You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice for a beginner

edited December 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi I like to think of myself as a agressive player my results are very up and down due to me getting involved in hands I have no buisness in but the urge for action gets me involved In freeroles I have got myself a nice stack before only to blow it in one swoop of madness. The reason for the post is I love the game and would like improve where I can so any suggestions on games I should be playing to learn the game or clubs or anything all welcome. At the moment iv been playing micro double your moneys as I dont see myself as been a match for anybody who really knows there stuff.  

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hi Sweetpea

the games you are getting involved in are pretty much a free for all. I play some of them quite often and you would be amazed at some of the calls and pushes you get in these games, especially the freerolls.

You my want to look at some of the lower value tourneys to make a start - the DTD's are a good place which consist of 3 games costing £5.50 in total, and you get all calibre players involved from team members to interested amateurs like myself. I tend to play one of the three as don't really multi-table so only costs me 1.10.

Bounty hunters could suit your aggressive nature, but once again watch out for calls on draws and middle / bottom pairs as getting bountys is a good way to get your buy ins back and can be quite profitable when your cards hold. As a low stakes player I tend to limit myself to a 2.30 buy in held at 8ish pm every night in which there are generally over 100 players.  

I would suggest in either case you start off by playing premium hands only until you get the feel of the game you enter to see the scope of the hands being played.

hope this helps
  • edited December 2013
    ps check out the team talk pages for more info on the DTD's

regards

mac
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Advice for a beginner:
    ps check out the team talk pages for more info on the DTD's regards mac
    Posted by mac24

Many thanks for the sound advice hopefully I will see you at the tables and hope you had a nice Christmas.

Sweetpea