You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts on bet sizing?

edited December 2013 in The Poker Clinic
One player will call with any2, I was really trying to isolate pre so why i bet so much, i think this is a bit 2 much despite the 2 limpers, maybe 80p would have been better, in saying that both limpers called. Not ideal.

Thoughts on bet sizing through out the streets (really small?)
chefie1972 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.67
LARSON7 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £19.80
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

Call  £0.10 £0.25 £54.47
ry Call  £0.10 £0.35 £19.90
crossford Fold     
LUFC93 Fold     
chefie1972 Call  £0.05 £0.40 £8.62
LARSON7 Raise  £1.00 £1.40 £18.80
Call  £1.00 £2.40 £53.47
ri Call  £1.00 £3.40 £18.90
chefie1972 Fold     
Flop

• A

LARSON7 Bet  £1.10 £4.50 £17.70
xCall  £1.10 £5.60 £52.37
ri Fold     
Turn

• Q

LARSON7 Bet  £2.40 £8.00 £15.30
xCall  £2.40 £10.40 £49.97
River

LARSON7 Bet  £3.80 £14.20 £11.50
Fold     
LARSON7 Muck     
LARSON7 Win  £9.62  £21.12
LARSON7 Return  

Comments

• edited December 2013
    No idea why you are betting really small but it looks pretty obvious that you have a decent strength hand but one that can't stand much pressure.
  • edited December 2013
    Why bet small on this flop? If someone comes over the top are you going to fold? x had a lot of money behind to go after... especially if he is the one player who calls a lot
  • edited December 2013
    Cause ive bloated the pot so much pre.

And i only have Ace jack kicker.

Just trying to get max value from their weak holding.
  • edited December 2013
    I'd imagine though the reason you made your action pre is because they like to call lots with weak hands pre.

The reason you made it big was to get max value mostly from weaker hands that we dominate, so we should be trying to get max value postflop too. Really we only went behind to A2/A6 on the flop and I don't think we can suddenly start being scared of just AQ/AK cos we made that raise pre knowing we'd get called very wide.

If they have complete air on the flop like KJ/KT/K9/Q8 blah blah, then they're not gonna call 1/2/3 streets anyway so we should just get max value from the hands they will call with like non-2pr Ax hands and maybe like 33-TT (discounting sets) 

When you say you've bloated it loads pre and only have TP with J kicker... what were you expecting to flop? This is a pretty great flop for us and now  we can get more value than normal because the pot is so bloated

• edited December 2013
    i like it .. and often play up to turn this way

on such a dry flop where we pretty much have the nuts i like betting small or checking - i know im unlikely to get stacks in so not im not playing for stacks but to try and get at least some value from a dry board..
    between betting and checking its close but do like a small flop bet cos as we have inflated the pot pre we dont need to bet much as a bluff on this board to get folds- 

once we get to turn id probally prefer to check call hoping to get 2 more streets from maybe a worse A or any over played hand that got to river- 

u say u only have A with the Jack kicker but this is gonna be the nuts too often so think u played it well -
  • edited December 2013
    Yeah Leon it's a dream board for ace jack lol

On the river, i ike the idea of checking to induce a bluff.

My thinking at the time on the river was

1) I think they will call me pretty wide if i bet, with 2nd/3rd pair type hands, weaker ace type hands

2) They might try and raise a river bet with such hand as a bluff (maybe seeing my small bets as weakness)
  • edited December 2013

1. the problem is the board texture is  too dry

u just wont get ppl calling all the way down with a worse hand, so decide what u want to acheive and the best way to achieve it - 

in this hand we could go for one dencent sized flop bet and again on turn - standard 

or think of other ways to get value that you may not have got--

its important to think what u do with other holdings and to think what villain 'puts u on' 

if we bet small flop then give up the lead - we take advantage of all floats and worse hands which give us action that before just wouldnt give us- say we bet small flop and villain does think -

'' hey ,i can float this dry board and get him off his pokect pair'' 

as long as ur happy to call down vs a broader range than why not go  for it... villain could have a worse ace have think they have to value bet turn and river once checked to..

2. ppl wont triple float to raise river as a bluff - if someone veiws ur bets as weak then in general they would have raised long before the river 

• edited December 2013
    prob checking one street, undecided on which though