You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts on this fold against a tight player

edited December 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PiranhaNo1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.75
LARSON7 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £27.24
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

greydeath1 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £9.26
x_ Raise  £0.40 £0.65 £16.77
bobofett Fold     
Fearless28 Call  £0.40 £1.05 £19.27
PiranhaNo1 Fold     
LARSON7 Call  £0.30 £1.35 £26.94
greydeath1 Call  £0.30 £1.65 £8.96
Flop

LARSON7 Bet  £1.24 £2.89 £25.70
greydeath1 Fold     
Call  £1.24 £4.13 £15.53
Fearless28 Fold     
Turn

LARSON7 Bet  £2.07 £6.20 £23.63
Raise  £8.27 £14.47 £7.26
LARSON7 Fold     
Muck

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Intitial thoughts... wow!

After that, wow! again!!

"tight player" isn't enough to justify this fold.

Not folding this in a million years as played...........

What were your thoughts on each street?
  • edited December 2013

You say he's tight.
    Unlikely then that he's raising Ace rag suited.
    That leaves AK and 8's or 7's

If he's got one of those hands, good luck to him.

Call
  • edited December 2013
    lol thought i might get that response.

He's super tight, like nut peddler tight.

I don't think he's every doing this with a hand i beat. The only possible hand he could have is Ace d Ace x which i'm ahead of.

I don't think he would play Ad Ace x like this tho.

He said in the box he had the nut flush, would make sense he was slow playing it. Could be wrong, but felt like an easyish fold against this player.

If they ever do another "request my play" section on the TV ill request this hand.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on this fold against a tight player:
    Intitial thoughts... wow! After that, wow! again!! "tight player" isn't enough to justify this fold. Not folding this in a million years as played........... What were your thoughts on each street?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Preflop, i call cause can flop pretty well, and happy 2 see a flop 4 way with it.

Couldn't have asked for a much better flop!

I lead out to build value and also to protect my hand.

Or could have went for a check raise.

My turn bet is really bad. I should have bet much bigger.

When he raises me for most of his stack, just feel that he can't ever be doing this with a hand i beat.
  • edited December 2013
    I could probably never fold that hand! Redraw to the straight flush... fold? You're kidding, right?
  • edited December 2013
    Absolutely no point in calling with this hand if we are to then just fold on the turn.

Just get the money in, if he has us beat then so be it.
  • edited December 2013

Bit dramatic in 1st post, soz.

Thought he'd 3b pre flop so he couldn't possibly have a full house and can only beat us with 1 hand, AK of diamonds.

Still think he raises sets on the flop though, 2pairs too, if he even has any of those hands in his pf raising range.

Maybe you can still narrow him right down to the AK or AT of diamonds only.

Fun games @ nl10 ;)

• edited December 2013

I think the fold here is the correct descion, you flop as well as you could have expected.
      also your bet sizing I would say is fine, the turn card is such a horrid card for your hand, or is it, probably saved you.

If as you say is super tight, what hands is he raising with pre an over pair to the board, with a diamond ?
      AK, A10 d,77,88,99.
     For you to lock up the hand u have to hit the 10d, so when he re raises your turn bet,i would think u have to put , your opponent on 1 of the hands that are crushing you at present.so come the river he,s looking to get the rest of his chips in.
    as your first to act ,you cant check the river as then your basically giving him the hand.so the fold is imo is the correct descion, if aginst a more inventive player then its a call,then check call river.

so when u think ur behind with only 1 out of increasing your hand value ,it has to be a fold.

im not as good a playe or well disciplined as I should be, I would have shoved the turn re-raise and lost the lot lol

hope this helps
  • edited December 2013
    no point posting this if u know its a good fold vs the player but they have to be insanely straight forward... we dont know exactly how tight they are, only u do but if they can never play a hand like Aces with the diamond like this and only can only be a better hand then yea jus fold i spose.. sounds silly playing hands like this and flopping the world but  if he 100% always has what their repping and nothing else, then im not going to jus give him more money because i cant fold a hand.. 

dunno if im good enough to fold here but id jus try to imagine playin 50/100 vs the biggest nit who makes it 8k and then think what i would do with whats now a very marginal hand - Hmmm

• edited December 2013
    Thanks everyone.

Leon i just posted it to see other peoples views.

One the of the biggest folds i've ever made, i think it's a good fold, but there's always that element of doubt.

This is one of the 3 or 4 players i'd fold this against.

Opponent said he had the nut flush in the chatbox, which would make sense he's slow played it, and got scared with the board pairing.
  • edited December 2013
    yea i didnt mean to sound like that jus saying we wonbt know if that villian is as tight as u say cos only u know if they were or not lol 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on this fold against a tight player:
    Thanks everyone. Leon i just posted it to see other peoples views. One the of the biggest folds i've ever made, i think it's a good fold, but there's always that element of doubt. This is one of the 3 or 4 players i'd fold this against. Opponent said he had the nut flush in the chatbox, which would make sense he's slow played it, and got scared with the board pairing.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Tbh, I don't think this does make sense from one of the standard rocks I assume it was at 10/20NL. 

I'd imagine most of them would be raising the flop with the flopped nuts most of the time cos it's so wet and they can get action from loads of hands. 

But if they did flat the flop, the turn is a pretty horrendous card for them as it houses up pretty much every set/2pr. If they slowplayed flop, I doubt they'd then take off on a card that's pretty bad for them and pretty good for your perceived range, I also doubt most of the proper proper rocks are ever taking off too much with any flush on a paired board.

FWIW, why did we donk flop? I'd prefer a check/raise

P.S. They probably have a house 90%+ of the time
  • edited December 2013

Something i'm playing with is leading out sometimes with a wide range of hands and strengths, good hands/ bad hands.

It works really well.

Sometimes i'll check raise as well, just always keeping it different, makes it a lot harder for players to put you on a hand.

• edited December 2013
    i totaly agree villains line doesnt make sense with nut flush- one thing i foggot to point out
  • edited December 2013
    Yeah it doesn't make sense to look at pair boards and all of a sudden we go crazy with what was the nuts.

But it makes sense as well, that its a scare card for the nut flush and he has decided he just wants to get it in. And he's prob never putting me on a FH.

• edited December 2013
    Standard fold, wp. Not sure if people realise the flop was 4 way but this makes ranges much, much tighter. Obviously in a HU pot you would need a super concrete read though to fold here.