You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have bet the turn instead?

edited December 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
peter27 Big blind   100.00 100.00 1125.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

david20120 Fold        
alumchine Fold        
paoni Fold        
KENNY2201 Call   100.00 200.00 1382.50
peter27 Raise   100.00 300.00 1025.00
KENNY2201 Call   100.00 400.00 1282.50
Flop

• K

peter27 Bet   200.00 600.00 825.00
KENNY2201 Call   200.00 800.00 1082.50
Turn

peter27 Check        
KENNY2201 Check        
River

peter27 Bet   400.00 1200.00 425.00
KENNY2201 Call   400.00 1600.00 682.50
peter27 Show
  • J
  • J

KENNY2201 Muck

peter27 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 4s 1600.00   2025.00
From a Six-Max game with no reads. Was concerned that after he called the flop he had a 3 or K which would have had me beat.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Given the fact you have got 11bb at the start of the hand  just jam pre imo. It's really difficult to play post flop with these stack sizes. 
  • edited December 2013
    What Chris said, with 10-11 bigs just jam,
  • edited December 2013
    Jam pre. As played, bet every street, it's a sin for you to make it to showdown without your stack being in the middle.
  • edited December 2013
    Pretty much everyone says jam with an okay hand and around 10BB's or less - but I've always disagreed. I feel like it's better to wait until 5BB's to do that. On numerous occasions, I have doubled up to 10BB's and then up to 20BB's with another good hand just by waiting a little bit longer.

In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead?:
    Jam pre. As played, bet every street, it's a sin for you to make it to showdown without your stack being in the middle.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Lambert :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Pretty much everyone says jam with an okay hand and around 10BB's or less - but I've always disagreed. I feel like it's better to wait until 5BB's to do that. On numerous occasions, I have doubled up to 10BB's and then up to 20BB's with another good hand just by waiting a little bit longer. In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead? : Thanks Lambert :-)
    Posted by peter27
    JJ on a 6 max table is not just an okay hand, its a premium hand!!! with 10bbs its a rub your hands and stroke the sh4ft hand!!!
  • edited December 2013
    Pretty much everyone says jam with an okay hand and around 10BB's or less - but I've always disagreed. I feel like it's better to wait until 5BB's to do that. On numerous occasions, I have doubled up to 10BB's and then up to 20BB's with another good hand just by waiting a little bit longer. In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead? : Thanks Lambert :-)
    Posted by peter27
    Ah man, Ivan has well and truly corrupted you! Ivan would raise fold from a single ante stack if he could ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Posted by peter27
    pete it's usually wise start going for a jam with hands when you have about 15BB of course with 15BB you could be tight with you jamming range and keep it to being hands like AJo+ A8s+ or 77+ and leave things like K high, 22-66 and A2-A8 out of that range until you get to just 10 blinds.
  • edited December 2013

Think one of the major things to consider is keeping it simple. With a pocket pair you will hit 1 in 7 times roughly. When you hold JJ about 50% of flops will contain an overcard. So the chances are you are not going to get a flop you like and you are not deep enough to play down the streets here. So all your action should be preflop. Playing it weak and then getting paranoid when you get resisitance is far from optimal.

Knowing the mindset of a lot of player. Anyone who open limps with a medium pp, if you jam on them they will dwell up and then know for 100% certainty that you have either AK or AQ and then call knowing full well they are racing.

In answer to your question. Should you have bet the turn? No because you should not have had any chips in front of you
  • edited December 2013
    Posted by peter27
    Why? What are you waiting for? Are you really that scared they've limped QQ+? If you had JJ with 5xBB would you get it in? Why is getting in 5xBB with JJ better than getting in 10xBB with JJ?
  • edited December 2013
    Posted by peter27
    If you just jam from 10bb you miss the dropping down to 5 to double up and then double through again to 20 you just double straight through to 20 :)
    Also you have alot more fold equity with 10bb than 5
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead? : JJ on a 6 max table is not just an okay hand, its a premium hand!!! with 10bbs its a rub your hands and stroke the sh4ft hand!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Fair point about it being a premium hand, but I had 425 behind at the end of the hand which would have been enough to get back into it still - I always see that as important in DYM's to be honest.

In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead? : Ah man, Ivan has well and truly corrupted you! Ivan would raise fold from a single ante stack if he could ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Ha! :D

In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead? : pete it's usually wise start going for a jam with hands when you have about 15BB of course with 15BB you could be tight with you jamming range and keep it to being hands like AJo+ A8s+ or 77+ and leave things like K high, 22-66 and A2-A8 out of that range until you get to just 10 blinds.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Yeah, pretty much everyone says this, and while I respect the opinion of more experienced players, I just don't see how shoving at 10BB's is a good option - especially in a DYM. I prefer to wait for a better hand and shove nearer 5BB's :-)

Think one of the major things to consider is keeping it simple. With a pocket pair you will hit 1 in 7 times roughly. When you hold JJ about 50% of flops will contain an overcard. So the chances are you are not going to get a flop you like and you are not deep enough to play down the streets here. So all your action should be preflop. Playing it weak and then getting paranoid when you get resisitance is far from optimal.   Knowing the mindset of a lot of player. Anyone who open limps with a medium pp, if you jam on them they will dwell up and then know for 100% certainty that you have either AK or AQ and then call knowing full well they are racing.  In answer to your question. Should you have bet the turn? No because you should not have had any chips in front of you
    Posted by Talon
    I completely understand that, however the problem with jamming is that if you lose, that's it. I played down the streets knowing I would (probably) get to the end of the hand with chips behind, and that was crucial in my decision.

In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead? : Why? What are you waiting for? Are you really that scared they've limped QQ+? If you had JJ with 5xBB would you get it in? Why is getting in 5xBB with JJ better than getting in 10xBB with JJ?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Or to say the question another way; why is getting in 10xBB with JJ better than getting in 5xBB with JJ? :D

Essentially I would say that 5BB's is desperate whereas at 10BB's, in a DYM, is really not .. people jam so frequently in this type of tournament that it's worth hanging on a bit longer in case they knock themselves out. I have snook into 3rd many times before by just holding on when I have like 1 or 2 BB's left :-)

In Response to Re: Should I have bet the turn instead? : If you just jam from 10bb you miss the dropping down to 5 to double up and then double through again to 20 you just double straight through to 20 :) Also you have alot more fold equity with 10bb than 5
    Posted by jams88
    But do you want to miss the dropping down to 5BB's to double up twice? That's my point here. It keep you in longer, and in a DYM, that's critical. People go mental in them with shoving :p

You do have more fold equity yes, but then you'll just pick up the blinds and be on 13BB's, not really worth the risk to be honest - in my opinion anyway.

@Everyone
    I understand why everyone says jam here, and I definitely respect your opinions as you're all prolly way more experienced than me. However, in my experiences, jamming at 10BB's in a DYM is just -EV. Towards the end of one of these tournaments, it all about surviving as other players tend to go crazy. Maybe this will be different at higher levels, but if I am going to come round to your way of thinking, it will more than likely be the hard way :p