p level where it seems to just be all-in with any two every hand at times :p

However, I have heard many people say that DYM's are easier at higher levels ... surely there must be some truth in that if quite a few people agree.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM Difficulty?:
    I've played every level of DYM up to £5 recently and personally I've seen no difference in the standard of play. Well, that is excluding the 30p level where it seems to just be all-in with any two every hand at times :p However, I have heard many people say that DYM's are easier at higher levels ... surely there must be some truth in that if quite a few people agree.
    Posted by peter27
    From my admittedly small sample size I think the tipping point is the £11 game and up. My personal preference at the moment is £22. £5 and lower and I really struggle. Not that it's harder at the lower levels, but I don't think it suits my game as much. Either that or perhaps it's me that plays more badly because there's not as much at stake and I find it hard to care as much.

There is no way when I play a £22 game that I'm thinking 'oh I'll just have a little gamble on calling this all-in'.

It's counter intuitive but I would actually suggest (assuming you can afford to lose it) having an experiment at higher stakes and see how you get on. It's definitely not a linear progression (as in £11 being twice as hard as £5.50, and £22 twice as hard as £11, etc).
  • edited December 2013
    Table selection is key in the higher dyms avoid the regs and ya do alright
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: DYM Difficulty?:
    Table selection is key in the higher dyms avoid the regs and ya do alright
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    This! +1
  • edited December 2013
    I have played a lot of 30p, 60p, 1.15 Dyms and I tell ya its hard to beat the rake.

So I moved back up to the 2.25 level recently as the rake is a little smaller then made enough to go to the 3.30s.

Now I am playing 5.50s and I think these easier (so far) Probably cause the rake is 10% plus more people love a gamble to double up there fiver quick.

Also I table select I look and see who is waiting, I have even deregged if a couple of people I know registers.
  • edited December 2013
    In general the higher the stakes the harder the games... over a 1000 game period im pretty sure the stats would back that up... although the time you are playing definitely affects the standard. If you are playing £11+ dyms in the day then pretty much each table will have 4/5 regs, where as you can play £11/22/33 on friday/saturday/sunday nights and find them to have a lot of recreational players and are far easier to beat.
  • edited December 2013
    Rub the magic lamp and I may appear
  • edited December 2013
    I think a common problem when people up their stakes is that they dont play their normal game and are scared of losing the higher buy in and then return to their comfort zone (lower level). If you plan on upping your stakes play with the same confidence you always do and try forget about the buy in. The points made earlier about choosing your opponenets is key imo. Personally Im an omaha player so i dont really have this choice but in holdem you will have more choice. I always prefer a mix of good and bad players.