You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Getting paid with aces...

Any ideas how to do it early on in a tournament? I got dealt them early on when the blinds were still 10/20 so decided to raise small and everyone still folded. Can anyone offer any advice on how to maximise the pot on this one without losing the hand?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Just shove and hope someone's got something to call with
  • edited December 2009
    with blinds at 10/20 im limping in or raising big make it 240 to go, it also depends on what mtt? 10 min blinds? and the buy in if it was a £100 buy in then the over raise pre wont work so im limping in, if it was only £5 buy in you will get called alot lighter so the big raise will prob work.
  • edited December 2009
    why not just raise 3x or 4x as you would enter the pot normally, if you dont get action so be it...

if you find you are consistently getting no action you may have to tight raising range, so open up the hands you will raise with, especially in later position..
  • edited December 2009
    no right or wrong way here, it depends on table, if its loose ill prob call then reraise any raise but i h8 getting dealt any good hands early...........
  • edited December 2009
    SHOVE SHOVE SHOVE!

You either raise and they fold
    Or you raise and the lad who calls (more than liely with connectors) will hit!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces...:
    SHOVE SHOVE SHOVE! You either raise and they fold Or you raise and the lad who calls (more than liely with connectors) will hit!
    Posted by HartshorN
    shove?? are you for real
  • edited December 2009
    You do realise getting aces doesn't mean you automatically win chips with them.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : shove?? are you for real
    Posted by royal_hugo

What is wrong with shoving, with blinds this low, if you make it 3times you will get all kinds of small pp's and suited connectors coming in and if you are not capable of throwing your aces you'll probably end up loosing more than you win. Shoving is a good option and a safer one. Yes you might get called by pocket 3's and have a 3 come on the flop which has happened to me, but if you aren't prepared to get your money in when you're 80% to win the hand when are you gonna get your money in?

Salazar

P.S don't just think this works on the micro stakes as i played AA like this in the first level of a $100 freezeout and got called by AJ suited. my double up was very much appreciated.
  • edited December 2009
    You do realise getting aces doesn't mean you automatically win chips with them.
    Posted by zing

shoving aces is always +ev though (in the long run/on average). but tbh im not sure i would do it at the start of a  tournament with a decent buy in. pocket aces vs top 20% of cards will win "only" 85% of the time. later in the tournament, esp with big blinds its a no brainer shove in most cases. 
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : shoving aces is always +ev though (in the long run/on average). but tbh im not sure i would do it at the start of a  tournament with a decent buy in. pocket aces vs top 20% of cards will win "only" 85% of the time. later in the tournament, esp with big blinds its a no brainer shove in most cases. 
    Posted by ajhgha
    are you serious? shoving aces is always +ev lol. wow.

just play them how u normally would except if its earlier in tourney when people wanna see cheap flops with garbage make your pf raise 5 or 6 times instead of 3 or 4

shoving is totally -ev, you get all hands u want to call (qj/kj/kq/aj) fold and u only get called by gamblers with small pps so if they do hit you never get a chance to get off the AA
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : are you serious? shoving aces is always +ev lol.
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    I MEAN HOW CAN SHOVIN THE BESS HAND BE +EV STOOPID

obv shoving AA is +EV, doesnt mean its not absolutely terrible.

lmao, just raise w/e ur standard is and play them as required.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : I MEAN HOW CAN SHOVIN THE BESS HAND BE +EV STOOPID obv shoving AA is +EV, doesnt mean its not absolutely terrible. lmao, just raise w/e ur standard is and play them as required.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    well obviously, technically, shoving aces is +ev I never disputed that, its just the most retarded thing to say, ever. and is not an argument u shud use to justify shoving!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : well obviously, technically, shoving aces is +ev I never disputed that, its just the most retarded thing to say, ever. and is not an argument u shud use to justify shoving!
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    It looked like you disputed it.

And obv its the most retarded thing ever, royal_hugo is saying the same thing as you so wat are you on about?
  • edited December 2009
    You lot make me laugh, you're all so concerned about playing abc, lets raise 4, no let raise 5, no the optimal way is raise 3.45 big blinds. lol
    What difference does it make to get a couple of hundred chips at this stage of an mtt? Do you really think that making 200 chips when the blinds are 10-20 is going to make one dot of difference in the overall chance of you cashing or going deep in this tourney?

I tell you what, you make it 4 times with your aces i'll call with my 57 suited and you can talk optimal when you've done half your stack coz you can't fold them.
  • edited December 2009
    I tell you what, you make it 4 times with your aces i'll call with my 57 suited and lose money because I have to c/f or get it in with a draw often enough to show a loss over a decent sample size
    Posted by salazar
    Fixed your post for you...

its better this way.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : Fixed your post for you... its better this way.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Lol, Show a loss over a decent sample size. This isn't cash were talking about, i'm sure the 80 chips i lose when i c/f will make a massive difference to whether i win or lose a tourney.

Just another one of your quality posts hey ladyfingers?
  • edited December 2009
    You lot make me laugh, you're all so concerned about playing abc, lets raise 4, no let raise 5, no the optimal way is raise 3.45 big blinds. lol What difference does it make to get a couple of hundred chips at this stage of an mtt? Do you really think that making 200 chips when the blinds are 10-20 is going to make one dot of difference in the overall chance of you cashing or going deep in this tourney? I tell you what, you make it 4 times with your aces i'll call with my 57 suited and you can talk optimal when you've done half your stack coz you can't fold them.
    Posted by salazar
    i'll tell you what why dont you post when you have something constructive to say ? or have i gone into too much detail for you?
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : Lol, Show a loss over a decent sample size. This isn't cash were talking about, i'm sure the 80 chips i lose when i c/f will make a massive difference to whether i win or lose a tourney. Just another one of your quality posts hey ladyfingers?
    Posted by salazar
    Yeah, they probably will since, if you're calling with 75s, then you're calling OOP with JTs, J9s, T9s, T8s, 98s, 97s, 87s, 86s, 76s at least which is a tonne of combo's of hands.

= you're calling and c/f'ing an absolute tonne, and in online tournies (when you're usually never 150BB's /> deep) this is terrible.

Salzaar, you give absolutely terrible, terrible advice.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : Yeah, they probably will since, if you're calling with 75s, then you're calling OOP with JTs, J9s, T9s, T8s, 98s, 97s, 87s, 86s, 76s at least which is a tonne of combo's of hands. = you're calling and c/f'ing an absolute tonne, and in online tournies (when you're usually never 150BB's /> deep) this is terrible. Salzaar, you give absolutely terrible, terrible advice.
    Posted by LadyFingrs

LMAO, it's taken you 2 days to reply and this is the best you can come up with.

Oh my god, pathetic. If i ever ever take your advice remind me to put a bullet through my head.

ROFL
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : LMAO, it's taken you 2 days to reply and this is the best you can come up with. Oh my god, pathetic. If i ever ever take your advice remind me to put a bullet through my head. ROFL
    Posted by salazar
    yeah, i brooded over this post endlessly for the past 2 days, trying and trying to come up with a response that would match your intellect and logical wizardry. Unfortuantely, that meagre post was the best I could offer.

Seriously though, if you think i'm horrible we should play HU sometime.

I doubt we'll be hearing much more from salzaar on this topic.
  • edited December 2009
    JUST FOLD AA EVERY TIME THEN IT MAKES IT SIMPLE NO ARGUMENTS ps this applys to kk and qq as well fold the  lot o yea
  • edited December 2009
       I have read throught he entire thread and found myself laughing at most of it, insulting eachother and over analysing unimportant issues. In response to the question asked. There are 3 things that you need to get paid with AA.
     1) An opponent who is willing to take you on and see a flop
     2) For that opponent to have enough of a hand to do so
     3) For them to get enough of the flop to go all the way with you but not enough to beat you

The main drawback is that we are talking the very early stages of a tournament and unless you have any notes on players from previous tournaments, they are all unknown quantities. You must raise with the hand because you do not want to go multiway to a flop. As to how much to raise it is difficult to say. 3xBB on a table with loose players might get you called in 3 spots, but on a table of rocks will be folded round. Your best hope is to be taking notes on as many players as possible and that way when you start a tournament you have a good chance to have a read on a few players on your table.

Unfortunately as with most poker questions the answer is "it depends"
  • ybyb
    edited December 2009
    Posted by salazar
    Wow that's got to be the worst piece of advice I've ever heard. Are you really that scared of playing a flop? You lose so much value playing aces that way its unreal. And in another post you say you happily call a 4bb raise with 7 5 suited??? Are you for real? That means your probably playing over 50% of your starting hands and in tournies when you're never going to be that deep to start with that is just so so bad. I'd be more than happy to raise 4bb with aces against you with your calling range being that wide...the vast majority of the time you're going to have to c/f, and if you do happen to hit a pair you'd probably stack off even more chips.
  • ybyb
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : Tell you whayt, pick a torney, any. we'll hsave a last longer bet, call it a tenner, fingers and ybbn which ever rocvk you crawlled fronm.  pick it, boing day on , i'll leave to you. lets see what you got donks
    Posted by salazar
    LOL....I think I've just about understood what you're trying to say here. But yeah, I'll probably be playing the primo on sunday if you're interested....the slower blind structure may not suit you though because a bit more skill is required.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : Tell you whayt, pick a torney, any. we'll hsave a last longer bet, call it a tenner, fingers and ybbn which ever rocvk you crawlled fronm.  pick it, boing day on , i'll leave to you. lets see what you got donks
    Posted by salazar
    yah, one tourny, that'll show who's the better player imo.

Play me HU cash any time, you're terrible.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : Are we talking tourney or cash, this post is tourney. Personally i don't care, find me on a cash table anytime. This is tourney we're talking, put your money down or STFU
    Posted by salazar
    It's still a hand of poker.

I don't rly play much on this site anymore, software tilt's me.

If you want we can play 4 tables of NL100 or NL50 on the site I frequent at the moment.

If you accept I will private message you the site (its one of the majors not some stupid obscure skin)

If you decline...STF U N00B!
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by salazar
    i know this is retarded but he does have a point, at the start of low buyin touneys it amazes me that the donks will call a allin shove into 10/20 blinds with hands like kq,  a10 , and sumtimes suited connecters lol, just had AA 2nd hand 1st level IM in BB small B limps with Q9 off i raise x5 bb he calls flops the Q its gets very messy then he rivers his 9, im donk shoving next time i get AA early levels lol lol lol
  • edited December 2009
    big hands are notoriously hard to play when the blinds are small even more so in micro buyins, i think you should totaly ignore what the blinds are as you normally get called by any old rubbish looking to hit something, so raise it big and lets play for the lot lol
  • edited December 2009
    big hands are notoriously hard to play when the blinds are small even more so in micro buyins, i think you should totaly ignore what the blinds are as you normally get called by any old rubbish looking to hit something, so raise it big and lets play for the lot lol
    Posted by N1CK
    QFT. ;)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Getting paid with aces... : QFT. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol